First deer traditions in your family

Bigga Trust

What are some of your first deer traditions for kids, friends, etc.? Mark the face with blood? Lord's prayer or special prayer? Other?

krizia829

Face full of blood lol
Me at 12 years old with my first deer. Got this small doe with my single shot .410 running dogs in AL. Good times!! :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• IMG_4749 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_4749 Medium.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8704 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_8704 Medium.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 43

Hillbilly stalker

Bloody face, and “the necklace” if it’s a buck. It’s not optional.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I got a bloody face after killing my first deer in 1983. I know of others who got it a lot worse back then with guts and all dumped on them. Very thankful just to get a bloody face. Didn't want to mess up my pretty hair back then! :bounce:

I doubt many people do this any more these days. They used to also cut your shirt tail if you missed. I remember seeing a few guys around deer camp walking around with the backs of their t-shirts cut off. They acted like they were proud of it! facepalm:

first-buck-wma-8-point-7-jpg.1207288

first-buck-wma-8-point-1-jpg.1207289

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I got a bloody face after killing my first deer in 1983. I know of others who got it a lot worse back then with guts and all dumped on them. Very thankful just to get a bloody face. Didn't want to mess up my pretty hair back then! :bounce:

I doubt many people do this any more these days. They used to also cut your shirt tail if you missed. I remember seeing a few guys around deer camp walking around with the backs of their t-shirts cut off. They acted like they were proud of it! facepalm:

first-buck-wma-8-point-7-jpg.1207288

first-buck-wma-8-point-1-jpg.1207289
The shirt tail was a thing here too

specialk

first deers are special in my family, we mount them no matter what size.....

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member

rugerfan

Growing up, your first deer was a little blood on your face, we had to watch intently as the field dressing process went on and you had to start the drag to the truck. You may not finish it, but you at least started it.

Back at camp, you was the man, you got the first serving of dinner. Then you were relieved of the dish duty for the night.

If you missed. You got your shirt tail cut off, with your knife.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Growing up, your first deer was a little blood on your face, we had to watch intently as the field dressing process went on and you had to start the drag to the truck. You may not finish it, but you at least started it.

Back at camp, you was the man, you got the first serving of dinner. Then you were relieved of the dish duty for the night.

If you missed. You got your shirt tail cut off, with your knife.
Heart is a definite unless it was obliterated

kmaxwell3

Bloody face for us. If you missed a deer they cut your shirt tail and tacked it to the wall. There were alot of shirt tails on that wall.

Liberty

For us first deer can be anything they want to shoot that is a deer and helping to drag/ gut. After that, drag and gut stays but more mature deer are required.

wm742

Buddy of mine used to take me to a dog club in Portal, Ga. They would hold court where you had to explain why you missed the deer. Then they had a ceremonial machete that they used to cut the entire back out of your shirt.

They didn't miss anyone either. I missed a doe on a Sunday during the last hunt, then they got my shirt the next year when I came back down.