Falcons must...

BornToHuntAndFish

Falcons officially have a new GM now to go with their new HC with press conference at 1pm today.

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/falcons-name-terry-fontenot-general-manager

Falcons name Terry Fontenot general manager

Fontenot is the New Orleans Saints’ vice president/assistant general manager for pro personnel

Jan 19, 2021

kgxzkvicujxcv1vnutj0.jpg

hawkeye123

Both solid hires, but gonna take a miracle worker to get them outa salary cap double hockey sticks. Need to trade 4th pick for 2nd , 3rd & 4th round picks & get a buncha big uglies & get the next D Henry, N Harris, be a great start, not sure I'd go back to watching NFL til they quit protesting but might get interesting if they did that, 2 more years get rid of Ryan & J Jones

westcobbdog

With 2 solid football men in place we don't need gimmicks or slogans to win. Gonna take some time but in a few years we should be so much better off, hopefully with no more soft lines of scrimmage and finally rid of this bunch of finesse players.

Whitefeather

Management Material
If they don’t trade back from 4, they need to find a QB to replace Matt Ryan. Zack Wilson if he’s there would be a good pick.

I still think they gotta trade back to get as many picks as possible. This team needs EVERYTHING

stonecreek

So as I understand the Rooney rule the Falcons get an additional 3round pick this year and next for hiring the new GM. Has anybody else heard that?

BornToHuntAndFish

Looks like Falcons have 3 new coaches or coordinators.

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/arthur-smith-hires-coaches-identifies-coordinators

Arthur Smith hires coaches, identifies coordinators

Dean Pees, Dave Ragone and Marquice Williams will oversee key positions on Smith's coaching staff

Jan 21, 2021 at 05:59 PM

wide receivers coach Dave Brock has been retained from the Falcons' previous coaching staff

Pees, a longtime defensive coach who has been a part of two Super Bowl-winning defenses in his career,

Pees will take over as the Falcons defensive coordinator and Ragone has been named the offensive coordinator.

Smith said that he would be the play-caller on offense

Bears passing game coordinator Dave Ragone. I'm told there's a good chance he becomes Smith's OC after five years in Chicago

Pees, 71, and Smith coached together in Tennessee under head coach Mike Vrabel. From 2018-19, Pees was the Titans defensive coordinator

Pees retired in January of 2020 after the 2019 season

Before joining Harbaugh in Baltimore, Pees left Kent State – where he was the head coach from 1998-2003 – to join Bill Belichick's staff in New England.

Pees was the Patriots' linebackers coach for two seasons (2004-05) before taking over as defensive coordinator in 2006, a post he held through 2009. The Patriots beat the Philadelphia Eagles 24-21 in Super Bowl XXXIX.

Ragone has worked with Cutler, Cousins

Smith and Ragone worked together in Tennessee during the 2011-13 seasons

Ragone was the quarterbacks coach in 2013

2011-12, Ragone was the Titans' wide receivers coach

Ragone, 41, is in his fifth season with the team and 2020 was his first as pass game coordinator. He spent the previous four as quarterbacks coach

Last edited:

DannyW

We don't give up anything...a rule like that would seriously PREVENT teams from hiring minority coaches/ADs.

The way it works, I believe, is NO gets 2 extra 3rd (?) round picks.