Electrical question- running power to a barn

walkinboss01

I had the utility company out last week to discuss running power out to my barn. He basically talked me out of it since I won’t be using it but a few times a week, and he said with the initial cost and the minimum monthly charge it wouldn’t be cost effective. He recommended running it from my house. The run is probably 175—200’ from the panel. I won’t be using anything 220 volt in the barn. My question is what gauge wire should I use, and can I use direct burial? I’m probably looking at a 30 amp breaker. Let me know what you think or if there’s some other concerns or questions. Thx

Beehaw

your local electrical supply house can help you calculate all of this.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
From your description, I would use a generator.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Ask yourself what you envision using in the barn in the future.

Examples indoor and outdoor lighting, power tools, air compressor, welder, garage door opener, etc.

What size is the barn? Is it possible/ likely you may add on to it?

It may be wise to run 50 amps or so and install a breaker panel in the barn.

Geffellz18

Doing this myself but not near as long of a run. But my neighbor is an electrical engineer and is assisting me.
Running from the house panel, he suggested nothing smaller than 6/3 underground wire to a sub panel at the shed, coming off a 60a breaker in the main house panel.
I purchased a 125v panel with a separate disconnect panel for the shed to run everything off of-like others have stated you will wish you had more when it’s done plus I got most of the stuff cheap at a local salvage place that sells stuff that HD/Lowes can’t/won’t because the box/package isnt perfect.
Nothing I’m running will be 220v either, and the only thing that may draw a larger amperage will be my welder, but Its 110v and I believe it only draws 30a. I’ve been using it in my home garage periodically with no issues.
12/2 wire for the electrical outlets & 14/3 for the lighting-which will be led anyways.
for the length you will need for the underground wire, I’d look on eBay or similar site for the big box stores are crazy high on it right now-you’re looking at at-least 1.5-2k or more just for the underground wire for the length described from the big boxes.

Lilly001

Years ago I ran a 60 amp service from my house to my barn , about 115’ as I remember.
I used copper stranded 6 gauge wire to a six slot sub box.
I run a welder and other high draw tools off of it, mostly one at a time.
I buried it in that gray conduit 18” under ground.
You lose amperage with distance so you need to figure that in.
I did it myself (my younger days) and it took me a couple weekends including hand digging the trench for the wire.
I had an electrician friend advise me but he didn’t help with the labor.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Does your meter are have a main disconnect with the ability to add circuits to it or is your main in and enclosed wall.?
A picture would be good for folks to help you.
I had a meter base/main disconnect with spaces to add exterior circuits from there.I ran lights and a cir unit for a welder from there to the barn.

Stroker

I run 175 feet of direct burial 4-4-4-4(I thank it was)mobile home wire from the main panel in my house to a 100 amp/220v panel in my shop. Run a large compressor, 140 mig welder, lots of lights, fans, TV, and the shop fridge with no problems. Go with more capacity if possible to accommodate the distance and future load requirements, you won't be sorry.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
it takes 1/0 aluminum to carry 100A 2/0 would be better

#4 aluminum will carry 40A

Wire Nut

#2 aluminum is rated for 100 amps. I bury wire to barns and out buildings on a regular basis. The engineer is correct that a separate service is not cost effective. Use 2-2-2-4 urd wire and a 125v sub panel. Yes I’m sure #2 aluminum is good for 100 amps. Only problem you may have is finding it. Right now there isn’t a supply house in Northeast GA with any. If you can’t find it get 1/0

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
#2 aluminum is rated for 100 amps. I bury wire to barns and out buildings on a regular basis. The engineer is correct that a separate service is not cost effective. Use 2-2-2-4 urd wire and a 125v sub panel. Yes I’m sure #2 aluminum is good for 100 amps. Only problem you may have is finding it. Right now there isn’t a supply house in Northeast GA with any. If you can’t find it get 1/0
it can be hard to find..

Lowes in Cornelia has 275ft right now....
1645118604985.png

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
#2 aluminum is rated for 100 amps.

I looked at the 60C chart for 75 amps... it is rated at 100A at 90C

I like a bigger conductor... it costs a bit more upfront, but you don't have to worry about it not being enough if you stretch the load on it a little bit

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I ran #6 to one of my barns that’s 125 foot from my house. Nothing there but lights and one window unit in my ammo loading room. We ran from my side of the lugs in the house panel so we had to put a panel in the barn.

The other barn - I had a 200 amp service installed there.

Last edited:

SwampMoss

I would do as others have said and go ahead and run 240 and water while you have the trench dug. A little more up front but could be cheaper in the long run if you decide you need it later.