Electrical question- running power to a barn

Wire Nut

I looked at the 60C chart for 75 amps... it is rated at 100A at 90C

I like a bigger conductor... it costs a bit more upfront, but you don't have to worry about it not being enough if you stretch the load on it a little bit
There’s foot notes in the NEC that allow #2 aluminum to carry 100 amps in a residential setting at 75 degrees. Little did I know, found out the hard way, there’s also foot notes that don’t allow 4/0 to carry 200 amps in a commercial setting. Been doing it wrong for years

walkinboss01

Thx for all the advice. I definitely like the idea of dropping in a water line while I’m renting the ditch witch.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Thx for all the advice. I definitely like the idea of dropping in a water line while I’m renting the ditch witch.
That won't meet code, but I would probably do the same thing.... and put the water line about 6 inches on top of the electric, so if I ever had to fix a water line, I wouldn't chance hitting the power line

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
That won't meet code, but I would probably do the same thing.... and put the water line about 6 inches on top of the electric, so if I ever had to fix a water line, I wouldn't chance hitting the power line
You are correct.I have done this ,but I also used emt plastic with the electric feed.Water and electricity don,t mix.

Wire Nut

You are correct.I have done this ,but I also used emt plastic with the electric feed.Water and electricity don,t mix.
No such thing as “emt plastic” and its 100% by code to put electrical and water pipe in the same ditch. Can’t put electrical and gas in the same ditch. You dig a trench either 24” deep or 18” wide. I go 24” deep because I have a trencher and not an excavator. Put the wire in the bottom, fill 12” and then put the water line. Then fill, pack and back drag. Remember that whether the water line were to break or a good rain shower we’re to come the bottom of the ditch is getting wet either way.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
No such thing as “emt plastic” and its 100% by code to put electrical and water pipe in the same ditch. Can’t put electrical and gas in the same ditch. You dig a trench either 24” deep or 18” wide. I go 24” deep because I have a trencher and not an excavator. Put the wire in the bottom, fill 12” and then put the water line. Then fill, pack and back drag. Remember that whether the water line were to break or a good rain shower we’re to come the bottom of the ditch is getting wet either way.
Ok.So I got the name wrong.I didn,t have 24" deep. Because of solid rock....guess I should have brought in a dynamite man to get that deep.Guess you disagree that water and electricity don,t mix also.
Can you post a reference to the building code for us dummies that don,t know the code.
Thanks and have a great day.

Last edited:

Wire Nut

Ok.So I got the name wrong.I didn,t have 24" deep. Because of solid rock....guess I should have brought in a dynamite man to get that deep.Guess you disagree that water and electricity don,t mix also.
Can you post a reference to the building code for us dummies that don,t know the code.
Thanks and have a great day.
Don’t take it so hard. Just don’t want anyone showing up at a supply house asking for “emt plastic pipe”. Building code doesn’t matter, national electric code does in this case. If you can’t put water pipe and wire in a ditch separated by dirt then you can’t use direct burial wire. The wire is gonna get wet outdoors in the ground. Nobody called anybody a dummy. Sorry you got your feelings hurt. If you didn’t dig 24” deep it wouldn’t pass inspection anyway unless it was in pipe and then it has to be 18” deep to the top of the pipe. I do this everyday and am licensed to do so.

Wire Nut

Also water and wire not meant to be buried directly in the ground don’t mix. You are 100% correct

huntersluck

i would run at least 8 gauge wire that far from the house for 30 amps. I ran 8 100 ft for a 30 amp rv outlet for a camper and I would get about 8 to 10 volts drop when the ac unit kicked on.

sleepr71

I’d run wire that could feed 100 amps & a 100A box out there also. At least (1) 220 outlet! Go ahead & run water line also. It can always be capped off. Be really easy to do with 100’ rolls of PEX tubing. I’d do 3/4” all the way to the barn. Just don’t leave PEX exposed to sunlight??