Elk Hunting

HuntinJake_23

Ok to all of you that have experience going out west and elk hunting, my buddy’s wife is getting him a trip out west to Elk hunt for Christmas. She doesn’t know where to start as far as what state to go, what guides to look into and how to accumulate points for a tag. Can any of you share some information on where to begin and what to look into etc...? I know most places you have to build points to obtain a tag, can anyone go into detail on how to start building those points?

Nimrod71

I would start with New Mexico and then Colorado. I hunted New Mexico for 10 years and at that time there were plenty of elk. There are a lot of outfitters listed and you can also contact the Native Americans for hunts on their property.

I was in Durango, Co. last elk season and I saw some nice ones on trailers and in pick ups. I would contact outfitters in the Durango area.

plumber_1969

There is a ton of info online but on your own adventures.com is a great starting place. Most states will start accepting applications next year but they vary and some require your credit card. You can pay for a land owners tag (make sure it is unit wide) in New Mexico. Guides will be able to help you with a lot of these questions.

1. Be in the best shape possible, you will not beat the altitude.
2. Know what altitude sickness is and get a prescription for diamox before you leave
3. Get good boots and break them in months before you go
4. Practice shooting with an elevated heart rate
5. Get Marino wool and know that on a mountain the weather will change!
6. The wind switches and swirls a lot about the time you see elk

Have fun and take plenty of pictures. Wyoming will take you a few years for a general unit tag. Colorado is changing and has not released the new regulations. Idaho still has some OTC and I’ve never looked in to Oregon or Montana.

plumber_1969

Also like Nimrod said, we’ve been hunting Reservation land for the last theee years. They aren’t taking new hunters at this time and actually shut everything down this year due to the virus.

lampern

With outfitters New Mexico and Colorado seem the best bets.

Texas also offers free range elk hunts

Last edited:

godogs57

I would strongly suggest you get a copy of Bugle Magazine, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation’s magazine. In the back pages you will find a detailed listing of outfitters, listed by state. Contact info will be given in that listing. I am partial to New Mexico myself and would not be caught dead hunting over the counter National Forests in Colorado unless I craved the company of hundreds of hunting buddies.

Wire Nut

Blue Mountain Outfitters. Bob Atwood. New Mexico. I’ve been with him a couple times. Awesome guy and big elk. He got me my 1st bow kill and it made P&Y

treadwell

If they're still around, Eastman's Hunting Journal. As subscriber, you get very detailed info on everything your looking for, plus, it's an awesome magazine.

Nimrod71

As Plumber said, get in shape and get the right gear. I hunted above Cuba and the cabin I stayed in was at 8,000 ft. It got cold. I hunted a private ranch a friend owned and their were plenty of elk and mule deer moving through the property. The best time I found to go was when the pinion trees were dropping their nuts, elk and deer every where. Boots are very important, Danner made the best boots back then. Be prepared to walk and climb.

NCMTNHunter

This is big water to wade into but not knowing her budget or his weapon choice/physical ability this is where I would suggest they start. Keep in mind that there are other options but these are the one's I am most familiar with.

If he wants to try to go on a hunt in 2021 they need to look at Colorado, New Mexico, and Idaho.

Colorado has the most hunting opportunity for non residents of any state. For the most part archery season, 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons are over the counter. Outfitted hunts on public land during these seasons are usually more affordable but public land during these seasons can also be crowded. Private land hunts during these seasons will be more expensive but with a good outfitter it would be a better quality hunt. I'm not sure if Colorado offers any kind of landowner or guaranteed tags for private land during the first rifle hunts but it would be something to look into. So what does this mean? If he wants to go on a hunt in 2021 he can find an outfitter in one of these over the counter units and Colorado, book a hunt, and go with no points or draw if they so chose. Or if they are not in a rush to go this year they can build points for a few years and get in on a better hunt in a better unit.

New Mexico has no over the counter tags. All Elk tags are given through the lottery system but it is a pure lottery. By that I mean there is no point system. You are just as likely to get drawn this year as you are next year and you are just as likely to get drawn as any other nonresident putting in the for same hunt. The one thing a nonresident can do to up your odds of getting drawn is to get lined up with an outfitter before you have to put in for the draw. New Mexico reserves the bulk of its nonresident tags for nonresidents who have signed a contract with an outfitter. Since it sounds like they are planning on using an outfitter anyways this is the way to go. It really increases your odds of getting drawn. Now to throw a wrench in things. The one way to guarantee an elk tag in New Mexico is to buy a landowner tag. Most outfitters offer this or they can be bought through tag services. So what does all this mean? If he wants to hunt New Mexico in 2021 he can get lined up with an outfitter, put in for tags through the outfitter draw and pray he is successful. If not successful in the draw he can buy a landowner tag (prices vary unit to unit) and go hunt. This is going to be quite a bit more costly than one of the over the counter hunts in Colorado but will be a better hunt.

I'm not very familiar with Idaho's system but I'm pretty sure they are a pure lottery as well. This is the only reason I put Idaho on the list. For a 2021 hunt he can put in for tags in Idaho and be just as likely to get drawn one year to the next.

If they are not dead set on hunting in 2021 and can wait a few years this is what I would recommend they do...

Spend from now till February looking for and talking to outfitters in these states (or others) that offer the kind of hunt they are looking for. Start building points in Colorado and/or any other point state they are interested in hunting so that have have more options in a few years. Every year while building points in the points states be putting in for tags in the lottery states using the outfitter draw in New Mexico and if you get drawn load up and go hunt! And if they ever decide that this is the year and he wants to hunt no matter what he can alway go over the counter Colorado, or landowner tag New Mexico.

UGAflyer

I've never hunted Colorado but know many who have. I've hunted New Mexico four times and it definitely seems like NM wins. Wide range on budget for sure. If you want a once in a lifetime experience I'd go here: The Lodge at Chama

menhadenman

Idaho has NR OTC tags; WY also a great hunt with a few points. Send me a message if you’d like, happy to help if either of those two states spark interest. I’m not an elk guy, but lived and deer hunted out west almost 15 years.

oppthepop

Be careful - once you do it one time, you will be hooked if you can physically handle it. There's nothing like it. i would recommend to anybody looking to go in the future to get your preference points started with Wyoming.