Do you do extended warranties on new trucks.

They tried that mess with me when buying my Chevy eco diesel. Got heated like you mentioned. I told him you say one more bleeping word about this and I will get up and walk out I don’t have to have this truck.. he didn’t speak much to me after that

K80Shooter

If you want an extended warranty just send me the money that it would cost you and 'WHEN" you need a big repair I will send it back to you minus a handling fee of course. You'll be ahead of the game that way.

Seriously, put that money in the bank and use it for the repairs.

transfixer

If you want an extended warranty just send me the money that it would cost you and 'WHEN" you need a big repair I will send it back to you minus a handling fee of course. You'll be ahead of the game that way.

Seriously, put that money in the bank and use it for the repairs.

This is probably the best option the majority of the time !

transfixer

For anyone who does choose to get an extended warranty, let me tell you the things you need to make sure you do in order to have the best chance of having a claim paid,

Whatever the recommended service intervals are, you need to have them done, and keep documentation they were done ! if you choose to do oil changes yourself, keep the receipts where you bought the oil, and write down the date and mileage you did them, any oil leaks, or transmission leaks that develop, get them repaired quickly and erase all evidence of said leaks, do not document leaks unless you are trying to have it covered under warranty, but to my knowledge the majority of warranties do NOT cover leaks ! They will however DENY coverage if the think you drove the vehicle with a leak , so in my opinion I would fix any leaks, and erase all evidence of them, and never mention them again !

Warranty companies will use anything they can to deny coverage, things that have nothing to do with what failed, they will use against the claim. Oversize tires, any peformance modifications, etc, etc,

sinclair1

Some opinions and anecdotes.

I see transmission problems from every manufacture are pretty common.

I don’t trust anything built in the last 10+ years.

My wife bought a $3200 dollar extended warranty in 2013 on a used 2012 car with 12k miles. The warranty covered the car for an extra 36k miles after factory warranty. The factory warranty and the extended warranty paid out over $12k in repairs in that time. Then we have had about $5k worth of repairs on it (with me doing about $2k worth myself) outside of the warranty. I don’t know what to say other than that car was (“is“ actually since we still have it) a piece of junk. It has 285k miles on it now and is still her daily driver. Nothing has broken more than once except fuel pumps.

A close rundown of The repairs included:

Warranty

Transmission work - Shift forks and clutches (DCT trans) $6k
Some security ignition interlock thing (garbage new car crap that isn’t needed or wanted) $1800
Fuel pump and vent solenoid problem that required a new fuel fuel tank, pump, solenoid, and a few other things (there was a recall later on this but thankfully we didn’t have to screw around with that or get retroactively paid back because of the warranty) $3k

Out of warranty

Fuel pump $600 (maybe normal maintenance but this was the second one it got)
New TCM $3000

Done by me

New catalytic converter and O2 sensors (maybe normal maintenance but I have never had this problem before and it happened at about 90k miles) $500
New AC clutch (maybe normal maintenance but it had been replaced when the AC got overhauled (that was normal maintenance) a few years prior) $200
Fuel pump (yet again) $300

This of course doesn’t include all the truly normal maintenance items like spark plugs, brake pads, alternator, 2 radiators, water pump, control arms, wheel bearings, struts, etc.

We easily have close To double what we paid for the car in total cost of ownership If you include the warranty repairs.

We have also bought extended warranties on a few home appliances that have paid for themselves and then some. I’m not necessarily a true believer in them and I don’t necessarily always get them but they have really worked out great for me.
I hope to get good service from the Tacoma. It’s old school and hadn’t changed since 2016, which is part of why I bought it. I figure if it’s going to give me issues, I will know before the factory warranty is up and trade it in for a different truck.
I wouldn’t want the 2024 4cyl turbo, so not sure there’s ever going something worth having after this year. No hybrids for me

basshappy

BANNED
Some unsolicited thoughts. ...

- I would keep the money an extended warranty would cost in my control. Half cash and invest other half with goal of returns adding to that half.

- The time spent reading the fine print of likely most if not all extended warranties- I would rather not and again, put that warranty cost figure away so I have it when and if I need it. I think the warranties are written so that the effort to try to get something covered is so high warranty holders give up. The amount of Caribbean that need to be just right for coverage is high.

- I would consider purchasing those likely to need replaced parts when I don't need them, but when I have the funds available, and build a stockpile so that when the repair is needed BAM I already have the part(s), no waiting for backorder etc.

- If I follow the mantra of work smarter not harder than I am foregoing buying any vehicle assembled 2017 and later. The sheer number of interconnected electronic systems ... no thank you. I want to drive my vehicle, I am not looking for a chauffer. Nor am I looking to be pampered with heated or cooled seats, an in dash laptop size screen, etc. I am a man, a human, not with a silver spoon, and I can enjoy driving a vehicle with both hands on the wheel, windows down, etc just fine. On a public motorway it is a method of transport. On a track it is something else.

- When my partner was picking out a new vehicle for her two years back the sales team really pushed for an extended warranty. I mean good grief they were on her about one. Instead of her buying into an extended warranty, they outfitted her new vehicle with all season mats everywhere inside the cabin and installed step bars, at no charge to her. I was happy to be chatty with them on her behalf and remind her she had hand, the ball was in her court and keep it there. I was nice in my approach, as ma says "you catch more bees with honey than vinegar", but I exercised a lot of restraint going round and round over the warranty.

transfixer

I hope to get good service from the Tacoma. It’s old school and hadn’t changed since 2016, which is part of why I bought it. I figure if it’s going to give me issues, I will know before the factory warranty is up and trade it in for a different truck.
I wouldn’t want the 2024 4cyl turbo, so not sure there’s ever going something worth having after this year. No hybrids for me

You're relatively safe with the Tacoma, any issues should come up before the original warranty runs out, somewhere north of 120k you "might" have a transmission converter shudder issue, but it can be taken care of without spending a lot of money, there are two pressure control solenoids that typical wear enough to cause some issues, but they can be replaced from dropping the pan, and are only a few hundred dollars, I've seen many of them go to 200k before they develop any issues, and then its just the solenoids

oldfella1962

Never bought a new car. I generally find a good used vehicle and pay cash so I don’t have to deal long with pushy salesmen. I wouldn’t buy an extended warranty if I were to buy a new vehicle. Barring a catastrophic repair, I fix my own stuff. Always feel like I’m paying someone to take my money when dealing with sales.
It's that "catastrophic repair" that has me concerned. :cautious: I paid cash (mostly, I financed maybe 25 percent or so) way back in the day for a 1984 Toyota pickup. Very dependable that's for sure!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
If I were to spend 50k plus on a new truck I would look very seriously into an extended warranty.
Todays trucks, and cars, have such complexity and poor build quality that I don’t see one going 50k miles without major maintenance required.
The other problem is that many of the extended warranties exclude most of the electronics from coverage. Also many exclude seals.
The new vehicle market is a nightmare.
I got one on mine for that reason. Effectively I’m also pre paying for services up to however many miles it was.

Bought my daughter a used CRV years ago and passed on the extended warranty. Guess what happened about a year into it—an expense that cost almost exactly what the extended warranty would have cost me.
Yay me. :confused:

Lilly001

I drive a Toyota Tundra so I have no need of an extended warranty
Toyotas, especially the trucks, have a record of reliability.
And they are one of the better choices.
But they do have a service department and they do work on Toyotas for non-normal wear issues.
All vehicles have the possibility of breaking down.
And non-warranty repairs are ridiculously costly.

Baroque Brass

As a rule, I don’t buy extended warranty on anything. The last truck I bought “included a lifetime power train warranty“ which likely isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. I am, however, making sure I’m doing the recommended service and keeping the paperwork. I’ve heard the warranty company will do all they can to deny a claim. I hope I don’t need it, we’ll see what happens if that time comes.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I drive a Toyota Tundra so I have no need of an extended warranty

Ditto. The biggest failure on my last Tundra that I drove until it hit 200K miles was a burnt out tail light. Other than that it ran like the day I drove it off the lot brand new.

Geffellz18

I don’t disagree about the concerns about the warranty claims being denied.
However, I had a surprisingly impressed with Hyundai a few years ago when the car I drive for work had engine failure. I was the second owner and the car was out of warranty due to miles, but well within the 10yrs. Had around 136k at the time of the engine failure. Expecting the worst, I had it towed to the Hyundai dealership that was only a few miles from where the car died.
Got a call the next day that the car indeed suffered engine failure, but they were going to replace it under warranty/recall.
I thought for sure it was time to just go get another car, but it’s still rolling to this day-pushing 225k on the ticker!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
No.

transfixer

I don’t disagree about the concerns about the warranty claims being denied.
However, I had a surprisingly impressed with Hyundai a few years ago when the car I drive for work had engine failure. I was the second owner and the car was out of warranty due to miles, but well within the 10yrs. Had around 136k at the time of the engine failure. Expecting the worst, I had it towed to the Hyundai dealership that was only a few miles from where the car died.
Got a call the next day that the car indeed suffered engine failure, but they were going to replace it under warranty/recall.
I thought for sure it was time to just go get another car, but it’s still rolling to this day-pushing 225k on the ticker!

that was mainly because it was a warranty/recall on those engines, they are STILL replacing those engines, last time I heard it was a 2 or 3 month wait on getting one replaced, there was an issue with the manufacturing of the engines, and some metal machining residue was being left in the blocks before assembling them, only to circulate through the system later destroying bearings ,