Low pH soil spring/summer food plots

doomtrpr_z71

Are you saying that The particles of lime within the pellets is smaller than the particles in powdered lime ?
It's smaller than the ones in ag lime, ag lime is all over the place, actual powdered lime is the same particle size as pelletized, it just has a binder agent.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
If you look at the top of the page, you'' see the different "mesh" size in typical pelletized lime. Like doomtrpr says AG lime is just ground up limestone and you'll get bigger particles, which, makes the AG lime hang around a while longer.

Pelletized lime will work it's best after moisture hits it, to dissolve the "binder".
Lime bag.jpg

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Yup .... wished it would work well in a cone spreader, but alas .....

doomtrpr_z71

Top flow ca it's highly processed limestone that's extremely fine particle size, it's 12 gallons of the product to the acre but it's like toothpaste so it has to be cut with water to make a 30-40gpa solution, but it has to be applied with flood tips and a roller pump or centrifugal pump

Stroker

We use to use a product called "basic slag" on tobacco fields in TN when we needed to raise the ph a full point or two quickly. Supposedly had alot of micro nutrients as well. It was supposed to raise the ph a full point in 30 days. It was a few $ more per ton than ag lime. Split a soy bean field in 1/2, 1/2 got the slag, other 1/2 ag lime, same application rate. You could see a definite line across the field, the slag side was a darker green, taller, and yielded more at harvest. Believe it came from the TVA coal plant scrubbers. Never seen or heard of it down here.

Last edited:

SRShunter

We use to use a product called "basic slag" on tobacco fields in TN when we needed to raise the ph a full point or two quickly. Supposedly had alot of micro nutrients as well. It was supposed to raise the ph a full point in 30 days. It was a few $ more per ton than ag lime. Split a soy bean field in 1/2, 1/2 got the slag, other 1/2 ag lime, same application rate. You could see a definite line across the field, the slag side was a darker green, taller, and yielded more at harvest. Believe it came from the TVA coal plant scrubbers. Never seen or heard of it down here.
That has me curious. I've worked in a coal fire power plant for 17 years now. Never heard of the stuff. We have wet scrubbers. I know some have dry scrubbers. Personally I wouldn't put anything in the soil from that place. Lol most is acidic and way too many chemicals injected along the way. We do have some bigger deer around our plant Than most places. I Personally believe that is from more bdays

doomtrpr_z71

Thats gypsum from the TVA scrubbers, it won't change pH but it does provide calcium and sulfur, the sulfur will make it dark green, and it would help reduce aluminum toxicity.

SRShunter

Thats gypsum from the TVA scrubbers, it won't change pH but it does provide calcium and sulfur, the sulfur will make it dark green, and it would help reduce aluminum toxicity.
Now I've heard of that in the coal industry. We use the limestone to scrub the so2 gas. Add a couple more things you have gypsum, couple more processes and you have drywall for homes?

doomtrpr_z71

Now I've heard of that in the coal industry. We use the limestone to scrub the so2 gas. Add a couple more things you have gypsum, couple more processes and you have drywall for homes?
A lot of it gets spread on peanuts, wet scrubbing yields 98% pure gypsum as a byproduct. Farmers used to get sulfur for free now they have to pay for it to be added to fertilizer.

Latest posts