Early, Miller and Seminole counties Ga

Havana Dude

Sounds like a good idea.

I do hate the fact that he was just a little too far away from me, for me to make any attempt at visiting, etc. I had actually entertained the idea of offering to go help him out with plots, or whatever he needed, with zero expectation of anything in return. It just never seemed to work out. And he always seemed like he had it together. I have a couple of physical ailments myself, that can limit what I am able to do from time to time. But, I regret not making the effort. I often read his comments and would think, dang, this old boy is in better physical condition than me!! I was a member of his artifact forum, which sadly for him, dwindled to just a few active members, and we mainly just talked deer hunting during the seasons. But I enjoyed my time on there, and was sad when he folded up shop, and the forum ended.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Just saw where there will be celebration of life for him on March 23rd (his birthday) from 2-4 at Seminole State Park. I plan on being there and I hope others will do the same.

He was a good person, full of life, a true outdoorsman. Had fun hunting, fishing, and looking for arrowheads with him.

This forum will not be the same. RIP Son.

Swamprat

Swamprat
This was in the Donalsonville Newspaper. I have met Rachel a few times when she would come home for the holidays.

Written by Rachel Anderson, daughter of Son Anderson, Sr.

Each week, for almost half of his life, my dad, Son Anderson Sr., wrote the “Son of Seminole” column for the Donalsonville News. As a little girl, before e-mail became popular, I remember tagging along with him so he could drop off a paper copy of his article. An avid hunter and fisherman, he was enthusiastic about sharing his knowledge of and passion for the outdoors with anyone who would stand still long enough.

He loved to tell this story about a time we went hunting together. He shot a doe, and she ran way back into a shallow cypress pond. I dutifully followed in his footsteps as he tracked her down, and he gave me the other end of the rope so we could haul her out to the road. When we got to the truck he said, “Man, this doe is a lot heavier than I thought.” And I turned to him and said, “Dad, I gotta be honest. I was just holdin’ on.” He had a good laugh about that.

Dad had an extraordinary talent for knowing when the fish were biting, when the deer were moving, and where the turkeys would be. Unfortunately, none of could have known how viciously and quickly the cancer would take him away from us. For the past few weeks, my siblings, our family, and I felt like I did dragging that deer out of the woods – we were just holding on while he did all the work.

Through the years, he received many kind words about the stories he shared here, and his whole face would light up when he told us about it. Y’all meant so much to him that it only seems fitting to share the sad news of his passing with you now. Even while he was hospitalized for treatment, he was adamant that he needed to get his column in, because he didn’t want to let his readers down. He had my sister up at 5 a.m. typing his story and making sure it was in before the deadline. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you for reading!

Our loved ones never truly leave us if we know where to look. His family and friends will look for Son in the woods, lakes, and wild places he loved so much. We take comfort from the fact that he is now at peace, and we will be reunited with him one day. Until then, we will see him outdoors.

A Celebration of Life for Son Anderson, Sr. will be held on March 23rd, Son’s birthday, from 2 to 4 p.m. at Seminole State Park

Swamprat

Swamprat
Thanks HD for finding the obituary.

He will be missed just not here but by his family and the folks who read his weekly newspaper column.

Seminole Wind

Sad news I just learned about today. I am a son of Seminole County and felt a special connection to Son and his outdoor lifestyle. His column was the first thing I read in the Donalsonville News every week. Son will be missed. My heartfelt condolences to his family.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I have seem Son post some pictures ( Polaroids) of great bucks and great artifacts he found over the years, he had an unreal artifact collection, and he was a Veteran. RIP.
I joined his artifact website several years ago . Man what a collection and wisdom he had on the subject . I sure hope he has a family member or someone that will appreciate his collection . Sure do miss his hunting stories also .