Firing the new AR

papachaz

Just adding my recent experience. I just got my Windham Weaponry AR last week, took a few days to find a scope and mounts. Bought a 50 count box of Hornady 55 GR SP for my original ammo purchase.

Sunday afternoon, I got finally got the chance to get out and get zeroed in, and was grouping 5 shots at a time in the circle. It got dark on me, and I loaded everything up and headed home. with zeroing in and then just shooting, I put 30 rounds through.

Today, my son in law called me when he got off work. I knew what he wanted, LOL so I told him head on over, I'd found and bought 6 boxes of tulammo at Walmart. I've done some reading and studying on it, at AR15.com and other places as well, and figured for the chance to just get out and shoot and get a little more used to it, I'd buy what I could. They'd only sell me 6 boxes, so with my 120 rounds, I checked out. This is what we shot today.

To start with, not knowing how this was gonna shoot, we started off at 25 yards. The "Spot ON' program at Nikon Hunting says for my scope to be on at 100, to make it hit 3/4 of an inch low at 25, so I figured we'd be better off starting there. I grouped 3 shots right where I thought they should be. First shot ejected, but failed to feed the second round. Knowing I've only put 30 rounds through, I'm not even close to 'broke in" yet, so I figured no big deal. He shot from 25, and didn't get what we expected at all, but then the scope is set up for me. We've realized before our eye relief is WAY different, so we were ok with where he was hitting. grouping was decent, but higher than my group. Oh yeah, we didn't have any more problems with FTF after that first shot.

We backed up to around 60 yards, and I have to say, I was NOT impressed with the targets at all. High, low, left , right..... we're only shooting 3 shots at a time. walking down to see where we hit, then walking back to swap shooters. Saying that so y'all will know, we weren't shooting round after round and getting the barrel hot. We each took our turns again, and again was NOT impressed at all. And if that wasn't bad enough, when we backed up to 100 yards, wow, it was awful. His were a little better than mine. By then I'd started getting tired, for those who don't know I have a permanent disability with back problems, lower back and low neck, and nerve damage in my legs. The longer I tried to shoot, the worse my shots became. His weren't as bad, but not getting any kind of group at 100 yards at all.

So we decided to move back up. I had a box of clays, we walked up 25 -30 yards and set up some of them against a log on the ground shooting into the hillside. again we swapped out after 3 rounds, one great thing about shooting clays is you KNOW you hit, although his first shot we thought was a miss, there was actually a .223 sized hole in the clay! I couldn't believe that one didn't bust.....I was worn out, but even shooting freehand I busted my half of the targets (6) in 8 shots. I let him set up some more and finish out the magazine just for playing. Needless to say he's sold and wants one now, LOL.

A couple of things. I'm satisfied that I had it zeroed with the Hornady ammo. I have a site vise, that I've used for years with my bolt action rifles. But it just flat doesn't work at all with this AR. I was shooting leaning on the hood of my dodge truck, and the fixed 3x scope may wind up not being enough for these old eyes at much over 50 yards, for targets anyway. I guess I need to pick up a couple of sand bags and see if my groups improve at longer range. I was flat worn out by the time we got to shooting 100 yards, maybe I need to start there next time. I don't know if the problem was the ammo or us. maybe it's just not going to shoot the same, after all it is the cheap stuff.

I didn't take any of the Hornady ammo with me to try, so maybe it's the tulammo, maybe my AR just isn't going to like it, but it was plenty cheap enough to break up some clay! and we had a blast.

I haven't cleaned it yet, By the time we got home, I was just worn out. In the morning, I plan on loading up the youtube break it down video, and completely breaking it down and cleaning and oiling her up.

Academy had some Monarch ammo for $4.99 a box, I picked it up and put it back 3 times before I went over to the walmart that had the tulammo....maybe for some cheap shooting, I need to go back and pick some of that up and see if it's different/better. We wound up putting a total of 60 rounds through it today, so that makes 90 all total so far. Not what some of y'all do in a day I know, but for me, that's about my limit for one sitting.

Comments, advise and suggestions always welcome!

HillbillyJim

I'm looking hard at the Windam also. I really like the lifetime transferrable warranty, the price, and the fit and finish. Let us know your future shooting experiences with it.

papachaz

Jim,

I'm tickled with the rifle itself. Love the way it feels in my hands. Loved the warranty as you said, and I was totally sold by the story behind the company. If you haven't studied it, go to their website and read up on it. I'd sure buy something from this man before I would the people who bought out bushmaster from him and put all his people out of work

I am enjoying shooting it so far. I'm not sure if there's a 'break in' period or not. I've read some say there is, others say nope.....I certainly don't think it will hurt to just keep on shooting :D:D

I also know from years of hunting and shooting, some rifles/pistols just don't like certain ammo. I'm hoping I can at least keep shooting the tula or monarch for plinking, .25 a shot is a lot better than .60 or more. Plus, I've only put 30 rounds of the hornady through it, I may find something else it likes better than that for my 'serious' shooting. I do plan on using this for some deer hunts, but mostly yotes, hogs and plinking.

And self defense. I had an experience a few weeks ago where some neighbors to my lease called to say there were some trespassers in there. If I'd had that AR along with the .45 on my side, I'd have felt a bit more comfy, and it might have been just a bit more intimidating as well......

BriarPatch99

I am not sure what magazine you are trying to use or what type vise .... but I have to use a ten round mag when using a vise with mine.... I also hunt with the ten round .... it fits almost flush with the bottom of the mag well.

papachaz

Thanks briarpatch. I'm using the 20 round mag that came with it. I've 'requested' some more mags for Christmas :)

I have considered picking up a 10 round, not sure it would work with my sight vise, thinking that is the actual name of it. Just one of those cheap ones from wally world I bought several years ago. Would love to be able to pick up a lead sled or similar

Buford_Dawg

May I ask what model AR you bought...

and where did you purchase. Sounds like alot of fun. I am interested in getting started myself.

thomasr

Papachaz,
FWIW, I've noticed on the rare occasion I've had a FTF with my Stag it was when I was using my Magpul mags with the Wolf brand ammo. Coincedence, maybe. I rarely run Wolf, I just prefer using reloadable brass. Also, my handloads are way more acurate than any of the cheap Wolf stuff. Of course YMMV. Enjoy your new rifle.

ASH556

Both the Tula ammo and the Monarch you almost bought are very low-powered .223 loads. The gas system on an AR is tuned to run with hotter pressure 5.56 loads. However, most "commercial" AR's use larger gas ports to try to accommodate the lower-pressure .223 ammo.

I've never shot the Tula, but I've heard of it not being the most accurate. Like most things in life, ammo is one of the things where you get what you pay for.

Desert Rat

So we decided to move back up. I had a box of clays, we walked up 25 -30 yards and set up some of them against a log on the ground shooting into the hillside. again we swapped out after 3 rounds, one great thing about shooting clays is you KNOW you hit, although his first shot we thought was a miss, there was actually a .223 sized hole in the clay! I couldn't believe that one didn't bust.....I was worn out, but even shooting freehand I busted my half of the targets (6) in 8 shots. I let him set up some more and finish out the magazine just for playing. Needless to say he's sold and wants one now, LOL.

Comments, advise and suggestions always welcome!

Clays are surprisingly durable. The M1 and the two Mosins will knock the center out of a clay. The .22s and the .38 will chip away at them. Only the .45 Hawken and .44 Army, with their big slow round ball, shatter a clay on the first hit. So, we have a new game "How many times can you shoot a clay before there is nothing left?" So far 12 is the most we've managed, with a .22 rifle.

I agree with the rest, try some quality 5.56 ammo. With ferrous optics at 25 yards you should have 3 rounds in one hole.

papachaz

and where did you purchase. Sounds like alot of fun. I am interested in getting started myself.

Windham Weaponry SRC, bought at Walmart, $799.97. The scope is a Nikon P-223, BDC reticle, 3x32. Blackhawk Tactical Extra High rings. I wish I'd gone with the variable power now that I've shot it. My old eyes just aren't what they used to be.

Did you clean all the packing grease from the barrel and action before you started shooting?

Yes, took it down, pulled and cleaned the BCG, ran a couple of patches of bore cleaner, followed with a couple of dry patches, followed with a couple with a LITTLE bit of oil. Oiled the BCG and reassembled. :)

Both the Tula ammo and the Monarch you almost bought are very low-powered .223 loads. The gas system on an AR is tuned to run with hotter pressure 5.56 loads. However, most "commercial" AR's use larger gas ports to try to accommodate the lower-pressure .223 ammo.

I've never shot the Tula, but I've heard of it not being the most accurate. Like most things in life, ammo is one of the things where you get what you pay for.

I still have 3 boxes of the Tula, went back to Academy today and all the monarch was gone. I'm not that worried about it, I intend on going with something from Remington, Winchester or Hornady. The tula/monarch price range stuff I'll keep around for plinking and shooting the clays, but not really worried that much about what it does on paper, thanks for the input!

Clays are surprisingly durable. The M1 and the two Mosins will knock the center out of a clay. The .22s and the .38 will chip away at them. Only the .45 Hawken and .44 Army, with their big slow round ball, shatter a clay on the first hit. So, we have a new game "How many times can you shoot a clay before there is nothing left?" So far 12 is the most we've managed, with a .22 rifle.

I agree with the rest, try some quality 5.56 ammo. With ferrous optics at 25 yards you should have 3 rounds in one hole.

I've used the clays for pistol practice with my .380 and .45, you're right about 'how many shots to completely destroy', it's fun to do. We actually did set some of the pieces back up to shoot!

With the Hornady 55 GR SP rounds I initially got, at 25 yards I was grouping them in 'cloverleaf' patterns, so I'm sure the fliers I was getting was pure and simple the ammo.

Thanks all for the input! I've put in some requests for some more mags, a bipod and a tactical light. Pretty much gonna let it go at that. I have already been considering selling this glass so I can go with a variable, I just need something a little more than 3x. I usually keep my deer rifle set on 5 or 6, and I like the looks of the Nikon 2x7, if I can get my $100 back out of the P-223, that's what I'd go with

papachaz

Just for an FYI, I have put an ad in the market place for this scope. Shot some more today, and I can bust the clays up with no problems, but I really need to upgrade to a stronger power if I am going to try to do any yote hunting with this AR. The price is $50 less than new, same as I paid for it. anyone interested let me know

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
My Bushmaster DCM with a scope on top will shoot 1/2" or less 10 shot groups with my reloads at 100 yds.

Also squirt brake cleaner down the gas tube when you clean it. Bad powder can clog up the gas tube. Ask me how I know.

gt40

chuckdog

Just one ole guys opinion, but for coyote I would think the 3X would be ideal in Ga.

The higher power's nice for target and small game, but coyote don't behave the same.

The ones I see usually don't pose for very long and require a quick sight and squeeze of the trigger.

papachaz

Just one ole guys opinion, but for coyote I would think the 3X would be ideal in Ga.

The higher power's nice for target and small game, but coyote don't behave the same.

The ones I see usually don't pose for very long and require a quick sight and squeeze of the trigger.

in order to get a quick sight, I gotta be able to see it :D:D

I'm not getting any kind of a group at all, tried multiple rounds of different ammo, and for the life of me I think it's just cause I can't see it well enough. I don't have this problem with my .270 looking through a 3x9x50 Tasco World Class. And right now, after putting through about 150 rounds, I don't have the confidence with it to even consider going to hunt with it.