Low pH soil spring/summer food plots

b8hickman

What is a good plant for spring food plots with a low pH soil. I had two different places cleared off last fall that have a pH of 4.9. One spot is about an acre the other is probably three acres. With lime prices doubling from last year I can't put the lime on them like they need. I mainly want something planted to keep the soil from washing and to build organic matter. I had thought about buckwheat or maybe sorghum mixed with cowpeas, just not sure how they would do. What would be a good thing to plant with these conditions. I will put some lime on it but I cannot get anywhere close to the recommendation of 5000lbs per acre.IMG_20211203_133521917_HDR.jpgIMG_20211116_132525407_HDR.jpg

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Oats, cereal rye, buckwheat ......

Check the ph column below and maybe a few others you could try

PH rates.JPG

Im gonna say buckwheat.. once it goes too seed bush hog it and it will resend itself. You can then plow it under before it goes too seed as a green manure crop. All this Will help build soil health and nutrients in the soil. I doubt it will raise the ph much but it will help.

roscoe54

Someone told me they used PlotStart on there food plot came up great Comes in a 2.5 gallon jug sells around 50 dollars Iam going to try it

doomtrpr_z71

plotstart does not change ph, it’s chelated calcium with a little seaweed, you can buy the same 10% calcium in a jug without a deer on it for a lot less.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’m a fan of sorghum ! Easy to grow and the deer love it , also benefits most other wildlife . Not sure if it does anything to help the soil but I will grow good in not so perfect soils

fatback

I’m a fan of sorghum ! Easy to grow and the deer love it , also benefits most other wildlife . Not sure if it does anything to help the soil but I will grow good in not so perfect soils
When do you typically plant sorghum?

SRShunter

Iron clay peas did well in low pH soil we had a few years back. Regardless the pH number they still don't last long. I'd definitely throw some buckwheat or something else in the mix. Lime would be another in the mix lol

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
When do you typically plant sorghum?
It’s really not that important , I think last year I planted my first field in June . And I planted several more spots or the next month or so . All done great . The last I planted was better for the deer , it was still there when season started

fatback

It’s really not that important , I think last year I planted my first field in June . And I planted several more spots or the next month or so . All done great . The last I planted was better for the deer , it was still there when season started
Thanks. I am gonna try some this year and see how it does.

mattb78

I would stay away from peas. Low PH severely limits nutrient uptake by the plants, so you are going to have much slower growth. And you don't want slow growth with any forage that is easily over-browsed.

Stroker

Buck wheat and Sorghum Sundangrass. I've had good results with a 75/25 mix of the above.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I will share this about lime applications. All my plots are not accessible by bulk trucks. I use cone spreaders with tractor or ATV to apply lime. I use pelletized lime.
I have never applied more than 1/2 of the amount recommended by the annual UGA Extension soil tests. However the plots consistently achieved the correct PH.

My belief is that the pelletized lime works better.

fatback

I will share this about lime applications. All my plots are not accessible by bulk trucks. I use cone spreaders with tractor or ATV to apply lime. I use pelletized lime.
I have never applied more than 1/2 of the amount recommended by the annual UGA Extension soil tests. However the plots consistently achieved the correct PH.

My belief is that the pelletized lime works better.
Very interesting.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Smaller particle sizes so that's what makes it work quicker

Are you saying that The particles of lime within the pellets is smaller than the particles in powdered lime ?