Turning an 870 Wingmaster hunting version into a HD weapon

cmshoot

are there plans for lengthening the forcing cone?

For her, probably not. That is getting beyond her budget, and not really necessary for a shotgun that will be used 100% inside a small residence.

I have the barrels on all my social shotguns backbored and the forcing cones lengthened. During training I’ll compare her shotgun to one of mine, and have her shot both. If she decides she wants it done, I’ll send the barrel to Vang Comp and have it done. Not only does it tighten patterns, it reduces recoil.

I keep my 870 wingmaster next to the bed with 3” double 00 buckshot. When you wake up from a dead sleep to an intruder an AR with 1500$ worth of sites and extras ain’t what you gonna need. Good job on the rebuild but I personally don’t see the need. An Express needs the extractor replaced but other than that it’s fine. I seriously doubt recoil will in anyway be a factor in a life or death situation. From first hand experience I can tell you, you will not even hear the shots let alone feel any recoil. That’s why training and familiarity with your weapon is so much more important than accessories imo.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Not only does it tighten patterns, it reduces recoil.

that was what I was thinking and that it might be helpful
I rented a reamer and did mine but didn't do it as long as recommended and it rocks pretty good...sure makes dust outta skeet targets... even with that short barrel. I think the hardest part was burnishing the barrel...sure did get it polished though....I have hones if you need them.

cmshoot

that was what I was thinking and that it might be helpful
I rented a reamer and did mine but didn't do it as long as recommended and it rocks pretty good...sure makes dust outta skeet targets... even with that short barrel. I think the hardest part was burnishing the barrel...sure did get it polished though....I have hones if you need them.

I always have Vang Comp do it. I wanna say it costs me $225-$250.

snuffy

Looks great.

Ben trying to find a 2 shot magazine extension for my 870 express. None to be found.

transfixer

I've been trying to find a short barreled 20ga for my step daughter, mainly on the used market, and they're hard to come by, after seeing this thread I may go ahead and buy one with a standard barrel and modify it, she currently has an old high standard 12ga of mine that has a 18 inch barrel but its a bit much for her, as she only weighs 115 or so

cmshoot

With Federal Personal Defense 00 buck, this open cylinder gun patterns surprisingly well. All 9 pellets inside a Copenhagen can at approximately 10 yards. The copper plating on the lead shot probably has something to do with it, by providing a hard “shell” on the outside of the pellets. When the shell is fired and the shot cup travels down the bore, some of the pellets can become deformed. Deformed pellets don’t fly straight, which open up patterns. Harder pellets don’t deform as easily.

Having the forcing cone lengthened helps ease the transition from chamber to bore, resulting in less shot deformation, which results in tighter patterns. Now that I’ve seen how tight she patterns, I don’t see me recommending having this done.

I also contribute this nice pattern to the smoothness and overall quality of the bore on these old Wingmasters.

cmshoot

Informative walk- thru, @cmshoot...
Question: I have a 20 gauge youth model 870 that my wife can handle. It sits around the house loaded with number one buck. I'd like to be able to transform it in the same manner that you have shown here. Are the parts available? Can it be done? Most interested in the additional capacity.

Yes, parts are available for your 20ga. Harder to find, but available. I’m happy to help you source the parts, as well as do the work. No charge on the labor.

cmshoot

Looks great.

Ben trying to find a 2 shot magazine extension for my 870 express. None to be found.

Right now anything “tactical” or “home defense” is very hard to find. I sourced the mag extension for this project from a buddy. Check with Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech. If they don’t have them, backorder it from someone like Midway or Brownell’s.

Latest posts