E Scouting in Chattahoochee NF

TrapMessiah33

Hi everyone! I am new to bear hunting, and I am interested in getting out and doing some still hunting with a bow this fall. I have been reading here how to scout for bear and what to look for. However, I am new to E scouting (OnX) as well and would like to use this tool to help me narrow down some spots. What are terrain features that I should be looking for, and how would you recommend I go about this? Thank y’all for your help!

Buck70

I like to find saddles between ridges then go check them out. The technology helps but nothing replaces boots on the ground. White oaks are king when it comes to bear. on x and web scouting don't do much good for finding producing white oaks.
That is good of you.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Find old logging roads and intersections, bears use them a lot. Just like white oaks, they love grapes, autumn olive, apples and pears, find them and bears won't be far away

Professor

Get out there. Unless you already have a lot of experience in the mountains, e-scouting will leave you more confused. Play around with OnX features, and then put it to use exploring some areas. Then, e-scouting should make more sense. A word of warning though, the land will never look like you think it should after e-scouting. E-scouting is best to find general areas to check out, or general features. Like the saddles strothershwacker suggests.

Professor

Hi everyone! I am new to bear hunting, and I am interested in getting out and doing some still hunting with a bow this fall. I have been reading here how to scout for bear and what to look for. However, I am new to E scouting (OnX) as well and would like to use this tool to help me narrow down some spots. What are terrain features that I should be looking for, and how would you recommend I go about this? Thank y’all for your help!
Also, still hunting with a bow is a great way to hunt bear. Most of bear hunting is scouting. They will hang around an area until the food source is gone and they are gone. It is really different from deer. You have to move, find very fresh sign, and hopefully find a bear. You have to have the wind.

Early season, you can hear them in the trees.

TrapMessiah33

Also, still hunting with a bow is a great way to hunt bear. Most of bear hunting is scouting. They will hang around an area until the food source is gone and they are gone. It is really different from deer. You have to move, find very fresh sign, and hopefully find a bear. You have to have the wind.

Early season, you can hear them in the trees.
That is my plan for this fall! Just going to try to get out and get as many days in the mountains as possible. Thanks!