Doubled up

Hillbilly stalker

My buddy asked me where I thought would be a good spot this morning. I told him about a little spot I had figured out. I wasn’t planning on going this morning because I got off work at 1 am. Well about 730 my phone started buzzing “ Got one down, need help loading”. I grabbed my rifle and boots and took off. He had walked 50 yards and shot his buck (8 point 182 lbs.) at 27 steps. Good easy hunt for him. We got him loaded up and I decided I was going to go since I was out there. I drove about 10 minutes up the road, slipped across a big creek and started up the bottom. When I stepped up the bank...there he stood in the middle of the old haul road looking right at me. I swung Big Thunder off on my shoulder, laid the crosshairs on his chest and let er eat. BOOOOM YOW !!! He cowboy kicked and jumped off the road to my right. I glanced down when I bolted my rifle...and when I looked back up, the deer jumped back across the road to the left, and just sort of walked off like it was sick. The shot was about 75 yards and I freehanded it, I’m used to that. I couldn’t understand why the deer acted like it was gut shot. It was facing straight toward me...no way. Well I marked a spot on the side of the hill where I saw it pass. I looked and zig zagged for a hour. I followed hard tracks, cut trails and everything I could think of. No deer. Back to the drawing board. I went to where I shot and walked up to where I thought the deer was standing. 3 foot to the right ( not left)...blood and 1/2 a lung. Game on ! Tracked him about 70 yards. Smoked him, right in the center of the chest where I aimed. There were 2 different deer, my eye caught the other unseen one jump back across the road...not the one I had shot. Good lesson. I had walked a total of 122 steps behind the gate at 930 am when I shot. Both these bucks taken off the ground, wearing orange vests and orange hats on WMA. I had mine dead within 15 minutes from loading my buddies. Mine was 168 lb. 11 point. Fine morning when you can double up like that .(y)2AA7782D-5AB5-43D1-B60A-D600721048A8.jpegDD433001-294B-4FED-BFA2-A52C76C29129.jpeg

Attachments

• CC7D6333-12A3-46DA-A9BE-7BABFE14C90A.jpeg
    CC7D6333-12A3-46DA-A9BE-7BABFE14C90A.jpeg
    371.4 KB · Views: 11

snuffy

Fine bucks. Congratulations. I like them worthless cor lokts in my old 06 also. 10 PT Friday went about 20 yards with one behind his shoulder. 180 grain.