Exodus 34:7 describes a generational curse?

Artfuldodger

Exodus 34:7
maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation."

Artfuldodger

Does this mean that my Dad's wicked ways can affect my children? Will God punish my children for the sins of my Father?

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Romans 5:18
Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people.

That's generational.

Artfuldodger

Maybe something happened to remove us from the generational curse.
Jeremiah 31:29-30
“In those days people will no longer say, ‘The parents have eaten sour grapes. But the children have a bitter taste in their mouths.’ Instead, everyone will die for their own sin. The one who eats sour grapes will taste how bitter they are”

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Perhaps Exodus 34:7 shows us that Israel will or can be in a generational curse caused by the sins of their fathers, in the same way Romans 5:18 describes the generational curse of our first father(man)

gordon 2

How bout a difference in not knowing individual sin because sin and salvation is seen to be by and of the people versus knowing individual sin because sin and salvation if of the individual.

So from the salvation of a people and next from the salvation of individuals within peoples is a calculation of righteousness and unrighteousness different due to two differing origins.

a) I know sinfulness when the people turn away from God. I know righteousness when they return to Him.

b) I know sinfulness when I personally grieve the Holy Spirit. I know righteousness when I'm personally in the paths and ways of eternal life.

StriperAddict

Does this mean that my Dad's wicked ways can affect my children? Will God punish my children for the sins of my Father?
No. You're not looking at the passage in light of the cross and New Covenant. Christ took those curses. You might say the old testament folks had this word to get them to ask for mercy of the same.

That's not on our spiritual shopping list ANY LONGER.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
No. You're not looking at the passage in light of the cross and New Covenant. Christ took those curses. You might say the old testament folks had this word to get them to ask for mercy of the same.

That's not on our spiritual shopping list ANY LONGER.

pls explain how those thoughts conform to 1COR 7:14

StriperAddict

pls explain how those thoughts conform to 1COR 7:14
If you take a close look at the 1Cor 7 passages along with vs 14 you don't see curse(s).

Sanctification mentioned there is being set apart for service ... to each other in marriage and, for the believing spouse, unto the Lord.

I don't think the unbelieving spouse is under the specific curse mentioned in Ex 34:7. At least it seems not supported by the 1 Cor scriptures.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
How can an unbeliever be set aside for service? How can a parents beliefs make children be holy ?

Last edited:

StriperAddict

How can an unbeliever be set aside for service? How can a parents beliefs make children be holy ?
Service to each other. And the children are set apart for God's purpose in the gospel as well, one meaning of sanctification found here. Yes, the unbelieving wife and children must come to faith in Christ, but there is no curse or "mark" on family members who agree to stay married. Paul is calling for peace in spite of the faith "rift" if you will.

The scriptures also say the marriage bed is undefiled. I doubt we could put a rule on that passage about whether one spouse is an unbeliever or not.

The bottom line is that the family has a good opportunity to find Christ together. That's a set-apart-ness that makes sense, otherwise we're back to sin and curse chasing, like Job's comforters.

StriperAddict

This was some more clarity on "generational curses" ...

StriperAddict

More on 1Cor7:14 to verse 16, and better clarity ...

Artfuldodger

Ezekiel 18:20
The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them.

Artfuldodger

The children of alcoholic fathers frequently suffer neglect and abuse as a direct consequence of their father’s sinful behavior. Moreover, the descendants of those who hate God are likely to follow in the footsteps of their forefathers.
It's like we do inherit our father's sins but that maybe it's not "from" God in the form of a curse.
Kind of hard to explain but maybe like generational welfare or generational family crime. One born into a crime family will be affected by those consequences.

Artfuldodger

We inherit a propensity toward the same sins our ancestors have committed, just as we have all inherited a sinful propensity from our common ancestor, Adam.

Since it has never been true that we personally share our ancestors’ guilt, what is it that causes us to inherit generational curses? Corporateness. They come down to us because we are corporate with our ancestors.

I was wondering it was in some way related to physical Israel? Has the Cross removed any generational curse on Israel, now that God's plan(Cross for salvation) has came to be?
Does Romans 11 show that maybe a generational curse is still there for National/physical Israel?

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Also is it related to physical or earthly punishment? Wasn't individuals and nations punished for their sins before the cross but now they aren't?
Jesus took that punishment for us as well? God causes the rain to fall on the just and unjust. Thus we do see generation of generations of the unjust living a pretty good life of crime and corruption. Receiving no punishment now but only in the end.

Madman

Does this mean that my Dad's wicked ways can affect my children?
yes.

My paternal grandfather had a drinking problem. Some of his children picked it up, but not my father, he chose to "break the curse". My father did not drink alcohol because he saw what it did.

Will God punish my children for the sins of my Father?
No. "Who sinned that this man was born blind"?

gordon 2

I think scripture is plain about what comes around goes around for the individual and since the individual human is a social creature it goes with society be it local or national.

If you care to study the history of the use of overt spin ( bending the truth to achieve political goals of immense repercussion internal and external) in politics say since Bush 2 to today's it becomes obvious how the trajectory of new leavens for political purpose will proceed in human affairs. Bend the truth a little here and there for a few purposes will soon get justice and truth to have so many definitions that justice and truth as entities are literally out of sight or not in the experience for those who claim to champion it for the things they advance.

No where is this more visibly true than with the media who go on to faithfully report the facts as the people see them and then in turn they themselves, the media is questioned as fake reporting and therefore corrupted yet what is corrupted are the subjects of their reports.

Isaiah 3:11
Woe to the wicked! It shall be ill with him, for what his hands have dealt out shall be done to him.
Galatians 6:7
Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.
Proverbs 26:27
Whoever digs a pit will fall into it, and a stone will come back on him who starts it rolling.
Matthew 7:12
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
Romans 12:19
Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”
Proverbs 22:8
Whoever sows injustice will reap calamity, and the rod of his fury will fail.
Ecclesiastes 1:6-7
The wind blows to the south and goes around to the north; around and around goes the wind, and on its circuits the wind returns. All streams run to the sea, but the sea is not full; to the place where the streams flow, there they flow again.
Hosea 8:7
For they sow the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind. The standing grain has no heads; it shall yield no flour; if it were to yield, strangers would devour it.
Luke 12:3
Therefore whatever you have said in the dark shall be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in private rooms shall be proclaimed on the housetops.

Last edited:

gordon 2

"Unless the LORD Almighty had left us some survivors, we would have become like Sodom, we would have been like Gomorrah."

Who is able to recognize "some survivors today" other than themselves ? Everyone able to spin themselves into one with the perspectives that others are not is as old as Herod's days when the Jewish leaders knew themselves to be such.

Now many in our histories and today are on one hand to Christ and on the other hand to Caiaphas.

"But one of them, named Caiaphas, who was high priest that year, said to them, “You know nothing at all! 50 You do not realize that it is better for you that one man die for the people than that the whole nation perish."

Many of us including myself are like Paul before and after his conversion at any given moment: We are stone throwers and the victims of ourselves for being such. We claim righteousness when we cast them, even the first stone, and righteousness of the persecuted for being on the receiving end.

Last edited: