Early, Miller and Seminole counties SW Ga

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealthman52

you right about that,could not do it all, had to bowhunt Florida,I used to get 3 bucks a yr out of our old citrus mgmt area,did not even gun hunt much back then.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
My best week of bowhunting was in 82, Alabama. Killed five bucks and one doe in one week. My total deer killed with a bow stands at 47 or 48. Havn't done much since I developed a neck problem.
Here's my best Citrus bow buck
2inverness.jpg
Second best, both 8's
009.jpg

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Learn something everyday. Watching the outdoor channel. Bill Jorden says a mature eight point is just a good management deer. So, all I did this past seasons, was take management bucks. Nothing special..

007-6.jpg

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yep, and I'm a management type of guy. Ol Stickers will be waiting.

Stickers2011jan.jpg

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I just sat there and looked at that deer pic for a few minutes!
Do you think you will have another managament buck on the place like him next year? S R pmed me earler and said I can have the next open slot!!!!!!!!!! Hes not sure he wants to hunt there!!!!!!!!
LOLs HeHeHe k

talisman

Ol stickers looks a lot better in person. We saw him at end of season and he has a huge body and pearl white horns

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
More power to those who have the finances and opportunity to hunt groomed places where it's a chore to decide which buck you want to shoot when dozens of em come out. Guess that's what it takes to make those TV videos. Looking back at my pictures, noticed I forgot to have product names showing so ya'll could see what I use to be successful. So here goes, NB sneakers, free hat given to me, Browning A bolt in 06, with 180 grain bullet. Camo jacket made in the USA and trousers made in China. Why the camo trousers? Well, they were cheap at 14 bucks a pair at China Mart. Scent killer used was baking soda and pine boughs, but he smelled me anyway. All in fun, but don't ya know, it would take those TV personalities years to make one video on one of these wild bucks? I really believe a cameraman would get bored. On a wild buck, one usually has only a fleeting moment to take the shot. Ain't no time for whispering, pushing the safety off after ten minutes etc. and wild bucks just don't stand around much. They always look as they're going somewhere and are already 30 minutes late. That's my take on Holly Woods deer and Wild Deer. Real deer hunters do it the hard way, they earn em.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I remember the time Fred Bear hunted on St Vincent Island off the panhandle of Fl. The feds rode him around and put him up. Meanwhile, we slept in tents, had to walk or take a boat everywhere. End result, we killed deer and hogs, Fred got nothing. I liked Fred though, he did some real hunting in his time. I also shot bear bows for years along with bear broadheads.

Havana Dude

More power to those who have the finances and opportunity to hunt groomed places where it's a chore to decide which buck you want to shoot when dozens of em come out.

All in fun, but don't ya know, it would take those TV personalities years to make one video on one of these wild bucks? I really believe a cameraman would get bored. On a wild buck, one usually has only a fleeting moment to take the shot. Ain't no time for whispering, pushing the safety off after ten minutes etc. and wild bucks just don't stand around much. They always look as they're going somewhere and are already 30 minutes late. That's my take on Holly Woods deer and Wild Deer. Real deer hunters do it the hard way, they earn em.

Aint that the truth. Most every buck I have taken at my place has been tough. Sure, if you sit long enough, you'll get a gift or two, but it is rare. Truth is, when I do get a good look at our bucks, I usually pass them up. I wish the buck I killed last Sunday would have strolled through with a better look. I would have passed him I believe.

I have always said the same thing about these TV shows. Come to my place, and try to get one of these bucks on camera for 10 minutes. Haha, about the only pics they will get is him laying on the ground with a bullet hole in him.

stealthman52

Son, likes the Tred barta way,just think how many deer you would have if everbody hunted with long bows,or spears,Ala has a spear season,I could see you guys chunkin spears,man that place would be eat up with deer in a few years,lol.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Steath....here are the pics of the state line mound. Set around 1800 or so. Originally they were about 4 foot tall and this one is about 14 foot across and now just over a foot above the ground.

Attachments

• Mound 1.jpg
    Mound 1.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Mound 2(600 x 452).jpg
    Mound 2(600 x 452).jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Mound 3(600 x 452).jpg
    Mound 3(600 x 452).jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Mound & GPS.jpg
    Mound & GPS.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 158
  • Top of CM.jpg
    Top of CM.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 159

Swamprat

Swamprat
Son...looks like 1982 was the year of the spikes. LOL In 1982 if anybody shot anything with a bow it was a accomplishment since very few bow hunted back then. I think 81 or 82 was when I got into it, have got out of it though the last 5-6 years for some reason.

Back then there was really no management, you just hunted and shot what was legal. I kinda miss them days at times but am grateful for how far we have come over game management.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
And back in the day, everything we read said spikes were inferior. I tried to do my part and get rid of em. lol

Ol grouch ( I mean Bruce) went up to check out the woods this afternoon. I found one ladderstand that is history. All bent up and broken when they cut the tree down. Believe it belonged to Sig. Lots of deer tracks, and the cutting crews are moving right along.

stealthman52

SR,I been stick n strang huntin since 1965,I remember in 1967,I was 13,and shot 22 time in one weekend at Citrus,before I hit one,which was running by me on a deer drive,wide open,slammed a wood arrow and a super hilabre broadhead and a Bear Super Magnum 48",45lbs into a doe,she went about 50yds and piled up,man i was in top of the world,then it started raining,and had to find my way out of the pine block i was in.
I didn't bowhunt last year,but i truly miss it,seeing deer in a natural state,not having to worry about too many walkers,there are lot more bowhunters now adays,but majority will hang that bow up when rifle or muzzle season starts.

stealthman52

Forgot to tell ya thanks for sharing the pics,I never veyed up that way,was that a proven corner,wit stumps?,if so then its a validated corner record,instead of just a CCR.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I got a Bear bow in 83 whitetail 2 just got a DXT in 09!Shot that whitetail 26 years!!!!!!!!!! Hope that DXT is half as good as that old bow! Killed a few critters with the new one! Missed a lot til I got use to it! Thats bow hunting! I think I'll kill a Gobbler with it this year if i can! Did it with the old one a few times! Its a great challenge!

stealthman52

Mr.K,I think you will truly like that DXT,Mathews make some quiet bows,I nailed a turkey with my Switchback 3 yrs ago,arrow was a pass thru,turk jumped up,flipped over backwards,layed there looking dead,big puddle of blood around it,I stayed in climber 25 ft up just admiring,and looking for a deer,mind you turk was only 15yds away,15 min later I noticed turk had turned back over,like it was sitting on a nest,then all of a sudden,it took off like its south end was on fire,I sat there looking at the large pool of blood,thinking how did that turk have anything left?,I sat there for another half hour,then heard something like it got my turk,I climbed down,started blood trailing my bird,which was no problem at all,40yds out I come up on six or so big feathers,no turkey,somehting got my bird,dang fox,robertcat,or a yote,teed me right off.
So,if you shoot one with an arrow,better get to it,PDQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.