How do you still/slip hunt?

chrislibby88

Jbogg, agree that if possible scouting a ton before season would be the way to go. We have a 3 month old right now though so trying to add up my brownie points at home to use my time away during season haha.

Splatek, I've noticed through reading a lot of the forums that a ton of people have said the same about bear as far as if they are eating they're pretty preoccupied as long as they don't scent you. That's going to be a nice change from turkeys!

My plan right now is to create a few 3-5 mile loops going through ridge systems with good saddles and flats that would keep me safe from their noses for a majority of it on some variation of a NW or NE wind similar to how Chris was saying at the start of the thread. If i run across a bunch of scat that's still smoking or fresh sap on any trees from claw marks I'll find a good tree and post up in the my saddle until I either see one or run out of time.

Let me add, any wind forecast is going to be very hit or miss in the mountains. The topography just makes the wind currents roll all around. There’s a particular spot I hunt, and any wind forecast out of the north, northwest, west, or southwest all wind up being a west wind. Even a southeast or east wind at low speed will will switch to a westerly thermal once the sun is up. The good news is that thermals are very strong, so you’ll usually be able to get on one side of a ridge top and still have a good wind. Also, double good news, bears don’t move like deer do. They don’t travel with a wind advantage, they don’t try to scent check an area before they walk in. Just plan a route and make the most of the wind you have along the way, and you can start learning how the wind actually works in a good spot once you spend some time in it.