powder suggestions

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Go with what @Railroader said and start at 50 grains to get it on paper and then experiment up to 90 grains if your gun is rated for 90. Certainly no need to go above that because that will provide all the velocity you need. Lots of deer have been killed with a .50 caliber ball with 50 grains of powder so if 50 grains did that with a round ball, you know that 70 with a 385 Great Plains or Maxi Ball will do the job.

common man

On a side note I also have some Hornady pa Conicals I'm going to try and shoot also. Those are 240 grain. Would I treat those the same and start low and move up in grains

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
On a side note I also have some Hornady pa Conicals I'm going to try and shoot also. Those are 240 grain. Would I treat those the same and start low and move up in grains
That's what I do with all of them. Start low at 50 grains and move up. Of course, the odds are overwhelming that different bullets of different weights are going to shoot differently but you can at least find the most accurate bullet/powder combination that way.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
So for a cva wolf would ya'll suggest 2F or 3f as far as particles size.
I would go with 2F, probably start out with 80 grains and work up. I also use it in my sxs shotgun

I use 3F in my cap and ball pistols, it burns faster, never tried it in a rifle or shotgun

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
If it burns faster, then you could get away with less of a charge, be interesting to see

trial&error

Pyrodex is usually sold as RS (rifle/shotgun) or P (pistol). I only use P powder in Pistols and Rifles, and I never max out my loads. Initially done due to availability, but now it's just habit.

common man

Just an update guys my cva wolf seems to like the pa conical best. Getting real close to full sight in. 60 grains of the 3f powder seems to be working best. I have been having a little problem pulling trigger back on cva wolf but I think it's ok now.