FN SLP or Beretta 1301 for Home/Self Defense?

sleepr71

Looking at picking up a high capacity,semi-auto,Shotgun for home/self defense situations. May even have to use it to bust a Coyote that decides to eat our Chickens,etc? Going to stick with gas-operated(hopefully less recoil) & something with screw in chokes. Probably going to stick with an 18.5” barrel to keep it more compact. Only doo-dads I’ll add is a good light & some sort of shell holder..just in case we need more?It’s going to have to cycle whatever We have handy..but most likely will stay stuffed with 2 3/4 #4,or BB shot(so the Wife feels comfortable grabbing it). We were considering a Mossberg 930SPX also..but have heard they aren’t the most reliable(with lower powered loads)..and only Cylinder bore. I’ve “heard” that the FN requires changing the “buffer weight” or something..IF shooting lower powered loads..but then kicks like a rented Mule,when you put high powered loads through it. The Beretta supposedly cycles whatever you feed it & is super reliable. It also comes with Tritium night site inserts standard?. Beretta 1301 is very light(6.5lbs)...which makes me question How bad it will (really) recoils ? The 1301 requires buying a magazine tube extension to make it “high capacity” & has no means of attaching a light to it(another mount to buy). Soo...sounds like the perfect SD/HD shotgun has yet to be invented! Obviously,I am NOT a shotgun,nor HD expert..but I’ve pretty well narrowed it to either the FN,or the 1301 Beretta...unless some of you sell me on something else!

Dub

I’ll bet some of the 3-Gun competitors could steer you towards a solid choice.

Hopefully they will weigh in.

WaltL1

Sounds like you already know what you are doing. Both the Beretta and the FN are "upper tier" in that type of shotgun. Youve already worked out the pros and cons of each. Sounds like all thats left is to try to actually handle both of them and go from there.
But just a comment -
Youve got concerns about "light loads" yet the way you intend to use it (HD/bustin yotes) you wont ever be shooting light loads. The light loads that can sometimes cause issues with semi autos are the "dove type" low brass etc --- that you wouldnt be using.
Maybe that should be less of a concern for you?