Expect Disappointing Season For South Georgia

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
All this turkey crying is getting kinda weak…if you can’t kill turkeys during the dates given then turkey hunting might not be for you….birds already nesting isn’t a disadvantage to me. I see this whole “issue” differently. Gobblers die from dawn till dark. Disinterested or occupied hens gets his wig split…..
Are they nesting already? I haven’t been out there lately. Seems to me if they even started nesting, that’s a great thing! Hens on the nest makes the boys find other hens! No?

buckpasser

Are they nesting already? I haven’t been out there lately. Seems to me if they even started nesting, that’s a great thing! Hens on the nest makes the boys find other hens! No?

Yes. They used to always be easiest to kill around here first week of April. They were pretty much available then with the hens being bred out and locking down.

As bad as some might hate it, I believe we just need to have zones. If they won’t back off of the silliness, make two or three zones. Then we can all hunt Toms at similar points in the breeding cycle.

Gut_Pile

The turkeys I have on cam in SW GA haven't fully busted up yet. Still lots of gobblers together and big hen groups together. Despite the weather, they seem to be right on schedule where we are (early county)

Baroque Brass

These guys have been hanging around for a couple of weeks, I’ve seen them pretty much daily. Ol Tom is struttin‘ his stuff. A beautiful sight to me. My wife got these as she was leaving for work. 46DE6752-3DB1-4087-8BC5-C8BA1DFDA86A.jpegB837E8DB-3543-4913-A60A-B333D35293A0.jpeg

buckpasser

Harvest numbers will be similar to all other years guaranteed.

The years that are “good” or the “sky is falling-bad” ones? Lol

BASS1FUN

The season changes should have been done by regions not statewide, a guy that use to set my bows up hunts in SW GEORGIA and he told me he saw gobblers on hens backs in late January early February

Bubba_1122

I saw gobblers strutting behind my house and at farm back in January.

Have also seen 7 males together recently (jakes and gobblers together).

Someone else saw a group of males at farm last week.

I think there’s plenty of opportunity left.

Regardless I can only hunt when the state let’s me. Whatever that is I ain’t gonna pout about it - I’m gonna get my equipment ready and hunt as best I can with whatever situation I’m handed.

I’ll have my grandson in the woods on the 25th and I’ll be there the next Saturday (actually will have my other grandson the next Saturday and I’ll be hunting during the week).

Hope everyone has a great turkey season.

Last edited:

buckpasser

While I was out improving the local turkey woods today I listened to a podcast. The guest is a biologist from TN named Dr. Craig Harper. Apparently portions of TN were forced to delay season by two weeks due to a perceived lowering of population and a definite lowering of harvest. The change went into effect for the ‘21 season and has remained in place.

The money quote that stuck out to me over his six years of intense research about the delayed area vs the traditional season date both before and after the season was delayed: “zero change”. That’s what we can and should expect from the season change here in GA. Zero change. So, if anyone doesn’t like to read my poutings here, too bad. It’s a shame and needs to be pouted about more, more often, and louder until this nonsense ends.

Dr Harper also pointed out that TN, like GA saw and enjoyed monumental turkey population upswings with the traditional season dates that remained largely unchanged for over 40 years while turkeys basically rebounded from a near disappearance. The “do something” crowd got “something” done. Congrats.