Food source to hunt?

fishhunt05

Just getting some thoughts on what food source to hunt. I'm going this afternoon and the options are persimmon trees, red oaks, white oaks, or water oaks.

deast1988

Find a tree dropping, see if sign is there. If not keep searching. They'll show you the tree they are using the most normallly.

HermanMerman

I would imagine just about every tree with acorns woke up this morning without them due to all of the wind. It will be interesting to see how quick they get sucked up.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Right now I would be hunting persimmons and muscadines.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Persimmons, muscadines, and white oaks are all good bets right now.

fishhunt05

Thanks for the inputs guys. My camera that is on my persimmon tree hasn't had a buck in over two weeks on it so I'm thinking hunt my white oak tree that I believe is dropping. I will hope my big one shows up.

Kris87

I'd personally find the biggest white oak closest to a known bedding area. There will be a ton of green white oak acorns on the ground today, and they will be all over them.

fishhunt05

I'd personally find the biggest white oak closest to a known bedding area. There will be a ton of green white oak acorns on the ground today, and they will be all over them.

Kinda what I was thinking but I'm also trying to play the wind correct as this wind is the worst wind possible for this property but I think I can hunt it so my scent will blow parallel to the bedding area.

Kris87

I will keep harping the smoke train. I had deer downwind of me under 20 yards all weekend, including the big mature buck I wanted to kill and none of them winded me. The buck actually walked down the same sewer line that I walked in on as I didn't know his actual bedding location, and I guessed wrong. But it didn't matter. I can't tell you how many deer I've had now that were absolutely straight downwind from me that didn't blow out. I'm a 100% firm believer in smoking your gear, clothes, hats, etc....

fishhunt05

I will keep harping the smoke train. I had deer downwind of me under 20 yards all weekend, including the big mature buck I wanted to kill and none of them winded me. The buck actually walked down the same sewer line that I walked in on as I didn't know his actual bedding location, and I guessed wrong. But it didn't matter. I can't tell you how many deer I've had now that were absolutely straight downwind from me that didn't blow out. I'm a 100% firm believer in smoking your gear, clothes, hats, etc....

You know when I'm at camp I usually stand in front of the fire and have the smoke smell going on. I have the same effect that you said no deer winds me. I haven't figured out that part out when leaving from my house.

GeorgiaGlockMan

About 20 moved out of the woods and into open field at my house tonight.

They maybe tired of hunkering down.

Whatever the case they are moving tonight.

Buckfever

Please explain how you do this. Thanks

Kris87

I use a Bee smoker primarily. About $10. Then I shave off a few chips of hickory and white oak. Load it up, start it with a torch, and it'll smoke away. Very effective and takes just a few min.

uturn

I will agree with Kris on the Smoking...I've been doing it for quite some time myself and have been looked at with some very questioning looks from a lot of folks over the years when at their camp but, most of the folks that have spent any time at my camp with me are now believers too!

It absolutely works like nothing else!!

Try it...

uturn

Buck fever..I kinda dance around in it with everything I got before I walk! Not that I'm not Doctoring my stuff all the time while at camp.

Like Kris I use a Bee Smoker or Chimnarea when I'm not at my camp but, at mine the fire pit rolls till I snuff it out before I lock gate headin home..