Early rifle hunts

Professor

So, I was recovering from COVID, and now I am un-recovering. I went out to shoot my bow and quickly came back in. Mountain hunting next weekend may be a bit ambitious. Hopefully, in another week I will have recovered enough to brave the wilderness. So, tell me about these early hunts. Lots of hunters? Should I expect the bears will still be dining in the trees?

chrislibby88

So, I was recovering from COVID, and now I am un-recovering. I went out to shoot my bow and quickly came back in. Mountain hunting next weekend may be a bit ambitious. Hopefully, in another week I will have recovered enough to brave the wilderness. So, tell me about these early hunts. Lots of hunters? Should I expect the bears will still be dining in the trees?
Im finally feeling back 100%. It’s been 3 weeks since the peak of my fairly mild symptoms though. I shot my bow all through it, but I was very shakey and pretty weak. A b12 shot will help if you can get one. Hope you get back on your feet soon man.
The Chestatee hunt isn’t super crowded, much slower than the deer hunts. I can’t speak on the others.

Professor

Im finally feeling back 100%. It’s been 3 weeks since the peak of my fairly mild symptoms though. I shot my bow all through it, but I was very shakey and pretty weak. A b12 shot will help if you can get one. Hope you get back on your feet soon man.
The Chestatee hunt isn’t super crowded, much slower than the deer hunts. I can’t speak on the others.
It will be during the week so likely few people.

chrislibby88

It will be during the week so likely few people.
There was a lot of road traffic last year, buncha guys with dog boxes scouting for the dog hunt, they won’t be there this year. Dog hunt is a few weeks out. Should be pretty mild pressure this year.

Mattval

I will be up there! Yall come visit me in camp. Of course I will be gone all day hunting...

dhsnke

I saw a nice 200-250 pounder on the first gun hunt on Cohutta last year. Passed him up. Was waiting on ole mossy horns. He didn't show until the second gun hunt though. The first gun hunt in my opinion you have a better chance at a bear than a deer.

Last edited:

Robust Redhorse

When DNR opened the roads last year that were closed for Archery & Small Game, it got stupid crowded (not hunters, but, dirtbikes, four-wheelers, campers, hikers, etc.)

I had seen 4 bears in 2 hunts in the 2 weeks prior to the early firearms season. Once the gates opened, I saw nothing.

Professor

When DNR opened the roads last year that were closed for Archery & Small Game, it got stupid crowded (not hunters, but, dirtbikes, four-wheelers, campers, hikers, etc.)

I had seen 4 bears in 2 hunts in the 2 weeks prior to the early firearms season. Once the gates opened, I saw nothing.
Where was this?

chrislibby88

There were a ton of recreational campers, dog walkers, and old folks in sedans up and down Dicks Creek. My buddy and I met mid day and another hunter stopped and we BSed for a few hours at mid day while the common city peasants passed by. Most were friendly, a few just ignored us.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Anyone else getting ready for Chestatee? My brother and I are heading up to the camper tonight. We will bow hunt tomorrow morning before the rain, then start rifle hunting Sat-Tues. If any other GONers are gonna be there y’all let me know!
I'll be at my RV camp (Turner's Campsites) less than a 1/2 mile from the southern entrance to Chestatee (tonight or tomorrow). I'm not as familiar with Chestatee as chattahoochie, where I normally hunt. But last week I found a little secret that I hope is not well known, so I'm gonna hit that up at some point.
Where y'all at?