Expect Disappointing Season For South Georgia

DynamicDennis

I have always done my best in April. I just want to be in the woods. I would go just to be in the woods, but only get so many days to go. If it was not so expensive to lease in my home state, I surly would have been in the woods. Poor folks doing poor folks stuff. Before I catch flack for not hitting a management area, I put in for several of the special opportunity hunts every year, but I have not been drawn. Been putting in for 18-19 years, maybe one day I will. Have tried the open management areas in the past, will not make that mistake again. This is central Florida by the way.

buckpasser

I have always done my best in April. I just want to be in the woods. I would go just to be in the woods, but only get so many days to go. If it was not so expensive to lease in my home state, I surly would have been in the woods. Poor folks doing poor folks stuff. Before I catch flack for not hitting a management area, I put in for several of the special opportunity hunts every year, but I have not been drawn. Been putting in for 18-19 years, maybe one day I will. Have tried the open management areas in the past, will not make that mistake again. This is central Florida by the way.

My limited experience with sign in FL turkey hunts anywhere below the fictional Osceola line has been the same.

Boondocks

The turkeys I have on cam in SW GA haven't fully busted up yet. Still lots of gobblers together and big hen groups together. Despite the weather, they seem to be right on schedule where we are (early county)
Seeing the same thing in Hilton.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
While I was out improving the local turkey woods today I listened to a podcast. The guest is a biologist from TN named Dr. Craig Harper. Apparently portions of TN were forced to delay season by two weeks due to a perceived lowering of population and a definite lowering of harvest. The change went into effect for the ‘21 season and has remained in place.

The money quote that stuck out to me over his six years of intense research about the delayed area vs the traditional season date both before and after the season was delayed: “zero change”. That’s what we can and should expect from the season change here in GA. Zero change. So, if anyone doesn’t like to read my poutings here, too bad. It’s a shame and needs to be pouted about more, more often, and louder until this nonsense ends.

Dr Harper also pointed out that TN, like GA saw and enjoyed monumental turkey population upswings with the traditional season dates that remained largely unchanged for over 40 years while turkeys basically rebounded from a near disappearance. The “do something” crowd got “something” done. Congrats.
So they changed the dates, but did they reduce the harvest? As far as dates go, surely our state (GA) is diverse and should have at least 2-3 different zones……deers too! But I believe reduced harvest from 3 to 2 should help, even though most probably don’t get 3 or begin with.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I just love being in the woods hearing a turkey gobble makes me happy many times I could've shot gobblers or jakes and let them walk heck in late November last year a group of gobblers started gobbling right at daylight made my day for sure
This^^^ If I hear a bird gobbling, my season is already a successful one!

buckpasser

So they changed the dates, but did they reduce the harvest? As far as dates go, surely our state (GA) is diverse and should have at least 2-3 different zones……deers too! But I believe reduced harvest from 3 to 2 should help, even though most probably don’t get 3 or begin with.

The Tom limit could be 7 and it wouldn’t change overall turkey pop from year to year. Hens hatch and raise poults. No one can or has ever proved that a GA hen has failed to find a mate to be a successful brooder.

The male turkey limit is and always has been a hunter opportunity mechanism. Those who can kill 3 consistently could probably kill 10.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
The Tom limit could be 7 and it wouldn’t change overall turkey pop from year to year. Hens hatch and raise poults. No one can or has ever proved that a GA hen has failed to find a mate to be a successful brooder.

The male turkey limit is and always has been a hunter opportunity mechanism. Those who can kill 3 consistently could probably kill 10.
Can’t argue with that !

Ihunt

Don’t really understand the problem with losing 1 week of the season. Lower limit. Oh well. I bet most on here have killed their fair share. If 1 more bird makes or breaks your season, go hunt another state.

I still love to hunt them but like all of you, I just don’t have what I used to.
So now I try and shoot them with a sharp pointed stick, no blind, while running and gunning. Maybe I’ll get my “first” turkey this year.

buckpasser

Don’t really understand the problem with losing 1 week of the season. Lower limit. Oh well. I bet most on here have killed their fair share. If 1 more bird makes or breaks your season, go hunt another state.

I still love to hunt them but like all of you, I just don’t have what I used to.
So now I try and shoot them with a sharp pointed stick, no blind, while running and gunning. Maybe I’ll get my “first” turkey this year.
What part of the state do you hunt most?

billy336

spent a few hours at the club yesterday. Eastern Berrien County. Saw one gobbler track. Definitely not pumped up for the season. Will be up for the opener anyways, need to replace the battery in the jeep and do some tractor and camp house maintenance. Kinda bummed really

earlthegoat2

I’m going anyway. I generally don’t get too into turkey hunting but find it’s a nice way to get out of the house.

Ihunt

What part of the state do you hunt most?
Dooly county and it’s depressing compared to what it was 7-8 years ago. I think it has to be a disease. In the span of 2 years, they were gone. All of them.

They’re starting to come back. Not anything close to what it was but at least I can usually hear something gobble.