Found! Good Persimmon Grafting Wood

Jim Boyd

Kevin @Kdog you are gonna have a forest on top of ONE donor tree!

Love it!

What is the white looking spray? Just a sealant like the black tarry stuff I am using?

Speaking of tarry, a little of it goes a LONG way once you get it in your hands!!!!!

IMG_5263.jpeg

Kdog

I just used what I had at the house. Electrical tape and water resistant/proof glue. Also just used an old Kershaw that I used when I did landscaping and tree work years ago. It worked well on the larger tree, but would have been a bit much for smaller ones.

Will probably regret it but I put two deer candy and two deer magnet on each tree.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Aaaah, I see.

I have been basically cutting one side only - about 50% gone…. And then lightly trying to scrape the brown bark away on the other side.

Maybe I am making it harder than it needs to be?

Again, much appreciated!
Aha! That is the source of your problems, then. Cut both sides at an angle tapering to a thin tip. You will get plenty of cambium contact where the cambium layer is exposed by the cut on each side. You want a flat, wedge-shaped cross section, not a rounded on one side one. The rounded side is not going to make good contact.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I just used what I had at the house. Electrical tape and water resistant/proof glue. Also just used an old Kershaw that I used when I did landscaping and tree work years ago. It worked well on the larger tree, but would have been a bit much for smaller ones.

Will probably regret it but I put two deer candy and two deer magnet on each tree.
I usually put two per tree just to up the odds, then pick the best one after they're established and cut the other one off. If you leave multiple trunks coming up from the graft union, it will always be a weak spot, and will likely split in two when it comes a bad storm or a critter climbs it.

Kdog

I usually put two per tree just to up the odds, then pick the best one after they're established and cut the other one off. If you leave multiple trunks coming up from the graft union, it will always be a weak spot, and will likely split in two when it comes a bad storm or a critter climbs it.
Yep, planned to graft multiple trees, but that option went away, so I just played with the ones I had. I will thin them down once I see how they do.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Kevin @Kdog you are gonna have a forest on top of ONE donor tree!

Love it!

What is the white looking spray? Just a sealant like the black tarry stuff I am using?

Speaking of tarry, a little of it goes a LONG way once you get it in your hands!!!!!

View attachment 1302709
This is by far the best video tutorial I've seen. I do it exactly like this, and usually get 90%+ success. He shows cutting the scion at about 4:50. I also make the same bark cut that he does-one cut and slide the scion in behind it, instead of two cuts and flap it out.

Jim Boyd

I am in Texas this week but will watch video tonight at hotel, @NCHillbilly

Thanks again.

I went back and reread the Deer Association 2 part instruction sheet this am while waiting in CLT airport. Strange how what you think you remember ain’t always exactly what you DO remember.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Jim Boyd

This is by far the best video tutorial I've seen. I do it exactly like this, and usually get 90%+ success. He shows cutting the scion at about 4:50. I also make the same bark cut that he does-one cut and slide the scion in behind it, instead of two cuts and flap it out.

Really good video.

Shows that you can do it with just about any old things you have on hand.

I think I will have some that will take out of this first batch but I see a bunch of things I have done wrong.

I still have some Fuyu to work on and I have several clusters of trees that I am gonna work through to see what happens.

Dows a female need a male nearby to make fruit??????

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Really good video.

Shows that you can do it with just about any old things you have on hand.

I think I will have some that will take out of this first batch but I see a bunch of things I have done wrong.

I still have some Fuyu to work on and I have several clusters of trees that I am gonna work through to see what happens.

Dows a female need a male nearby to make fruit??????
If you're anywhere in SC, GA, or NC, there's probably a male nearby. I think some of the cultivars like Meader are self-fertile, too.

Jim Boyd

I think this bud is swelling and turning green.

If it grows, I will have equaled by 2023 success rate.

I think I did 19 Meadors and this weekend I did 20 Fuyu. I did the Fuyu in two bunches with the grafted trees no more than about 25 feet apart in each bunch.

IMG_5300.jpeg

Jim Boyd

To say that I am overjoyed is a vast understatement.

Meadors and Fuyu (the latter, only a week grafted) are budding and making leaves.

I feel severely humbled and severely appreciate all the knowledge gained on GON.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's an amazing feeling, isn't it?