Fehb and medicare

hipster dufus

Trying to learn how fehb works with medicare. Medicare B, 140$,a month. Should i get it? Does it save money invthe long run? Anyone done it? Dont care about c,d or supplements. Tia

Jim Baker

Staff member
My wife was a federal employee. When she retired we kept the FEHB.
We are both on Medicare now and carry the part B. I have had over $100,000 in medical bills in the last 2 years. Everything was covered. We pay just a small copay for prescriptions, 10% I think. Not sure what we would have owed with out the Part B and just Part A and FEHB. When she became eligible for Medicare the HR recommended that we take the Part B and keep the FEHB.

Oldstick

Interested in this discussion as well, as I will need it in a couple years. So are you guys saying, you get part A automatically then can opt for part B for $140? Is the part B fixed at 140, or can it go higher depending on you income?

Another related question for those carrying FEHB into retirement, is it common to select part B, then changed to one of the cheaper priced FEHB plans with less coverage and still come out smelling like a rose?

hipster dufus

I currently hav a cheaper fehb plan. U r thinkin what im thinkin

Artfuldodger

I retired about a year ago and as recommend by most, I kept my FEHB. I have APWU high option. We needed it anyways because neither of us were of Medicare age.
Now that we've turned 65 we also have medicare. You get part A automatically. We both decided to purchase the part B.

This year though APWU said if we keep our high option, we could opt in to medicare advantage with looks to pay more than Medicare B and APWU high option.

We haven't had to use any of it to give you an answer on what it pays.
I would suggest keeping your FEHB which will become your medicare supplement. I would probably buy the part B as well.
It might all be overkill but you could swap to a lower priced FEHB policy to save some money.

Artfuldodger

Looking at it another way, if you have Medicare A&B or A and Advantage, you still will need to purchase a supplement so you might as well keep your FEHB and use it as your supplement.

Oldstick

Looking at it another way, if you have Medicare A&B or A and Advantage, you still will need to purchase a supplement so you might as well keep your FEHB and use it as your supplement.

I know this to be true as well, helping my in-laws some years ago. Even with A+B you still need a supplement unless in VERY good health or plenty of money socked away to cover potential big shortfalls from Medicare.

However, I seem to recall at that time, if you chose A and Advantage, you weren't allowed to get a supplement too. At least not the supplements that were in the official Medicare list. But if your Advantage plan happened to drop out from your geographic area, you then were allowed to switch to a supplement the next year. That could have changed since then.

cullyhog

I have Medicare A & B plus a supplemental. If you take B when first offered it is cheaper than signing up for it later. Most every doctor takes the supplemental policy as opposed to an Advantage Plan. One thing I found is that with Medicare A&B the Doctors and Hospitals cut the rates way down for those. The Supplemental picks up the rest. I was diagnosed with cancer shortly after turning 65 and in the year and a half of being treated bills are over a million dollars. I have paid only the deductable of $200+- a year out of pocket plus maybe a few hundred!!!

Oldstick

Something else. FEHB/BCBS gives a rebate to retirees. Wife and I got $800 each last year and she is applying again this year for $800 each

Thanks, Jimbo. That is one of the many, many things I did not know about. Might look into that for next year. Had BCBS for years while working, then switched to NALC after retirement to save a chunk every month. I assume that applies to one retiree and their spouse if you select the family plan?

hipster dufus

Looks like ill sign up for B when the time comes. Do u have to make a decision at 65 if u r working part time? Can u put it off , say till wife turns 65 ?

Jim Baker

Staff member
Looks like ill sign up for B when the time comes. Do u have to make a decision at 65 if u r working part time? Can u put it off , say till wife turns 65 ?

Medicare is automatic at 65. When I turned 65, FEHB became my secondary but remained her primary. You have to choose part B or not at 65(as I remember) or you can enroll later at a higher rate.

hipster dufus

My question is , do u have to make a decision on part b if u are still working at 65? Part time for me

Artfuldodger

Something else. FEHB/BCBS gives a rebate to retirees. Wife and I got $800 each last year and she is applying again this year for $800 each
APWU gave me a $600 a year rebate if I switched to their Medicare Advantage plan. I had to keep APWU high option to get the Medicare Advantage plan though them.
They started paying $50 a month for me and $50 a month for my wife's medicare part B premiums for making the switch.

Now I have a Medicare card, a APWU insurance card and a APWU Advantage card. It's being administered through United Healthcare and is the only card I have to present.
But the told me to carry the other two just in case.

Oldstick

APWU gave me a $600 a year rebate if I switched to their Medicare Advantage plan. I had to keep APWU high option to get the Medicare Advantage plan though them.
They started paying $50 a month for me and $50 a month for my wife's medicare part B premiums for making the switch.

Now I have a Medicare card, a APWU insurance card and a APWU Advantage card. It's being administered through United Healthcare and is the only card I have to present.
But the told me to carry the other two just in case.

Good info. Sounds like at 65, some of the better FEHB plans want to keep you on their higher plans and try to give you an incentive to do so, since they know Medicare is going to kick in as primary payer from then on.

natureman

I retired 10 years ago. Kept FEHB which is about $500 a month for my wife and I. Got Medicare A which is free. When I ran the numbers, Medicare B, a supplemental plan and a prescription drug plan would be more than keeping my FEHB. Keep in mind that the FEHB coverage continues to be supplemented in retirement so you are paying about 28% and the gov. 72% of the policy cost.

Last edited: