Feeder opinions

quacksmacker31

I have a feeder set up that is actively bringing in deer. Problem is its bringing in bear also. The bear is tipping the feeder over and the last time it damaged the motor assembly. I have it stacked down now but was wondering what everyones opinions are on switching over to gravity feed? Im sure I will go through more corn or protein feed by doing this but is it worth doing?

35 Whelen

If you insist on continuing to put out feed, just throw it on the ground. As Gadestroyer74 said, bears will destroy any feeder you use.

00Beau

I have the 650lb. Cube feeders from Academy, A Bear pushed it over when it was full.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
People in bear country have long known how to bear-proof a feeder.

Pick two large trees and stretch a cable tightly between them at least 16ft off the ground. You'll need a hand crank winch, a length of cable, and a heavy duty pully. Afix the pulley to the middle of the cable stretched between trees. Attach the hand winch to one of the trees. Attach the cable to the top of your feeder in a manner that the feeder can be lifted off the ground. Most people use steel drums instead of cheap plastic. Fill the feeder and then crank the winch until the feeder has been lifted out of reach. A large boar can reach 8ft pretty easily.

It's the only real bear proof method I've ever seen.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
That was gonna be my thoughts that they could sake the feed out of it till empty. Don’t think they could tear it down if done right and tuff
He could only reach this one because we left the legs on the feeder. It was a custom built, all metal job.

thumper523

In Twiggs County, I used the winch method as well with 3/4" PVC slide over top cable. I had a small boar climb out and get onto mine until he shook all corn out. Then he did what all bears do in the woods on it. The pipe fixed that. Also, I put mine at least 10' off ground to motor.
When you chose the two trees for top cable, make sure they are far enough apart so they can't climb them and reach barrel.
Good Luck

Latest posts