Effects of Ph UPDATE!

Ihunt

So, I have this little spot in my back yard that I usually keep planted in case a deer needs a snack. I limed it a few times over the course of a year before I planted it this past October. After planting, I had a little clover left so I planted it in dirt that had not been limed. I think the pictures say it all. Both spots have also been fertilized with 0-20-20.

Attachments

• 4BD6AC4B-3EAA-4F06-8328-99FF0DB8E112.png
    4BD6AC4B-3EAA-4F06-8328-99FF0DB8E112.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 90
  • 7B135C88-F437-49BE-B7F2-3E8E4F44D5E7.png
    7B135C88-F437-49BE-B7F2-3E8E4F44D5E7.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 87

Ihunt

I have a larger photo that really shows the difference but the file was too large to post. If anyone cares, pm me your number and I’ll send them to you

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
You spoil your deer!

Those pictures tell the story, about having proper soil ph. I am 100% sure, you used innoculated seed to do that, and I speculate that the low soil ph, killed the bacteria, that allows the clover to make it's own nitrogen.

So, there's a real good chance it's having a hard time making nitrogen, plus the low ph, ties up the fertilizer in the soil, so it doesn't become available ..... a double whammy!!!!!!!!

Pictures are worth 1000 words!!
inoculants.JPG
Acidic soils.JPG

ucfireman

Just curious, Any difference in soil prep? Tilled? Or sunlight? maybe water running over it? Just wondering.

Jim Boyd

Awesome evidence and example.

We live and learn and at times, we need examples.

Good work.

sghoghunter

I know how important it is to use lime and fertilizer the way it’s intended but was both seed beds prepared the same and both have same amount of moisture? Also I noticed there’s leaves in one and not the other,could that have played a role in the one not growing well?

Ihunt

Both spots are in basically the same spot. The one that’s not doing as good is higher than the other spot by about 3-4’. As far as prep I’m not sure. I think they were the same but I honestly can’t be 100% sure. The reason the leaves are not in the better one is I mowed it a couple of weeks ago.

Canuck,
As an experiment, I’m thinking of putting some nitrogen on the bad one to see how it will help. Don’t care if it helps or hurts as my curiosity needs to know. I know what the “rules” say but the total area both good and bad is probably not even 1/8 of an acre.

I’ll try and remember to post updates. Guys, very sorry about brainfarting on the prep. My main focus has been how the ph would help and nothing else.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Sure worth a try!!!!

Ihunt

Sure worth a try!!!!

Yes sir. It’s so far behind. I know the additional nitrogen will promote weeds and grasses but curious how it will help the clover. Even in a low ph, plants use some nitrogen so it should be noticeable

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Look at micro nutrients.I added some borax and magnesium my soil sample indicated and it made a world of difference.

SRShunter

Guess that's why you hear a lot of folks preach if you can only afford one thing to put on your plots. Go with lime and skip the fertilizer. Proof is in the pudding

Ihunt

Look at micro nutrients.I added some borax and magnesium my soil sample indicated and it made a world of difference.

I’m going to actually pull soil samples from both spots and see what the difference is. This is just a spot that was bare so I limed it last year just to be able to plant clover. It’s basically just a test plot that I can play with in the backyard

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I’m going to actually pull soil samples from both spots and see what the difference is. This is just a spot that was bare so I limed it last year just to be able to plant clover. It’s basically just a test plot that I can play with in the backyard
(y)

Ihunt

Tossed out a little 34-0-0 on the spot that’s not doing so good. I’ll try and update with pics in a couple of weeks. Was going to pull a couple of soil test but UGA is closed and I don’t know when I would get the results.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Tossed out a little 34-0-0 on the spot that’s not doing so good. I’ll try and update with pics in a couple of weeks. Was going to pull a couple of soil test but UGA is closed and I don’t know when I would get the results.
You can buy a pH test kit at most big box stores or garden centers.It won,t tell you everything,but will get yu close on the ph.

Ihunt

You can buy a pH test kit at most big box stores or garden centers.It won,t tell you everything,but will get yu close on the ph.

Is it accurate?

across the river

Is it accurate?

The kits work fine, but I find it very hard to believe that there is that much difference in the clover simply due to the lime. There are plenty of weeds that grow in acidic soil, so if it was simply a pH issue, there should be something else growing there. It looks more like a compact soil, shade, or tree root issue more than pH. When you have that one spot in the yard that won't grow even weed, much less grass, it isn't typically a fertilizer or pH issue. There is a reason nothing grows there.