Generational Nostalgia Biscuits

specialk

My Ma made biscuits with flour from hopper mounted in a cabinet, had a sifter on the bottom. The cabinet came from the company store. That big blue biscuit bowl seemed to always have flour in it. Lard other makings were added in the bowl. She worked the biscuits by hand. Those biscuits remind me of those days long ago.

i got an old hoosier cabinet like the one in this pic that i had refinished, belonged to my late wifes family.....has the fully functioning sifter.....

1699735090658.png

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My Ma made biscuits with flour from hopper mounted in a cabinet, had a sifter on the bottom. The cabinet came from the company store. That big blue biscuit bowl seemed to always have flour in it. Lard other makings were added in the bowl. She worked the biscuits by hand. Those biscuits remind me of those days long ago.
Grandma had the same kind of hopper that Grandpa built for her. It had a pull-out dough board over the bin.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

slow motion

The treasures you find make the task at hand bearable. Will continue to pray for you brother in your time of grief.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I can relate. Went to my grandparents old home place recently. I could almost smell sausage and biscuits cooking.

Sometimes when I’m cooking it here I’ll go outside just to walk back up the steps to smell it like I did when I was a kid.

specialk

Mama had one exactly like that. Hers was red where the blue on yours is. It lives in my sister's house now.

That was a stock photo....look at post 26 and 27....better pics....those pics are of mine....plus an old hand crank churn my father in law had as well...

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
That was a stock photo....look at post 26 and 27....better pics....those pics are of mine....plus an old hand crank churn my father in law had as well...
Gotcha. So your is red too. Mama also had one of those hand crank churns. Hers was much smaller.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Don't know how I missed this thread up until now. :oops:

Glad I just ate lunch or I'd be mixing up biscuits and frying some sausage and trying to hurt myself eating.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you're going to post a picture of lip smacking biscuits, you need to post the recipe too. :)
Pour some self rising flour in a bowl. Dump a big glob of shortening in there and mix it up with your fingers until it's all crumbled up together. Dump some buttermilk in there, and stir it up. Dump it on a cutting board, mash it out flat about 1/2"-3/4" thick, cut the biscuits, put them on a greased pan, and bake them at about 425* until they're done. When you take them out of the oven, rub the tops with a stick of butter. :)

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Pour some self rising flour in a bowl. Dump a big glob of shortening in there and mix it up with your fingers until it's all crumbled up together. Dump some buttermilk in there, and stir it up. Dump it on a cutting board, mash it out flat about 1/2"-3/4" thick, cut the biscuits, put them on a greased pan, and bake them at about 425* until they're done. When you take them out of the oven, rub the tops with a stick of butter. :)
You stole my recipe. :rofl:

huntfish

Thank you!

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Very cool man!

I have my grandmother’s Dutch oven. It was her wedding gift when her and granddad married. My mom said she used it every day. I don’t remember either of them as they both passed away before I was a year old.

Latest posts