Dying Infidels and Wicked Men

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’m a simple man, a sinner who prays to be forgiven and shown the path. I’ve have never been taught to judge or demean my fellow man. In fact quite the opposite.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

oldfella1962

I’m a simple man, a sinner who prays to be forgiven and shown the path. I’ve have never been taught to judge or demean my fellow man. In fact quite the opposite.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
The "love one another" is a good & sound philosophy regardless of any supernatural attachments IMHO.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
The "love one another" is a good & sound philosophy regardless of any supernatural attachments IMHO.
I would agree. Additionally, one makes a poor messenger who hasn’t the respect of those around him. Love and respect will open the door to conversation of all kind.

ambush80

You know how you can tell when the devil gets mad or you make him mad, guess I shouldn’t ask that cause you already know. If there was a discussing or debate God would be victorious every time and the devil the looser Praise God ! ! !
I understand that when it rains while the sun is shining that he's beating his wife.

ambush80

A few of us try to start conversations upstairs, but it’s hard to contend with the avalanche of C&P threads.

Do you think that speaks to the subject matter, the character of the individuals, or the nature of belief based on Divine Revelation?

ambush80

I would agree. Additionally, one makes a poor messenger who hasn’t the respect of those around him. Love and respect will open the door to conversation of all kind.

Some people prefer a yelling, spitting, pulpit thumping oratory, while others are drawn to a more sober, discursive style of preaching. I think it's reflective of the audience's personality type.

brutally honest

Do you think that speaks to the subject matter, the character of the individuals, or the nature of belief based on Divine Revelation?

I would lean towards the first two, but I'm not sure.

In another recent thread, someone brought up the King James Version. I had noticed that a sticky thread said that "Bible version" topics were no longer allowed, so I pointed that out. Nobody seemed to know why this had occurred, so I searched through old threads on the topic.

The first thing I noticed was that a lot of members I had never seen before had posted in these threads, and a good number of them had "banned" beneath their names. :oops: It definitely seems that certain topics bring out the worst in people.

I also noticed that many of these threads were multi-page discussions. Granted, they got pretty heated at times, but people were actually making arguments and responding to others. What a concept! ;)

So, I don't know if these controversial topics are what scared people off or if there were other factors. I'll have to look at some threads on the topics you mention above.

ambush80

I would lean towards the first two, but I'm not sure.

In another recent thread, someone brought up the King James Version. I had noticed that a sticky thread said that "Bible version" topics were no longer allowed, so I pointed that out. Nobody seemed to know why this had occurred, so I searched through old threads on the topic.

The first thing I noticed was that a lot of members I had never seen before had posted in these threads, and a good number of them had "banned" beneath their names. :oops: It definitely seems that certain topics bring out the worst in people.

I also noticed that many of these threads were multi-page discussions. Granted, they got pretty heated at times, but people were actually making arguments and responding to others. What a concept! ;)

So, I don't know if these controversial topics are what scared people off or if there were other factors. I'll have to look at some threads on the topics you mention above.

I think you're research (what's left to look at) will confirm that the worst in people is revealed. Some would call the bad behavior a sign of deep passion; if one is not moved to anger, then they don't believe strongly enough. Beliefs based on poor evidence lead to those kinds of "arguments" more than beliefs based on facts. Watch any Woke person argue their position. They have little to no evidence and they think that if they yell and throw epithets with righteous indignation at their opponents, that they are winning the argument. Examples of this abound around here.

This is the support of the notion that "It takes religion to make good men do bad things".

Last edited:

ambush80

Can you think of a case where Divine Revelation brought someone to a conclusion that couldn't be arrived at by reason?

BanjoPicker

David Hume, the deistical philosopher and historian, was born at Edinburgh in 1711. In 1762 he published his work, Natural Religion. Much of his time was spent in France, where he found many kindred spirits as vile and depraved as himself. He died in Edinburgh in 1776, aged 65 years.
The following account was published in Edinburgh where he died. About the end of 1776, a few months after the historian's death, a respectable looking woman, dressed in black, got into the Haddington stage-coach while passing through Edinburgh. The conversation among the passengers, which had been interrupted for a few minutes, was speedily resumed, which the lady soon found to be regarding the state of mind that persons were in at the prospect of death. A reference was made, in defense of infidels, to the death of Hume as not only happy and tranquil but mingled with gaiety and humor. To this the lady said, "Sir you know nothing about it, I could tell you another tail. Sir I was Mr. Hume's housekeeper for many years, I was with him in his last moments, and the mourning I now wear is a present from his relatives for my attention to him on his death bed, and happy would I have been if I could have borne my testimony to the mistaken opinion that has gone abroad of his peaceful and composed end. I have, sir, never till this hour, opened my mouth on this subject but I think it a pity the world should be kept in the dark on so interesting a topic. It is true, sir that Mr. Hume's friends were with him, he was cheerful and seemed quite unconcerned about his approaching fate, nay, frequently spoke of it to them in a jocular and playful way, but when he was alone, the scene was very different, he was anything but composed, his mental agitation was so great at times as to occasion his whole bed to shake. And he would not allow the candles to be put out during the night, nor would he be left alone for a minute, as I had always to ring the bell for one of the servants to be in the room before he would allow me to leave it. He struggled hard to appear composed, even before me, but to one attended his bedside for so many days and nights, and witnessed his disturbed workings who frequently heard his involuntary breathings of remorse and frightful starlings, it was no difficult matter to determine. I hope to God I shall never witness a similar scene.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Occasionally, we will have poor speakers that do not know their audience. They’ll present a why boats float agenda to waste water employees earning credits for their licenses.

But I guess since water was involved…..

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
David Hume, the deistical philosopher and historian, was born at Edinburgh in 1711. In 1762 he published his work, Natural Religion. Much of his time was spent in France, where he found many kindred spirits as vile and depraved as himself. He died in Edinburgh in 1776, aged 65 years.
The following account was published in Edinburgh where he died. About the end of 1776, a few months after the historian's death, a respectable looking woman, dressed in black, got into the Haddington stage-coach while passing through Edinburgh. The conversation among the passengers, which had been interrupted for a few minutes, was speedily resumed, which the lady soon found to be regarding the state of mind that persons were in at the prospect of death. A reference was made, in defense of infidels, to the death of Hume as not only happy and tranquil but mingled with gaiety and humor. To this the lady said, "Sir you know nothing about it, I could tell you another tail. Sir I was Mr. Hume's housekeeper for many years, I was with him in his last moments, and the mourning I now wear is a present from his relatives for my attention to him on his death bed, and happy would I have been if I could have borne my testimony to the mistaken opinion that has gone abroad of his peaceful and composed end. I have, sir, never till this hour, opened my mouth on this subject but I think it a pity the world should be kept in the dark on so interesting a topic. It is true, sir that Mr. Hume's friends were with him, he was cheerful and seemed quite unconcerned about his approaching fate, nay, frequently spoke of it to them in a jocular and playful way, but when he was alone, the scene was very different, he was anything but composed, his mental agitation was so great at times as to occasion his whole bed to shake. And he would not allow the candles to be put out during the night, nor would he be left alone for a minute, as I had always to ring the bell for one of the servants to be in the room before he would allow me to leave it. He struggled hard to appear composed, even before me, but to one attended his bedside for so many days and nights, and witnessed his disturbed workings who frequently heard his involuntary breathings of remorse and frightful starlings, it was no difficult matter to determine. I hope to God I shall never witness a similar scene.
I wouldn't be allowed to post this above in your realm, so I will post it here in response to your copy/pastes and zero discussion.

Richard Dawkins:
The Intellectual and Moral Courage of Atheism
Among the many topics the ‘four horsemen’ discussed in 2007 was how religion and science compared in respect of humility and hubris. Religion, for its part, stands accused of conspicuous overconfidence and sensational lack of humility. The expanding universe, the laws of physics, the fine-tuned physical constants, the laws of chemistry, the slow grind of evolution’s mills – all were set in motion so that, in the 14-billion-year fullness of time, we should come into existence. Even the constantly reiterated insistence that we are miserable offenders, born in sin, is a kind of inverted arrogance: such vanity, to presume that our moral conduct has some sort of cosmic significance, as though the Creator of the Universe wouldn’t have better things to do than tot up our black marks and our brownie points. The universe is all concerned with me. Is that not the arrogance that passeth all understanding?

ambush80

I'm not sure what you think this tactic will accomplish. Is this a virtue signal attempt; some kind of slackivism to make yourself feel like you're doing "work"?

ambush80

I wouldn't be allowed to post this above in your realm, so I will post it here in response to your copy/pastes and zero discussion.

Richard Dawkins:
The Intellectual and Moral Courage of Atheism
Among the many topics the ‘four horsemen’ discussed in 2007 was how religion and science compared in respect of humility and hubris. Religion, for its part, stands accused of conspicuous overconfidence and sensational lack of humility. The expanding universe, the laws of physics, the fine-tuned physical constants, the laws of chemistry, the slow grind of evolution’s mills – all were set in motion so that, in the 14-billion-year fullness of time, we should come into existence. Even the constantly reiterated insistence that we are miserable offenders, born in sin, is a kind of inverted arrogance: such vanity, to presume that our moral conduct has some sort of cosmic significance, as though the Creator of the Universe wouldn’t have better things to do than tot up our black marks and our brownie points. The universe is all concerned with me. Is that not the arrogance that passeth all understanding?

A cut and paste war might be amusing for 10-12 posts.