Diamond Dog Food "Recall" UPDATE!!!!

Sam H

Well...After reading all the comments on the recall for Diamond Dog Food....I decided to "look" into it myself.
I called Diamond/4health dog food home office today in Meta Missouri...After speaking with the lady who answered the phone and telling her my concerns , she put me in touch with the Quality Control Dept...I spoke with Cordele Schroder at length about this issue.I am going to paraphrase and give a summary of our conversation...During a standard USDA inspection , a normal/ but new test was conducted concerning salmonella...the test came back positive with a higher percentage rate than the "in-house" standards like...NOT an alarming high percentage , so Diamond Dog Food recalled the food by thier own accord, this recall was NOT mandated by the USDA...and it was only from ONE particular production batch of food from ONE plant,which was located in South Carolina..(The other plants,California and Missouri were not affected) and only a small percentage of that batch was affected as they listed the "batch numbers" to pin point this...***There have been NO reports or complaints from ANY consumer about their dogs having any problems***ALSO....The 4health Brand Label was never affected , as their food comes from differant areas, also being the chemical make-up is differant.
In relation to the recall of 2005..That was concerning aflatoxins in the grains of Diamond (specifically corn/wheat) of which they now have in place some of the most stringent checks/balances in the industry...also testing for aflatoxins and salmonella have advanced "light years" in the last seven years to prevent another disaster from reacurring as before.

Also...I was unaware,But.... that ALL dogs have a small percentage of salmonella in their systems , but thier immune systems counter it...The percentage amount of salmonella detected was not high enough to affect the health of animals , but higher than Diamond's own "in -house restrictions/requirements"....... thus the recall from thier own Quality Control Dept.

I just had to find out for myself...As my pups have only had this food since they were weaned from thier momma....Hope this helps

StevePickard

Sam,
I appreciate you checking into this and giving us a report. I also did some checking concerning recalls also and a lot of the other big name companies that advertise a lot more than Diamond have had numerous recalls in the past. Its not just limited to Diamond. Eukanuba has had literally twice the number of recalls that Diamond has had since 2007. Although a lot of folks on here won't feed Diamond Naturals, I haven't found any reason to switch. I like the fact that the Diamond Naturals are rated as a 4 star food and I also like the fact that your conversation with them has shown they are making very good efforts to insure quality.
Steve

Setter Jax

Steve and Sam,

Good points, thank you for checking into this. I still feed Diamond and 4 Health. It's a good quality feed at a reasonable price and our beloved hunting companions aren't eating a bunch of corn and by products.

SJ

Sam,
I appreciate you checking into this and giving us a report. I also did some checking concerning recalls also and a lot of the other big name companies that advertise a lot more than Diamond have had numerous recalls in the past. Its not just limited to Diamond. Eukanuba has had literally twice the number of recalls that Diamond has had since 2007. Although a lot of folks on here won't feed Diamond Naturals, I haven't found any reason to switch. I like the fact that the Diamond Naturals are rated as a 4 star food and I also like the fact that your conversation with them has shown they are making very good efforts to insure quality.
Steve

Setter Jax

Went to TS this weekend and spoke to the manager. He said that he was aware of the recall and that they did not receive any of the effected feed. He told me this happens sometimes with all companies not just diamond dog food. Once they receive a recall they immediately pull the feed. He stated that TS has an excellent reputation and TS will not sell bad feed to peoples pets, horses and livestock. He said that they wouldn't be in business very long if they did that.

SJ

StevePickard

I found out today that unfortunately Diamond has had 2 more recalls. See links below for more info:
April 26, 2012-Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul Adult Light Formula dry dog food
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/diamond-dog-food-recall-expanded/

April 30, 2012 Diamond Puppy formula dry dog food
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/diamond-dog-food-recall-widens/

I have been a big supporter of Diamond Natural Dog food, but in light of now 3 recalls in just a few weeks and one involving puppy food, I going to start looking at new foods. I'm going to search the recall lists in the next few days and try to come up with a list of the manufacturers with the fewest recalls that carry 4 and 5 star food. I'll post what I find out.
Steve

Sam H

WELL,WELL,WELL......As Steve , being a big advocate/supporter and "vocal defender" of Diamond dog food....This is to much...Also , I was in TSC last week and noticed the shelves nearly cleared of all Diamond/4health food I questioned the clerk...then the Mgr...they told me it was a distrinution problem between the Manufacturer and CD(central distribution) ,should have more product in 2-3 weeks...WHAT!?...I specifically asked if this had anything to go with the/a recall....they said NO!....I was either lied to or they told me what the "higher ups" told them....

So....I'm a big enough man to say I was wrong , and hope NO ONE has sick pups....and Pray Bella/Colt dont get sick....Me being upset right now , might just be the biggest understatement of the year

Without me doing reserch....can any of you Purina Pro users , tell me if it has corn/wheat/soy fillers....as I am currently looking for a new food

Last edited:

StevePickard

Sam,
I'm just starting to work on my research, but here's a copy and paste of Purina Pro Plan ingredients from the website, Dog Food Advisor http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

Ingredients: Chicken, brewers rice, whole grain wheat, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of vitamin E), whole grain corn, soy flour, corn bran, soybean meal, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal digest, glycerin, salt, dried egg product, calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, sulfur, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), zinc proteinate, manganese sulfate, niacin, manganese proteinate, vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B-12 supplement, copper proteinate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), sodium selenite

Fiber (estimated dry matter content) = 3.4%

They rate Pro Plan as a 2 star dog food.

Purina Pro Plan Selects seem to have ingredients more closely related to what we've been trying to feed. It is listed as a 3 star dog food.
Ingredients: Beef, barley, brewers dried yeast, brewers rice, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), dried egg product, oat meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of vitamin E), dried beet pulp, pea protein, fish oil, natural flavor, salt, potassium chloride, calcium phosphate, dried carrots, dried tomatoes, dried sweet potatoes, calcium carbonate, vitamin E supplement, l-lysine monohydrochloride, zinc proteinate, dl-methionine, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, copper proteinate, vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), sodium selenite

Fiber (estimated dry matter content) = 4.5%

I will say that so far, and I'm just starting to doing some research, the Purina company has had very, very few recalls since 2007.
I'm still looking for something in the 4 star range....if I can find it at an affordable price, but I'm going to do some extensive research in trying to find what I want to switch to. I'll keep you posted on what I turn up.
Steve

Sam H

Thanks Steve....The "Pro Plan Selects" is what I started looking at...Only thing I didn't like was they don't have a lamb/rice formula(which all my dogs are used to) in the Selects version...I need to read the review to see why they list it a 3star..because of the ingrediants they list , I don't get that 3star rating?....But then...I guess we might not need to get hung up on "star" ratings if it has the ingrediants I want??!!

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Steve, Sam, what is "Taste of the Wild" rated? Tractor Supply sells it. I've been feeding it to Abby for over 9 mos. It's not inexpensive, however, but with one dog that's not much of an issue. Three or more dogs it would be. Gil

Sam H

Steve, Sam, what is "Taste of the Wild" rated? Tractor Supply sells it. I've been feeding it to Abby for over 9 mos. It's not inexpensive, however, but with one dog that's not much of an issue. Three or more dogs it would be. Gil

Gil,
"Taste of the Wild" is rated 5star...Good food...Sam

FYI.....And everyone else's....I went to TSC this am rather upset about the recall and me having bought a 30lb bag of Diamond sat morn , now another recall!!!....To get to the point...TSC did the right thing , refunded my money....sold me a 30lb bag of "Blue" lamb and rice for a discounted price...my out of pocket was less than $4....I call that service...IMHO

And....this particular TSC location Still has not been notified of a recall!!

StevePickard

Gil,
Like Sam said...Taste of the Wild is 5 star...their best rating. What are you paying for it??

Here's what's in it:
Taste of the Wild Wetlands Formula

Dry Dog Food

Estimated Dry Matter Nutrient Content

Ingredients: Duck, duck meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, roasted quail, roasted duck, smoked turkey, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, Yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Fiber (estimated dry matter content) = 4.4%

Steve

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Steve, depending on where I buy it, after taxes, $42-47 per 30 lbs.
The highest price is 3 blocks from where I live. TSC is the cheapest, but the gas costs to Rincon don't make it worth driving to unless I'm heading in that direction to hunt. I use the Bison/Venison mix. No grain; sweet potato is the major vegetable.
I've been drying slices of sweet potato on the oven rack at a low setting for bribes for Abby. She loves it. Gil

Benjie Boswell

Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond pet foods and you may see a bit of a distribution problem on it as well. I own a feed store myself, and have been having some problems getting Diamond and TOW. The way it was explained to me is that all the feed is now coming here from the Missouri plant as the SC plant is not back on line. This limits the volume the distributors have here.

Sam H

Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond pet foods and you may see a bit of a distribution problem on it as well. I own a feed store myself, and have been having some problems getting Diamond and TOW. The way it was explained to me is that all the feed is now coming here from the Missouri plant as the SC plant is not back on line. This limits the volume the distributors have here.

DANG.....Diamond's fingers reach Waaaay out....Taste of Wild....Hmmmm...I'm surprised!

Watch out Gil:eek:.....For now I'm sticking with "BLUE"....But giving Purina Pro Plan a HARD look...I was at a clinic in Miss. March a year ago with "Ronnie Smith"(Huntsmith seminars)ie;Rick Smith and Delmar Smith....They Highly recommend it and say that Purina has one of the Best QC programs in the industry...pretty darned good recommendation coming from those guys....AND "of course" our own Julia H...;)

thanks for the info Benjie

ngaduck

Banned
But then...I guess we might not need to get hung up on "star" ratings if it has the ingrediants I want??!!

I agree with this. I don't care for the rating websites. I feed Pro Plan Performance to all 3 of my labs. All have good muscle tone, shiny coats, and good stools. As long as I see good results, I will keep feeding it. My opinion, there is no one good food for all dogs. You have to find the one that your dog does best on and go with it.

waterdogs

Diamond makes food for others as well. ARTEMIS,CANIDAE,KIRKLANDS,NATURAL BALANCE,SOLID GOLD,TASTE OF THE WILD,AND WELLNESS, THEY ALSO PRODUCE CHICKEN SOUP BRAND AS WELL......i FEED AND LIKE purina pro plan

ROAM

have not been on much lately so I have missed alot of this conversation, but have been aware of the recall through facebook (of all places). I have 'friended' Dog Food Advisor and so I am able to see updates in my newsfeed whenever something goes down with food recalls and the like.
For what its worth I have tried Purina Pro Plan for a couple of months and liked it. The ratings were not all that bad on the online reference sites, the problem was that my birddog favored the 'Blue' that was being fed to the wife's lapdog.
Needless to say, because of the constant battle of my dog trying to eat the lapdog's food....we made the switch over to Blue Buffalo for each dog. It seems to be healthy as far as I can tell (internet), and for some reason my dog seems to like it alot. Never have any problems with appetite and muscle tone seems to be getting better. If I had a whole kennel of dogs i wouldnt be able to feed it though.

I know its like offering advice on breed, shotgun type, training method etc.
If anything.... for those who are on facebook, the dogfoodadvisor page is an easy way to stay up to speed on developments with food recalls.