Double trouble on the mountain.

chrislibby88

Well, kicked off my mountain hunt with a double! I actually didn’t see any trucks driving into the WMA, and none on the access road. Had me tripping for a minute thinking I was a day early. I just beat them there. Anyway, got settled in the tree just before gray light and watched the woods blow in the wind. The first hour was pretty uneventful, so I decided to rattle just a tad after 8 during a calm moment where the wind died down some. 5 minutes later I hear grunts coming from a pine thicket below me. I stand up, adrenaline pumping, grunt a few times, turn, and start watching. Nothing. 15 minutes go by and I sit back down, and just as I was giving up hope I looked back to my 7 o’clock and a small buck is heading up the finger about 50 yards away. I turn, wait for a window, put my crosshairs just behind his elbow, bang. His front end drops, and starts dead leg running up the finger. I rack another round but don’t need it, he turns and hobbles towards me, and piles up 30 yards from my stand. Great. Meat buck down at 8:30, and I’m gonna keep sitting. Just as I get my heart rate back close to baseline I hear something moving in the pine thicket above me higher up the finger the buck came up. I start watching and see a dark shape through the thicket. Oh man, it’s a bear. He kinda mosies about through the thicket for a few minutes, only showing glimpses through the thick, and finally pops out on in the open almost where I shot the buck, he’s a little further back, and looks small at first, but turns and starts walking directly towards me, and I see he’s fat, and not a baby. He starts dipping downhill, his butt is up and his head is down, I aim where his neck meets his shoulders, bang, he goes down and rolls down a ditch and settles just out of sight at 9:00. Decided to be an idiot and drag them both at the same time, since it’s all downhill, and only a few hundred yards to the road. Rough. Its thick. And steep. Got them checked in and was back at base quartering by 1:00. Great start to hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_7213.jpeg
    IMG_7213.jpeg
    613 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:

Roebuck

“Fishal Spokesman” Useles Billy Club !
Congratulations, what a great hunt. It’s great when things just come together like that, makes up for the many times when it doesn’t. Well done.

chrislibby88

Super jealous!! Major congratulations!! Hunt of a lifetime for many people!!
Congratulations. Heck of a morning. Don’t think I would try dragging two out at once though.

Congratulations, what a great hunt. It’s great when things just come together like that, makes up for the many times when it doesn’t. Well done.
Don’t be jealous of the drag. It was miserable. I had my climber and heavy layers on my back too, but I saved myself a few trips up and down some steep. I was about due for some good luck. Been a rough season for deer sightings since the first weekend in Nov. This was my worst year on my private land too.

chrislibby88

Bear fat. Buck liver fried in bear grease with a side of cracklins. Tell you what, these mountain buck livers are STRONG. I enjoy heart, but liver is kinda rough unless you get a corn fed one.

Attachments

• IMG_7218.jpeg
    IMG_7218.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7222.jpeg
    IMG_7222.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7224.jpeg
    IMG_7224.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 43