Dove Hunting WMA

Scooter14

Can you dove hunt WMAs other than quota hunts? I've been working weekend shift for a few months so I'm usually off at least Monday thru Wednesday

Jake300win

You have to look at the specifics for each WMA I believe. Some say open and others have dates posted. Like Dawson Forest has dates that are open to anyone, but you can't just show up on Wed and hunt the field is closed.

Big7

The Oracle
Walton and Charlie Elliott that is outside Clbell has regular days that are not quota. Tere are more but I just pay attention to them because they are closest to me. The regs book and the DNR website has all the information on the individual fields

Lot of vehicles at Walton Saturday but I didn't stop and ask anyone if they had birds. Morning and afternoon so I'm assuming they wasn't sitting there for nothing.

The fields looked a LOT better than last year and I might go Saturday if it ain't to hot.

Oldstick

You have to look at the specifics for each WMA I believe. Some say open and others have dates posted. Like Dawson Forest has dates that are open to anyone, but you can't just show up on Wed and hunt the field is closed.
Exactly. I notice from reading the regs that a lot of them are open for dove to everyone but only on Saturdays during Sept then maybe some more Saturdays during the later open seasons.

I tried the Perry dove field later in the afternoon on opening day. Always a big crowd so I went to my usual hiding spot well away from the crowds. Way down around the south corner near the shade of the tree lines. Every time before, there has been a little trickle of birds getting chased down there by all the shooting up the hill on the main field. A good shot could certainly get at least a half limit.

But this year I sat 3+ hours. Stubbornly staying till sundown determined to at least see one bird come down towards the trees. Lot of shooting still going on, but not even a single dove period spotted within the couple hundred yards distance my eyesight allows. Maybe we had a field full of sharpshooters up there, I don't know, but weren't none of them running away down my direction this time.

Last edited: