Double trouble on the mountain.

chrislibby88

Doe livers are much better in the mountains IMO
I believe you. I don’t think they could get much worse than a buck in rut. I’ve had ag/corn fed liver. It’s much milder. I’m not a huge liver fan in general, but I try to eat a little here and there cause it’s good for you, especially on high exertion hunts like this. I can eat hearts all day though.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Heck yeah ! Way to get it done , congrats ! That bear had been eating good

chrislibby88

Heck yeah ! Way to get it done , congrats ! That bear had been eating good
They’ve got acorns-a-plenty this year. I’m stoked to get more bear fat. My first attempt at rendering it a few years ago wound up tasting like over cooked meat. I didn’t trim little muscle scraps off, and kept it on heat for a long time trying to crisp the cracklins. Gonna trim every piece of red off when I get home and see if can get a milder tasting oil.

HardlyHangin

They’ve got acorns-a-plenty this year. I’m stoked to get more bear fat. My first attempt at rendering it a few years ago wound up tasting like over cooked meat. I didn’t trim little muscle scraps off, and kept it on heat for a long time trying to crisp the cracklins. Gonna trim every piece of red off when I get home and see if can get a milder tasting oil.
I havent tried bear fat, but I made some pemmican once using beef fat and actually ran it through my grinder first into small bits, then baked it in a pan in the oven. It seperated into a beautiful layer of oil on top with cracklins down below

chrislibby88

I havent tried bear fat, but I made some pemmican once using beef fat and actually ran it through my grinder first into small bits, then baked it in a pan in the oven. It seperated into a beautiful layer of oil on top with cracklins down below
Yea I got it cold, ran it through the grinder then loaded up two large stock pots and got it simmering.

ddd-shooter

I believe you. I don’t think they could get much worse than a buck in rut. I’ve had ag/corn fed liver. It’s much milder. I’m not a huge liver fan in general, but I try to eat a little here and there cause it’s good for you, especially on high exertion hunts like this. I can eat hearts all day though.
We still eat a buck liver, but we do brine or marinate it first. It’s definitely stronger so we don’t eat it all at once.

Huge fan of hearts as well.

Slice that fat thin and don’t overheat the pan.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Congratulations on the double up!!

Buckman18

Chris,
That bear fat is what ruined your liver. Whenever I cook bear meat, unlike beef or pork, i strive to get rid of the fat. Thats just me, YMMV.

Good luck today, looking forward to getting more pics from you!

chrislibby88

Chris,
That bear fat is what ruined your liver. Whenever I cook bear meat, unlike beef or pork, i strive to get rid of the fat. Thats just me, YMMV.

Good luck today, looking forward to getting more pics from you!
I dunno. That liver smelled stronger than a fat dude out the sauna before I cooked it. Soaked it in dale’s and minced garlic for about 20 minutes while the oil rendered hoping it would tame it slightly.

I like the fat. I leave it on the ribs, but cook them within a month or so before it has a chance to go rancid in the freezer. I also vac seal everything, so that helps I’m sure. I trim the fat off anything that may go a while in the freezer though. Seems like I’ve cooked shoulders and roasts with a tiny bit of fat on them after 6-8 months and nothing was off about them. I’m sure I will have a bad experience eventually.