Dumb question for smart people

oldfella1962

So was Otzi.
Yes Otzi was a great discovery! (y) Like a window into prehistory. I'm going to have to review it because I can't remember if they extracted any usable DNA or not and if so, what that revealed about him. Acidic low oxygen peat bogs (such as in Scotland & Ireland for example) turn up well preserved bodies now & then too, but nothing as old as Otzi as far as I know.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Seems that most bog body bones have decomposed but the bodies stayed intact

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Yes Otzi was a great discovery! (y) Like a window into prehistory. I'm going to have to review it because I can't remember if they extracted any usable DNA or not and if so, what that revealed about him. Acidic low oxygen peat bogs (such as in Scotland & Ireland for example) turn up well preserved bodies now & then too, but nothing as old as Otzi as far as I know.
The link I posted says at least one was from 8000 bce

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
How can “they” tell me what happened 5 billion years ago when “they” can’t even tell me what the weather is gonna be like next week ?

oldfella1962

Seems that most bog body bones have decomposed but the bodies stayed intact
Interesting! So the opposite of fossilization, yet still very well preserved! And I do know that bog bodies preserve fine details like exact facial features & whatnot. Okay it's settled! No cremation, no standard "cemetery" burial, I want a "bog body" disposition of my remains! :)

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member

What killed him was an arrow. The folks doing all the work on his remains didn`t realize that for around ten years. Flint arrowhead in the edge of one of his lungs.

oldfella1962

What killed him was an arrow. The folks doing all the work on his remains didn`t realize that for around ten years. Flint arrowhead in the edge of one of his lungs.
An arrow? I thought Dr. Fauci said Covid did him in! :LOL:

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Threads like this were NOYDB's specialty