Equipment question

Oddball

I recently bought a Daiwa Legalis 1000D because, well, fishing gear is kinda like guns, you always "need" another one! I thought the 1000 size reel would be perfect for the small creeks and river where I do most of my fishing these days. The major selling point for me was it holds 160 yards of 6 pound test according to Daiwa's website and that's printed on the side of the spool as well. The problem is it actually only holds 60 yards of 6 pound line, not 160. I'm torn as whether to keep it or return it for a 2000 size or just go with a different brand. I find it very distasteful that Daiwa would make such an outrageously false claim about the line capacity on a reel. Has anyone else experienced this with Daiwa?

Lilly001

I’ve not had that problem. But in that size reel I’ve almost never needed more than 60 yards of line unless I was using it for much bigger fish than I should have been.
Also you might look at using braided line. You very well could get that 100 yards of capacity back.

Oddball

Yeah, I may not actually need that much, 60 yards is hopefully more than sufficient for anything I'm going to catch, it's just aggravating that a well known and respected company would purposely misrepresent a product like that, if they say it holds 160 yards, I expect it to hold 160 yards, give or take a little.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Capacity stated on reels is with an absolutely PERFECT WIND, under tension, with the smallest line they can find. They probably calculate it mathematically, and don't even actually do it...

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I bet if you can get 60 yds of mono on it, you could probably get 160 yds of the same test braid...

Oddball

Yes, actually, it says 160 yds of nylon, but gives the mm diameter as well, which coincides with mono diameter. The 2000 claims 220 yds of 6 pound but if they're actually over estimating on all their reels by about 56%, then it would only hold about 96 yds of 6 pound. They actually list the weight of the 1000 and 2000 the same, the 2500 jumps up a half ounce, so even if the 2000 weighs more, it shouldn't be more than a half ounce, that is of course, assuming they give an accurate weight.
1. Are you sure it said mono not braid 2. The next size reel is probably going to weigh much more

TurkeyH90

Is their a separate spool or does the spool have a removable ring around it that could give more capacity?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
You can check and see if the 2000 series spool will fit your reel. With some models the only difference between the two is spool capacity.

Oddball

Is their a separate spool or does the spool have a removable ring around it that could give more capacity?
No and no. Spinning reels used to come with a spare spool, apparently they don't anymore. Well, maybe Shimano still gives an extra spool. This is the first new spinning reel I've bought in probably 20 years and both of my last two were Shimano and came with spares.

Last edited:

Impact97

Just me, but a 1000 size reel is pretty small. I would put 4 lb test on it. I have caught plenty of 5-7 lb fish on 4 lb test.

brutally honest

I recently bought a Daiwa Legalis 1000D because, well, fishing gear is kinda like guns, you always "need" another one! I thought the 1000 size reel would be perfect for the small creeks and river where I do most of my fishing these days. The major selling point for me was it holds 160 yards of 6 pound test according to Daiwa's website and that's printed on the side of the spool as well. The problem is it actually only holds 60 yards of 6 pound line, not 160.

How do you know it only holds 60 yards? Did you measure it?

I’m just curious because I really have no idea how much line my reels actually hold (and I use only Daiwa.) I just fill the spool to the brim and fish. :)

One possible solution: the JDM version of Daiwa reels often come with very shallow spools. For the 1000D size, the shallow spool would only hold about 100 yards of 2-3 pound line. I guess it’s possible you got a shallow spool by mistake. :unsure:

Oddball

How do you know it only holds 60 yards? Did you measure it?

I’m just curious because I really have no idea how much line my reels actually hold (and I use only Daiwa.) I just fill the spool to the brim and fish. :)

One possible solution: the JDM version of Daiwa reels often come with very shallow spools. For the 1000D size, the shallow spool would only hold about 100 yards of 2-3 pound line. I guess it’s possible you got a shallow spool by mistake. :unsure:
What's JDM? Yes, I measured. I had approximately half a spool left after filling an old Shimano that says it holds 170 yards of 6 pound line. 160 on the Daiwa and 170 on the Shimano is one 330 yard spool of line and I was curious to see of the math all worked out and I'd use the entire 330 yard spool between the two reels, yes I'm a nerd.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
JDM=
Japanese Domestic Market

Bowyer29

No and no. Spinning reels used to come with a spare spool, apparently they don't anymore. Well, maybe Shimano still gives an extra spool. This is the first new spinning reel I've bought in probably 20 years and both of my last two were Shimano and came with spares.
The cheap Bass Pro 1000 size I bought is very smooth and comes with an extra spool. Made in China, I know, but still...

Latest posts