Firearm purchase

JR924

Is it legal to get money to buy a firearm for a bed ridden invalid who cannot go to the gun store? The person with the money then buys the gun, uses it and keeps it. Gun belongs to the purchaser. If invalid dies, the gun still belongs to the purchaser. If the invalid gets well and can travel, the purchaser sell the gun, if he wants to, to the invalid for a nominal fee thru a FFL transfer. Assume the invalid is legal to own a firearm but cannot out of bed to pick them up. I am assuming this is not a straw puirchase if the invalid cannot use or own the firearm till a FFL transfer.

deerslayer357

I am Not a lawyer but I would view it as me buying a gun for myself, with a possible private party sale at a later date to the invalid if they recover. Assuming they are not prohibited I don’t see why this would be illegal, as long as the gun was bought with your money and not theirs.

Maybe some of the forum lawyers will chime in….

jrickman

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me like you could just take the money from the person, go buy the gun and call it a day. If they get better, sell it to them for a dollar privately with no FFL involved.

ryanh487

there is no gun registration in GA. the 4473 asks if you are the actual buyer of the firearm. if you give them the money, you go through the background check, and you will posess the firearm, you are not lying by saying yes on the form.

It's only illegal if you are knowingly buying a gun to give/sell to someone who is not legally allowed to purchase or own a firearm.

JR924

Note money would be sent to the purchaser and instructions on what gun to buy. The invalid would state in writing the gun is the purchaser's. From the replies, I think if the purchaser responds in writing that the the gun belongs to him or the money goes back to the invalid and the purchaser has the option (no duty) to sell it back to the invalid thru a FFL for a nominal fee, it should be legal. As stated, the invalid is not prohibited from owning a firearm.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Not a lawyer here either...
And I am very strong opponent Of the 2nd amendment and the freedoms it affords that have already been infringed, so don't take this comment the wrong way.
If he is bed ridden and feels the need for a firearm, I think he needs to move his bed to a safer place, or I'd be very worried about what he intends to do with the firearm.
I wouldn't want to face a maddened and mourning family in a civil suit.
YMMV...

JR924

The person cannot have a firearm where he is at and would only get the firearm if he gets better and gets his own place, As stated, assume the person is a veteran and legal to own a firearm. Assume the person owns numerous rifles and pistols already including AR015s and pistols but the guns are kept in storage till he gets out. My guess is the invalid wants the purchaser to buy a gun that he knows the purchaser wants to buy but is using this method since the purchaser would refuse the money if he thought it was a gift. Thanks for all the replies.

K80Shooter

Why would you want to go through a FFL when the person is able to purchase it from you? It is not required in Ga and there is no "registration" per say either. All you need to ask the person is if he/she can legally own a firearm, that's all.

ucfireman

just sell it to them.
only issue is if you are using the invalids money to buy the gun for the invalid. the form asks is you are buying it for someone else.

transfixer

I think you're worrying about a non issue in my opinion, I have given more than one firearm to my daughter, that I purchased in my name, she now has, they were gifts, if necessary I could write a bill of sale to say they are hers now ,, but I don't see that being an issue,

Same in the situation you describe, if you buy the gun, let them keep it to use , and at some point they pay you for it ,,, nothing illegal has transpired ! too much worrying about legalities of things like that in my opinion ,,, remember there is this thing called the 2nd amendment ? that gives us the right to have arms ?

transfixer

just sell it to them.
only issue is if you are using the invalids money to buy the gun for the invalid. the form asks is you are buying it for someone else.

I wouldn't approach it that way,, he is buying the gun, he then lets the other person use it,, at some point the other person pays him for it ,, end of story!

The line on the form is so they can prosecute someone who buys a gun for someone who legally cannot buy one or is not supposed to own one,,

Big7

The Oracle
Ask here:

https://ga2a.org/

While you're there, invest $20 in a membership.
I looked a second.

What do you get there if you join the membership?
Look's like I can already open all the tabs.

Do they send you a password or something to make available other instruction or material? Serious question.

660griz

Is it legal to get money to buy a firearm for a bed ridden invalid who cannot go to the gun store?
It is not. That is pretty close to the definition of straw purchase. You can gift them one or let them use one, if they can legally have a firearm. They cannot give you money and you then purchase a firearm for them. So, use 'your' money, buy them one, surprise! "Ah, you shouldn't have. How did you know I always wanted one of these?" :)

Jester896

Senior Clown
It is not. That is pretty close to the definition of straw purchase. You can gift them one or let them use one, if they can legally have a firearm. They cannot give you money and you then purchase a firearm for them. So, use 'your' money, buy them one, surprise! "Ah, you shouldn't have. How did you know I always wanted one of these?" :)

it does sound like the bed ridden fella is going to call the gun store with his CC or whatever, then OP is going to go in and fill out the paperwork and pick it up from what I read....that shouldn't be done IMO.

if OP gets said money from somewhere, then goes into the gun store and fills out the paper work all should be good then...he bought the gun... What he does after that at some point should be good too if the person is entitled to purchase a firearm.

transfixer

it does sound like the bed ridden fella is going to call the gun store with his CC or whatever, then OP is going to go in and fill out the paperwork and pick it up from what I read....that shouldn't be done IMO.

if OP gets said money from somewhere, then goes into the gun store and fills out the paper work all should be good then...he bought the gun... What he does after that at some point should be good too if the person is entitled to purchase a firearm.

Exactly ! ^^^ its all in how its presented, you don't go in and say you're buying it for someone who is bedridden and can't come in,, you simply go buy the gun, then let the other person use it,,, and at some point sell it to them,,, end of story !

JeffinPTC

I looked a second.

What do you get there if you join the membership?
Look's like I can already open all the tabs.

Do they send you a password or something to make available other instruction or material? Serious question.

I use it as a lobbying organization. Frankly I've never attended a meeting. I get updates when an important bill comes up with info on how to contact my reps.
Try sending your questions using the "connect" link. I think some of the leadership are lawyers interested in protecting the 2A.

https://ga2a.org/connect/