DNR Meetings re: Turkey Hunting Near Deer Feeders

Tider79

Has anyone attended any DNR meetings where the topic of turkey hunting within 200 yards of deer feeders was discussed? With the change in the rules regarding deer hunting over bait in the Northern Zone and the increase in supplemental, off-season feeding for deer in a lot of clubs, I was wondering if the topic came up.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
We have several DNR that frequent this site and comment on a lot of topics but every time this is brought up I’ve never seen one comment on it , back when baiting of deer became legal in southern zone a few of the members in my lease were concerned with all of the feeders and I know our local warden said to go hunting , but don’t get caught sitting near a feeder and I doubt if your land has a trough full of deer feed it’s not gonna get shut down and everyone hunting get tickets

fountain

Is it no bait period..no matter the size of the tract or have to be 200 yards and out of sight??? Its a huge grey area and there needs to be a true, defined law now that baiting for deer is legal statewide and supplemental feeding for deer is at a peak in Ga

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
What if you`re hunting the west side of a 15,000 acre plantation, and there`s a loaded deer feeder on eastern side of the plantation. Are you still breaking the law?

Serious question.

returntoarchery

Why would a deer feeder still have corn in it in the Spring?

Because deer hunters that don't hunt turkeys think they need to fill up their feeders year round. They don't think about turkey hunters or could care less. I left a club for that very reason. I kept saying all through deer season to club management and the club members that the feeders needed to be empty before turkey season. Then what happened? They filled up the feeders the weekend before turkey season.

One of the reasons I have been completely against baiting in the northern zone.

Possum

Banned
What if I got a feeder on my 6 acres that backs up to national forest. How would a hunter know about my feeder unless they were trespassing on my land. If they are hunting on the national forest catching turkeys coming to my feeder in the morning than am I also allowed to hunt across my property line on the national forest?

Turkeytider

OK, so, I`m turkey hunting on a friends farm, say, several hundred yards from a feeder that has corn in it. Feeder is nowhere in sight. Am I breaking the law? This is a real life question and will not be hypothetical come March.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
What if I got a feeder on my 6 acres that backs up to national forest. How would a hunter know about my feeder unless they were trespassing on my land. If they are hunting on the national forest catching turkeys coming to my feeder in the morning than am I also allowed to hunt across my property line on the national forest?

You know about your feeder and they (NF hunters) don’t.

You can’t hunt anything but deer and hogs there knowing.

hikingthehills

What if you`re hunting the west side of a 15,000 acre plantation, and there`s a loaded deer feeder on eastern side of the plantation. Are you still breaking the law?

Serious question.
The way it was told to me is it's anywhere on the same piece of property. So I guess anybody thats hunting that has to have out corn should just feed their neighbors deer. :bounce: Just throw the corn over the property line!

Turkeytider

If it were to be true that it is illegal to hunt turkeys ANYWHERE on land that has an active deer feeder, and if it were to be true that most land upon which turkeys are hunted also has deer hunting, then with WMA exceptions, wouldn't most land in Georgia be illegal for turkey hunting? That would , of course, presume that most land that supports deer hunting has active feeders during turkey season.

Latest posts