Food plot picture threads- planted w/ tractor or ATV

Confederate_Jay

Ther are some great looking food plots in the previous 2 threads. I'm just curious how many were planted using tractors vs. ATV or other means.

Our Johnson Co plots were done using a combo of tractors for the soil prep and ATV's w/ moultrie spreaders to put out seed and lime/fertilizer.

In 2005 we mowed sprayed and turned them with a turn plow during the summer. We went back over them with the harrows in the fall and planted with the ATVs.

This past year we harrowed them once in the spring and again in August to try and stay ahead of the grass and to further loosen up soil . By planting time in October the dirt was worked well enough for DoeMaster to use the tiller behind his tractor to prepare the seed bed for planting. That tiller does a very impressive job and is much faster than the harrows.
And once again the ATVs spread the seed and drug it in.

kevincox

This one was planted by tractor for five years. This year I disked it with my Kingcutter behind my Polaris ATV. I did a soil test this year and the ph was 6.8! No lime to spread this year but did add 250lbs fertilizer. This is planted with pennington's fall mix and oversseded with some chickory.There is also some durana along the edges from 2 years ago. Also, the first pic is after I put out some nitrogen and the second pic is before nitrogen!

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 382
  • foodplot,pond,house 003.jpg
    foodplot,pond,house 003.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 383

huntininmilan

if you overseeded with chicory are you gonna let the chicory keep growing i hope and not redisk it back up....that chicory if cared for will last you at least 3-5 years and it sounds like you maintain your stuff. I've had some of mine in the ground going on 3 years it will survive most anything the longer it's in the ground!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
we plant with both. Just got a tractor last year and man that makes it a whole lot less work, but it can be done with either....no matter how tough the job. we now use the tractor for plowing and the atv's for covering and still seed by hand.

I still have the plows pictured below (maybe 5 years now) they still cut with the best of them, but man I am tough on blades:p

this is an old couple of pics, but it gives you a great idea on what can be done with an atv and a set of pull behinds. no bushhog was used. It took me about 4 hours total.

before
40157000.jpg

after
40156999.jpg

prime time:D
35799657.jpg

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Good looking spot there JT......Fine job