Eyesight tanking advise on 22 scope recommendations

Gaswamp

Got a couple of Henry 22 lever action one is a mag. Also, have a 22 Henry Pump. Anyway I can't see close up stuff anymore in focus so the iron sights are blurry. Can still see distance fine. Need to either put a scope or red dot on it. Any recommendations...If I go red dot tube scope wud think a small magnification with it or small rimfire compact scope. Feedback please

Gaswamp

Leupold could b a possibility

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I put a 2X30mm Truglo red dot on a Ruger Charger and it's a tack driver out to 75 yards.
Under $50

Big7

The Oracle
I bought a Vortex Crossfire on sale at Midway for $100, $100 off. Works great. Put it on my Henry 22 LR lever action.
Which one?

I might be interested in getting one myself.

Thanks

Big7

The Oracle
I put a 2X30mm Truglo red dot on a Ruger Charger and it's a tack driver out to 75 yards.
Under $50
I got a BSA low end in that price range on a 10/22 that's fixing to be replaced.

Dot ain't exactly round and has a little tail sticking out of it on the higher powered light settings + it's an old battery job.

I was getting ready to start a thread on this subject so I'll be watching.

bullgator

With degrading vision being an issue, I believe a scope with optical quality glass is the best answer. Dot sights are great but offer no vision enhancement like a quality scope would. Depending on the scope, you can adjust the focus to your eyes.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I got a BSA low end in that price range on a 10/22 that's fixing to be replaced.

Dot ain't exactly round and has a little tail sticking out of it on the higher powered light settings + it's an old battery job.

I was getting ready to start a thread on this subject so I'll be watching.
I was surprised by the Tru Glo.
It's a fixed 2 power and has 14 (I think) different settings for dot color and size. For a rimfire it works pretty good. It is battery powered. I just keep a spare and try to remember to shut it off when I'm done.

I wouldn't put one on anything with more recoil than a .22 mag.

Dub

With degrading vision being an issue, I believe a scope with optical quality glass is the best answer. Dot sights are great but offer no vision enhancement like a quality scope would. Depending on the scope, you can adjust the focus to your eyes.

Total agreement.

I've learned this to be true when I went to optics on handguns over the past couple years.

For example....the Trijicon RMR units have been outstanding on my handguns. They allow me to focus on the target and simply allow the red dot to cover the desired point of impact. No focus gymnastics with my eyes running from front sight focus...to the target...to the front sight. Simply keep the target in focus the entire time while shooting.

Very fast.

Tighter groups result and at much faster rate of fire.

That being said, my focal clarity on the target is limited to the capability of my vision.

A handgun scope...or in the OP's case, a riflescope....makes for a tremendous advantage at ranges beyond the shooter's normal eyesight capability.

I'm nowhere near as fast with a handgun scope or rifle scope as I am with a red dot....however, I am able to put precision hits specifically where I want them.

One compromise I am exploring now are low powered variable optics on a pair of AR-15s. 1-8 magnification with a daylight bright red dot centered in a bold "horseshoe" reticle. At lowest setting it is crazy fast....and a quick spin with the throw lever I'm able to dial up to 8X power and utilize the BDC marks.

For the OP's benefit on a rimfire rifle, I fully agree with a rifle scope of whatever top & bottom magnifications fit his needs.

WishboneW

I run a Pentax lightseeker 32 mm 2x7 on my model 25 Marlin and a Burris fullfield 3x9 40 mm on my Cz 457 22 magnum.
I also have a Stevens 87a with a 4x weaver steel tube, probably a 20 mm objective. This scope is not good in low light.

What optic you choose should match what your use for each gun is

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I finally broke down and put a scope on my ole Winchester 250 lever squirrel rifle. Made me feel a bit dirty. BSA rimfire, about $100. Minute of squirrel head about as far as I want to shoot at 'em.

Fishin & Hunting

I bought the Vortex Vanquish 3-9x40 and the Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40. Both for $100 and taxes. I like a BDC on a 22 cal.

Gaswamp

agree with you guys bout going with a scope over a red dot. Guess my biggest concerns are finding a scope that looks decnt on a small rimfire rifle. Not a lot of compact scopes out there right now

Gaswamp

I'd really like to find a compact scope to put on one of these 22's not much offered out there these days

Gaswamp

I bought a Vortex Crossfire on sale at Midway for $100, $100 off. Works great. Put it on my Henry 22 LR lever action.
scope is longer than what I want. would love to see a pic of yours though

Latest posts