First one I've ever seen in the woods!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
According to the Google, they are separated into 2 categories. Old world and new world. Of the new world, 2 fatalities. And it said antivenom production has been resumed. I think it was 20-30 people bitten in the U.S. each year. And somehow there's differing info on whether the bite is painless or excruciating. You'd think that would be pretty clear.

When my Labrador puppy got bit on the nose by one the puppy yipped when it hit him. He died before I could get him to the vet too. Snake was about 16 inches long.

oldfella1962

According to the Google, they are separated into 2 categories. Old world and new world. Of the new world, 2 fatalities. And it said antivenom production has been resumed. I think it was 20-30 people bitten in the U.S. each year. And somehow there's differing info on whether the bite is painless or excruciating. You'd think that would be pretty clear.
Maybe it's excruciating until you die, at which point it's painless. :(

oldfella1962

When my Labrador puppy got bit on the nose by one the puppy yipped when it hit him. He died before I could get him to the vet too. Snake was about 16 inches long.
:(

Toliver

Maybe it's excruciating until you die, at which point it's painless. :(
One of the sites I was reading said it's not immediately a problem as there's little reaction. But as time goes by the toxin kinda makes your brain stop talking to your muscles and you die. Now the good news is, their fangs are not particularly efficient at delivering venom, which is why, as @Nicodemus pointed out they don't have to chew on you to inject poison but it is their habit to chew on their prey because a quick bite injects a small amount. I would guess this is the reason for the lowest human mortality rate among all the venomous snakes in the U.S. Also, as he mentioned, they're fairly docile and try to avoid people. I've heard of kids playing with the "pretty snake" for a long time before finally being bitten when the snake has had enough. I would still love the opportunity to see one in the wild but I would tread carefully with it.

oldfella1962

One of the sites I was reading said it's not immediately a problem as there's little reaction. But as time goes by the toxin kinda makes your brain stop talking to your muscles and you die. Now the good news is, their fangs are not particularly efficient at delivering venom, which is why, as @Nicodemus pointed out they don't have to chew on you to inject poison but it is their habit to chew on their prey because a quick bite injects a small amount. I would guess this is the reason for the lowest human mortality rate among all the venomous snakes in the U.S. Also, as he mentioned, they're fairly docile and try to avoid people. I've heard of kids playing with the "pretty snake" for a long time before finally being bitten when the snake has had enough. I would still love the opportunity to see one in the wild but I would tread carefully with it.
This would have been a great MythBusters experiment!

marshallknight

They don`t have to chew on you either. They can strike and envenomate the same as a pit viper. They can get some size on them. I got one that was 36 and 1/4 inch long.

Tolly, every one I ever handled was laid back and gentle, but I was still extra careful. They can move as fast as a black racer too.
I wish I would have included something in one of the pictures for size reference. This one was about 2 to 2 1/2 ft.

cowhornedspike

The only one I have ever seen was in Texas while quail hunting. It was crossing the trail, and when I put my foot on it to stop it, it repeatedly struck/bit my boot with a wide open mouth...and quickly too. Not docile at all at that point. Much faster than I expected it to be.
It was about 18" long I'd guess.