Franchi Compact 20 gauge ??

killerv

Franchi will cycle lighter loads but need to be broken in with heavier loads first.

I know, you know what Franchi recommended? Two cases of winchester AA heavy target...you know what two cases of AA heavy target costs? I could have spent that money and upgraded to a benelli.

You dont have to do this with quality shotguns.

Gaswamp

whats the weight difference between the franchi and new benelli is 20ga?

Permitchaser

I've got the Affinity 3 in Bottomland with 26" barrel and it's awesome. Shooting Apex 9's and a Sumtoy .570, it put somewhere in the neighborhood of 320-330 pellets in a 10" circle two years ago when I first got it. I haven't mounted a red dot because I prefer a bead if the gun shoots true (and this one does), but it's as simple as ordering a mount from Sumtoy and attaching the red dot to it since it's already tapped from the factory.

I'm hunting some areas now that have more close quarters opportunities and have ordered a .585 choke for it from Trulock. At 20 yards, my current setup looks about like a volleyball, and I'm hoping to make that more like a beach ball so I've got a little leeway if needed, especially if a bird gets inside that range - not really concerned with pellet counts but I'm guessing it'll end up somewhere in the 250-275 range when I finally get to shoot it.

I'll end up keeping both chokes in my bag or case and just alternate based on where I'm hunting - open pines, fields/plots, etc. will be the .570 and steep hardwoods or thicker timber will be the .585 choke.
I
I doubt you find much difference in those 2 choke

J Gilbert

I
I doubt you find much difference in those 2 choke

I was surprised, but the Trulock was around 240 in the 10" and the Sumtoy does around 320. The barrel was clean when I shot the Sumtoy previously but was dirty for the Trulock shots, that could be part of it too, but the Trulock did get give a pattern a little bigger than a basketball versus a one a little smaller than a volleyball at 25 for the Sumtoy, so my plan should work out pretty well.

Gator89

I see people talk about this, but through 2 seasons I haven’t had that issue. I do load it by hitting the bolt release instead of easing it closed, but do it at the truck as part of my “getting ready” ritual, and I check the gun a few times per hunt but have never found it out of battery.

I have hunted with a Benelli of some sort since 2009, pheasant, turkey and a couple of dove shoots. Never had a "click' that did not dent a primer.

I have walked mile long, standing corn, standing milo fields, flushed birds from cattails, etc. my Benellis have always gone bang.

I have a friend that has long fingers and apparently holds his gun some way that he bumps the cartridge drop lever when going for the safety/trigger. On THIS gun, I know it is the shooter, not the gun. I bought the gun after watching the original owner shoot pheasant several years with it, it never failed him. When the original owner stepped up to a Benelli Legacy, I bought the used Montefeltro. Another friend saw it and wanted it, so I sold it to him as I did not need really need 2 Monte's.

Not every brand of gun works for every shooter.

spencer12

Just a heads up the action on a Benelli SBE3 changed a bit and now it is virtually impossible for the receiver not to rotate even if it is barely bumped it will still rotate closed. I’ve never had an issue in 14 years and 2 benellis with the “click” but I do know what causes it.

I know, you know what Franchi recommended? Two cases of winchester AA heavy target...you know what two cases of AA heavy target costs? I could have spent that money and upgraded to a benelli.

You dont have to do this with quality shotguns.

You can think that all you want but I have seen those "Quality Benelli's" have their fair share of issues also. Not to mention having to spend the extra money on a mount and red dot because it shoots high instead of point of aim..