Franchi Compact 20 gauge ??

bullit

Seeking input on the Franchi Compact in 20 gauge. It seems like the one to go with for the weight and such. I'd thought about the Retay but it seems heavier and more expensive.
Pros n cons?
Is mounting a red dot on it easy enough?

TomC

Not the compact but had a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge a few years back. Good shooter but was a THUMB BUSTER to load.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Seeking input on the Franchi Compact in 20 gauge. It seems like the one to go with for the weight and such. I'd thought about the Retay but it seems heavier and more expensive.
Pros n cons?
Is mounting a red dot on it easy enough?
If I was choosing between those two I would go with the Franchi.

deast1988

Pinhoti switched up to a Benelli ultra light.

But the Affinity a3 and a meadow creek red dot mount. Then a Pinhoti trulock choke, .560 if you want the hot core. I say the Pinhoti choke because part of the proceeds go to a charity to give back the turkeys. I’d get the camo A3, compact comes all black. So then upcharge on the paint/dip job it will put you over a factory dipped gun. I hunt with a buddy who uses a bottom land 26in a3 meadow creek base FF3 and a .570 Sumtoy. I’ve seen him wreck a few with it.

Jack Flynn

I've had an A3 for several years. The compact in bottomland. Sumtoy mount, FF3 and Sumtoy 570 choke. Shoots TSS great and longbeard even better per the price difference. Nice gun, mounting the red dot would be simple.

WFL

Good little set. 562 hot 570 hunter friendly. Put the mount on the receiver for field of view and it will be bolted in factory drilled holes.
Spend the rest on shells and gas.

Now the 3020 is also a nice little rig.

J Gilbert

I've got the Affinity 3 in Bottomland with 26" barrel and it's awesome. Shooting Apex 9's and a Sumtoy .570, it put somewhere in the neighborhood of 320-330 pellets in a 10" circle two years ago when I first got it. I haven't mounted a red dot because I prefer a bead if the gun shoots true (and this one does), but it's as simple as ordering a mount from Sumtoy and attaching the red dot to it since it's already tapped from the factory.

I'm hunting some areas now that have more close quarters opportunities and have ordered a .585 choke for it from Trulock. At 20 yards, my current setup looks about like a volleyball, and I'm hoping to make that more like a beach ball so I've got a little leeway if needed, especially if a bird gets inside that range - not really concerned with pellet counts but I'm guessing it'll end up somewhere in the 250-275 range when I finally get to shoot it.

I'll end up keeping both chokes in my bag or case and just alternate based on where I'm hunting - open pines, fields/plots, etc. will be the .570 and steep hardwoods or thicker timber will be the .585 choke.

Kwaksmoka

I have the Franchi Affinty compact 20, I put a full size stock on it. I really like it and have used it for 4 years now. I have a Sumtoy choke which is my go to for all of my guns. Would highly recommend this gun.

Spinnerbait

I have the affinity compact in my opinion its a good gun, not great. Like said earlier if you’re on a dove field the stiff spring will wear out your thumb.

As far as turkeys, Nobody has mentioned it but I will say that gun cost me two turkeys. I haven’t turkey hunted with it since. I had the “Benelli click” twice. I know it happened to Dave Owen’s with that gun as well on video. The time it happened in South ga hurt my feelings but the one on the last morning on public land in Wyoming was the last straw. Can’t say for sure what caused it, probably walking through thick brush caught the action and barely opened it. I personally own the retay turkey xt. I like a short turkey gun but have long arms so I really struggle with a shorter gun so the retay makes sense because it has a normal LOP but shorter barrel. Its also an inertia gun but they claim with their inertia plus action the Benelli click is impossible. May have been a one off but that’s my experience.

Spinnerbait

Failed to mention one huge advantage of the franchi or retay is that they come drilled and tapped. I hate the thought of paying someone to drill and tap a $1500 gun and them being off center.

J Gilbert

I have the affinity compact in my opinion its a good gun, not great. Like said earlier if you’re on a dove field the stiff spring will wear out your thumb.

As far as turkeys, Nobody has mentioned it but I will say that gun cost me two turkeys. I haven’t turkey hunted with it since. I had the “Benelli click” twice. I know it happened to Dave Owen’s with that gun as well on video. The time it happened in South ga hurt my feelings but the one on the last morning on public land in Wyoming was the last straw. Can’t say for sure what caused it, probably walking through thick brush caught the action and barely opened it. I personally own the retay turkey xt. I like a short turkey gun but have long arms so I really struggle with a shorter gun so the retay makes sense because it has a normal LOP but shorter barrel. Its also an inertia gun but they claim with their inertia plus action the Benelli click is impossible. May have been a one off but that’s my experience.

I see people talk about this, but through 2 seasons I haven’t had that issue. I do load it by hitting the bolt release instead of easing it closed, but do it at the truck as part of my “getting ready” ritual, and I check the gun a few times per hunt but have never found it out of battery.

Spinnerbait

Yeah I did the same. Don’t believe in easing it shut. Couldve just been a bad spring but I can assure you I wasn’t gonna give it a chance to cost me 3 birds. I hope nobody has that happen cause it sucks. When I shot a 12 ga still I hunted with a benelli SBE and SBE2 and killed a pile of birds without one benelli click. Buddy of mine spent a fortune on a souped up M2 and had it cost him two birds because of the click. He sold it for that reason.

killerv

I have the compact, should be fine with turkey loads. It doesnt cycle target loads at all. My buddies full size wont either.

I know someone that put a Burris FF red dot on his affinity 20ga. The click thing is real. He think it got bumped and the bolt backed out of battery. Yes, happened on a bird.

I see folks mentioning benellis, mine stopped after about 500 rounds through it. Got to break them in.

goblr77

I have the Franchi Affinty compact 20, I put a full size stock on it. I really like it and have used it for 4 years now. I have a Sumtoy choke which is my go to for all of my guns. Would highly recommend this gun.

I did the same thing with the full size stock. I bought the compact for my daughter and changed up the stock when she outgrew the short LOP. Unless someone is really short I would not suggest using the stock that comes with the gun.

FLGobstopper

Anyone have a compact or pistol grip stock they took of their Affinity that's just sitting around collecting dust? I'm looking for one if you do.

Thanks!

I have the compact, should be fine with turkey loads. It doesnt cycle target loads at all. My buddies full size wont either.

I know someone that put a Burris FF red dot on his affinity 20ga. The click thing is real. He think it got bumped and the bolt backed out of battery. Yes, happened on a bird.

I see folks mentioning benellis, mine stopped after about 500 rounds through it. Got to break them in.

Franchi will cycle lighter loads but need to be broken in with heavier loads first.