Diamond Dog Food "Recall" UPDATE!!!!

Coach K

Ladies & Gents,

There is a farm supply store right by my school that sells a 30/20 50lb bag for 20$. As soon as I finish off these 12 bags of Eukanuba from that contest last year, I'm going to make that my feed. Plus, buy 10 bags & they have some sort of discount. L & L Farm Supply in Milledgeville, GA. For what some of you "blue bloods" are paying you could drive over from all the surrounding states & still come out ahead.! ;-) Google search it & talk to the manager (who owns the store) or wait till I can give you a report in Sept, or so? The owner is a good guy who used to have bird dogs, but runs coon trials now. He also did me good by ordering that Eukanuba for me & getting the dealer to to throw in 3 extra bags since my coupons were for 40# bags, but "Euk" had downsized their bags to 33#. So, he's a fair man!, for sure.

Coach K

have not been on much lately so I have missed alot of this conversation, but have been aware of the recall through facebook (of all places). I have 'friended' Dog Food Advisor and so I am able to see updates in my newsfeed whenever something goes down with food recalls and the like.
For what its worth I have tried Purina Pro Plan for a couple of months and liked it. The ratings were not all that bad on the online reference sites, the problem was that my birddog favored the 'Blue' that was being fed to the wife's lapdog.
Needless to say, because of the constant battle of my dog trying to eat the lapdog's food....we made the switch over to Blue Buffalo for each dog. It seems to be healthy as far as I can tell (internet), and for some reason my dog seems to like it alot. Never have any problems with appetite and muscle tone seems to be getting better. If I had a whole kennel of dogs i wouldnt be able to feed it though.

I know its like offering advice on breed, shotgun type, training method etc.
If anything.... for those who are on facebook, the dogfoodadvisor page is an easy way to stay up to speed on developments with food recalls.

good post re: the facebook page. Thxs I'm going to check it out

Benjie Boswell

Just got an updated recall notice. The recall now includes some skus of Wellness, Natural Balance and Canidae. All skus of Diamond, Chicken Soup, Diamond Naturals, Country Value, Premium Edge, Diamond Professional and Taste of the Wild are affected within certain production dates. The production codes affected in the second group have a 2 or 3 in the 9th or 10th digit and an X in the 11th digit. The best before dates are December 9, 2012 through April 7,2013.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Benjie, thanks. I hotfooted it to my local feed and seed and the owner had spoken with a factory rep and the critical digit is the 9th. The 10th digit report is error. You might want to check further. Gil

Sam H

Coach....Thanks for posting the article by usa today....The article states that the SC plant was shut down April 8th....If you notice...I made my post about speaking with the QC rep( Cordele Schroder) on April 12th....he made NO mention of the SC plant being closed and told me the problem had been eliminated and was a "very isolated" case....WELLLLL.... pretty much call that a "bald face lie"...those might be strong words....But if the shoe fits!...........

I spoke with and spent some time with David King-Royal Run Kennels-(Julia H's trainer) at a short seminar for 'holding steady to wing and shot' today...(more on that later)....He feeds Nothing But Purina Pro Plan Performance....Now,in the last 15mo's , that's the second National Trainer of bird dogs that has given such a strong recomendation for Purina Pro Plan(the other was Ronnie Smith-HuntSmith seminars)...and thier very livelyhood depends on a quality doog food...and as I stood while looking at kennels with at least 25 dogs , plus a new litter of 9 new GSP pups....I made my decision about Purina Pro Plan...Guess what it is

namrettes

Coach....Thanks for posting the article by usa today....The article states that the SC plant was shut down April 8th....If you notice...I made my post about speaking with the QC rep( Cordele Schroder) on April 12th....he made NO mention of the SC plant being closed and told me the problem had been eliminated and was a "very isolated" case....WELLLLL.... pretty much call that a "bald face lie"...those might be strong words....But if the shoe fits!...........

I spoke with and spent some time with David King-Royal Run Kennels-(Julia H's trainer) at a short seminar for 'holding steady to wing and shot' today...(more on that later)....He feeds Nothing But Purina Pro Plan Performance....Now,in the last 15mo's , that's the second National Trainer of bird dogs that has given such a strong recomendation for Purina Pro Plan(the other was Ronnie Smith-HuntSmith seminars)...and thier very livelyhood depends on a quality doog food...and as I stood while looking at kennels with at least 25 dogs , plus a new litter of 9 new GSP pups....I made my decision about Purina Pro Plan...Guess what it is

Not trying to stir things up, but do you think that those National Trainers are sponsored by Purina ? or maybe at least get big discounts for promoting Purina feeds ?

Sam H

Not trying to stir things up, but do you think that those National Trainers are sponsored by Purina ? or maybe at least get big discounts for promoting Purina feeds ?

YES...And that's a Very Good question , because I asked that!!!....BOTH of thier answers were basically the same...Even IF Purina "gave" them the food , which they DON'T..But do discount it....This is thier living , thier reputation....If they have clients dogs that (which are canine athlete's) are continually having digestive problems , don't build muscle , have no endurance, etc , etc....a unhappy dog physically and mentally is not going to learn and perform as it should.....and here's the kicker...1st "they wouldn't do it to the dog"(that impressed me!)....2cnd - they would be out of business....Now that's sort of hard to argue with

BTW...Eukanuba was the second food I heard mentioned the most...FYI Coach K , so you're also spot on!

Last edited:

ROAM

Ladies & Gents,

There is a farm supply store right by my school that sells a 30/20 50lb bag for 20$. As soon as I finish off these 12 bags of Eukanuba from that contest last year, I'm going to make that my feed. Plus, buy 10 bags & they have some sort of discount. L & L Farm Supply in Milledgeville, GA. For what some of you "blue bloods" are paying you could drive over from all the surrounding states & still come out ahead.! ;-) Google search it & talk to the manager (who owns the store) or wait till I can give you a report in Sept, or so? The owner is a good guy who used to have bird dogs, but runs coon trials now. He also did me good by ordering that Eukanuba for me & getting the dealer to to throw in 3 extra bags since my coupons were for 40# bags, but "Euk" had downsized their bags to 33#. So, he's a fair man!, for sure.

You are right about the cost of 'blue', if my dog was a larger breed I couldnt buy it. One bag last almost two months so its not too bad. If i were to get more dogs, there would definitely be a change. The cost isnt much more than the pro plan and the dog seems to like it more. I was wondering whether you knew the name of the food you found over in m'ville at the feed store. If its a quality food, saving some $ would be nice! I will look forward to your report once you get on it.

Jetjockey

YES...And that's a Very Good question , because I asked that!!!....BOTH of thier answers were basically the same...Even IF Purina "gave" them the food , which they DON'T..But do discount it....This is thier living , thier reputation....If they have clients dogs that (which are canine athlete's) are continually having digestive problems , don't build muscle , have no endurance, etc , etc....a unhappy dog physically and mentally is not going to learn and perform as it should.....and here's the kicker...1st "they wouldn't do it to the dog"(that impressed me!)....2cnd - they would be out of business....Now that's sort of hard to argue with

BTW...Eukanuba was the second food I heard mentioned the most...FYI Coach K , so you're also spot on!

I think you hit the nail on the head. Many trainers have clients who "expect" thier dogs to win. Having winning dogs on a string is very important to a trainer. Many prospective clients will look at a trainers success at trials to determine who they chose to train their dogs. Trainers need wins as proof of their abilities. They aren't going to feed food that doesn't work well with their dogs........ Now, with that said. My trainer has fed both Purina PP and Eukanuba Performance. He has the list of wins to back up his success as well. He placed a dog at this years AKC Gun Dog Nationals against 118 other dogs, and he had 2 of the 12 dogs who got called back. He is one of very few trainers who have won both the Open All Age, and Open Gun Dog American Brittany Club Nationals. He has placed the Runner Up National Champion 3 years in a row, and done very, very well at the Champoinship level of trials in the brittany world (Championships are both AKC and AF sanctioned trials that are one hour braces). He has put Purina and Eukanuba side by side and compared them both. His opinion is that he gets better results out of the Eukanuba then he does the PP. He says that the dogs seem to have better stamina and can go longer with the Eukanuba, especially in higher temps of the late spring and early fall trials. According to him the dogs tend to run a little "hot" on PP when running in high temps. He is not the only one I have heard that from either. If your not running your dogs in high heat, then I don't think it matters very much, both are very good food. But if your running dogs in high heat, seems the guys I have talked to get a little better results from the Eukanuba........ My dog has been on both, and she does better with the Eukanuba, but I don't think you can go wrong with either. Im sure there are some dogs who do better on the PP then the Eukanuba.

Setter Jax

Diamond Pet Foods Expands Voluntary Recall of Dry Pet Food Due to Potential Salmonella Contamination

Batches of the brands manufactured between December 9, 2011 and April 7, 2012 are affected

Brands included in the recall include:

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
Country Value
Diamond
Diamond Naturals
Premium Edge
Professional
4Health
Taste of the Wild

http://www.diamondpet.com/information/

The recall affects only products distributed in the following U.S. states and Canada. Further distribution through other pet food channels may have occurred.

Alabama
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Kentucky
Massachusetts
Maryland
Michigan
Mississippi
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
Virginia
Canada

Setter Jax

The Kirkland Signature products included in the recall include:

Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Lamb, Rice & Vegetable Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Mature Dog Chicken, Rice & Egg Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Formulated with Chicken & Vegetables (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Cat Formula (December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs (December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
To determine if their pet food is recalled, consumers should check the production codes on the back of bags must have both a number “3” in the 9th position AND an “X” in the 11th position. The best-before dates for the recalled brands listed are December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013.

The recall affects only products distributed in the following U.S. states, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Alabama
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vermont
Virginia
Canada
Puerto Rico

Setter Jax

Recall Listing since 2007, so what are we supposed to feed our hunting companions. Almost all the big names are on the list, Purina, Eukaban, ect....

SJ

The dog food recall list included all of the following well known brands:

Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
Authority
Award
Best Choice
Compliments
Big Bet
Big Red
Bloom
Cadillac
Companion
Del Monte Treats and Snacks
Demoulas Market Basket
Eukanuba
Fine Feline Cat
Food Lion
Foodtown
Giant Companion
Great Choice
Hannaford
Hill Country Fare
Hills Pet Nutrition Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry cat food
Hy-Vee
Iams
J E Mondou
Laura Lynn
Li'l Red
Loving Meals
Medi Cal
Meijers Main Choice
Menu Foods
Mighty Dog Pouch
Mixables
Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea dry cat food
Nutriplan
Nutro Max
Nutro Max Gourmet Classics
Nutro Natural Choice
Nutro Products
Nutro Ultra
Nutro
Ol'Roy Canada
Ol'Roy US
Paws
Pet Essentials
Pet Pride - Good n Meaty
Presidents Choice
Price Chopper
Priority Canada
Priority US
Publix
Purina Alpine Prime Cuts in Gravy
Roche Brothers
Royal Canin - Sensible Choice
Royal Canin - Kasco
Save-A-Lot Choice Morsels
Save-A-Lot Special Blend
Schnucks
Science Diet Kitten Savory Cuts Ocean Fish
Science Diet Feline Adult Savory Cuts Beef, Chicken and Ocean Fish
Science Diet Feline Senior Savory Cuts Chicken
Shep Dog
Sophistacat
Special Kitty Canada
Special Kitty U.S.
Springsfield Prize
Sprout
Stater Brothers
Stop & Shop Companion
Tops Companion
Wegmans Bruiser
Weis Total Pet
Western Family US
White Rose
Winn Dixie
Your Pet

Sam H

Shon....I know almost , if not all , have had a recall of some sorts...And You Know, what a big advocate of Diamond I was.....But...Basically 3-4recalls in less than two months...and then have the QC supervisor,blatently lie to me on the phone of it being an "isolated case"...That's enough for me , I'm done with them

Setter Jax

Sam,

I agree, I guess it's back to the drawling board to re-search a new feed for the pups. What did you decide on?

Shon

StevePickard

Ditto to what Sam said about Diamond!

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to switch to. My local hardware/feed store is a dealer for PMI Nutrition dog food. Supposedly PMI is a subsidiary of Purina and PMI stands for Purina Mills, Inc. My research shows that it is, and from what I can find out, it is only sold by dealers. Has anyone had any experience with this company?
I'm interested because my research so far shows that Purina has probably had the fewest numbers of recalls and Pro Plan Selects have ingredients closest to what I would like to be feeding my dogs. However it is very expensive, especially when feeding 3 dogs.
PMI Nutrition has a brand called Exclusive Chicken and Rice that has ingredients fairly similar to Pro Plan Selects Chicken and Brown Rice, but it is about $20.00 per bag cheaper.

Here's a link comparing ingredients of Exclusive to other foods including Pro Plan Selects:

http://www.exclusivepetfood.com/dog/ECMD2-0031755.aspx

Here's the PMI Nutrition Exclusive Chicken and Rice ingredients:

Chicken, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin), brewers rice, oatmeal, whole grain brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), corn gluten meal, beet pulp, natural chicken flavor, egg product, flaxseed, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, salmon oil (a source of DHA), choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid.

Pro Plan Selects Chicken and Brown Rice ingredients:

Chicken, barley, dried egg product, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), brewers dried yeast, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), brown rice, oat meal, pea protein, dried beet pulp, natural flavor, fish oil, salt, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, dried tomatoes, dried carrots, dried sweet potatoes, zinc proteinate, Vitamin E supplement, DL-Methionine, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, copper proteinate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
C-4407

Ingredients are fairly similar but what concerns me is that if this is in fact a Purina product, why is it considerably cheaper in price? Hopefully I've stumbled on a more affordable high end Prunia product, but I want to see if any of you guys have any experience with the product.
Steve

Sam H

Steve...The PMI is something new to me...But I'm looking into it...Food Advisor gives it a 1star....eekk....BUT...It's Purina and the more I check references,etc...the more I'm going that way....I just DON'T like the "corn products" in a dog food...

BTW...FYI...Today , I found out George Hickox is also a Purina guy...So with Ronnie Smith(Huntsmith seminars) and David King(Royal Run Kennels)....Thats THREE nationally renowned "bird dog" trainers that use Purina and at any time , between the three of them...they probably have 70-90 dogs under thier care being trained...Hmmm

Shon...Right now I am feeding "Blue Buffalo"...But only because the mgr of the local TSC is cutting me a deal , till I decide...I just can't afford $50/30lb bag!! feeding 4dogs and next spring another Britt...

StevePickard

Sam
I saw the same thing on Food Advisor, but from what I saw, that is not the Exclusive product. I didn't find the Exclusive product....they have several different products...just like there is Purina One...Purina Pro Plan...Purina Pro Plan Selects.
I don't like the corn either, but at least the corn is not ground whole corn and its pretty far down the list. I just did an ingredient comparison and it is almost exactly (except for the corn gluten) the same ingredients as Diamond Natural Chicken and Rice....I still like Diamond Natural's ingredient list....just not the manufacturer!
I'm with you....I think Purina is the way to go....I'm just wanting a little more info on this PMI Nutrition Exclusive.
The training buddy of mine that initially had me switch to Blue Buffalo now feeds Exclusive to his dogs. He's very satisfied with it and has talked to a Rep of PMI at the store's grand opening and he's been very satisfied with it....but I still want to know more about it.
Anyone out there hear anything about this food....let us know.
Steve

maker4life

BTW...FYI...Today , I found out George Hickox is also a Purina guy...So with Ronnie Smith(Huntsmith seminars) and David King(Royal Run Kennels)....Thats THREE nationally renowned "bird dog" trainers that use Purina and at any time , between the three of them...they probably have 70-90 dogs under thier care being trained...Hmmm

I'd feed it too if they gave it to me .

Sam H

I'd feed it too if they gave it to me .

C'mon maker......read post #27.....they DON'T give it to them.....I ask 2 of 3 of them that question....Personally , face to face