Evapo-Rust for barrel?

Big7

The Oracle
I second this. It works better than anything else you can do or any product you can buy.
Makes sense. :cheers:

I have put the real thick red marine grease between as many plastic gas checks I could fit in the case neck of a metallic cartridges with little dab on top.

That was on somebody else's gun. A few shots helped a lot.

krizia829

For many years i would get a dozen or more neglected muzzleloaders to rehab for deer season. Evapo Rust is the easiest method of removing rust and crud from the bore of a muzzleloader.

1. Plug the breech.
2. Stand the barrel breech down.
3. Fill the bore with Evapo Rust.
4. Let stand for 24 hours.
5. Pour out the Evapo Rust.
6. Clean the bore.
7. Polish the bore with Scotch Brite

Don't get the stuff on the bluing.
Thank you! This is what I was looking for! Easy instructions (y)

What do you find to be the best thing to use to plug the breech? I used a wine cork but I had to cut it a bit to make it fit..

trial&error

Never used evaporust. I have used OSPHO on everything from trailers to grills to cars. It turns the rust back into metal (iron phosphate). I have never used it on any type of firearm or anything with precise tolerances. Available thru lowes, ace, amazon.

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
Hello Everyone!

I brought out my Traditions Vortek last night to clean along with my husbands CVA Wolf. We have a quota hunt here in FL coming up soon. Guns have been put away for about 5 years or so.

The CVA wasn't bad but my lord was my barrel RUSTED!! No matter how much I passed the cleaning brush and dry patches, the patches all would come out full of rust! It felt never ending.

I must've spent an hour trying to clean my barrel and didn't see any progress. I put a light and just saw brown all the way down. I can still see the grooves perfectly. Threads on the breech are also rusted although the breech plug goes in and out smoothly.

Do you think Evapo-Rust will help solve the problem??

I also have some Kroil but I don't know what will work better..

Thank you!
Hot boiling water with Dawn dish soap will get it spotless

B. White

My percussion will hold water with the hammer down.
I usually fill it up from the percolator and let it sit a couple of mins then pour it out and repeat. Need a heavy towel when it comes time to swab it. Gets extra hot.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
With my sidelocks, I just fill a bucket up with hot soapy water, take the barrel off, and put the lock end in the bucket and pull the water in and out with a patch on the ramrod jag. That gets the nipple or touchhole cleaned out, too.

Flintrock

Easy fix. Wet a cleaning patch with soap and water. Lay a thin layer of steel wool on top of a cleaning patch . Place this combination on the end of your cleaning jag with the steel wool side against the barrel. Swab back and forth about 8 to 10 times. Rinse and repeat .Dry and oil as usual.

tcward

Easy fix. Wet a cleaning patch with soap and water. Lay a thin layer of steel wool on top of a cleaning patch . Place this combination on the end of your cleaning jag with the steel wool side against the barrel. Swab back and forth about 8 to 10 times. Rinse and repeat .Dry and oil as usual.
A second on the fine steel wool!