Getting pushed out of Standing Boy WMA

rosewood

You may be right. I have seen them in my backyard get spooked when I walk to my shop. They run in woods and then shortly when the coast is clear, they come back to the feeder. They will watch my neighbors in their front yard many times and not even run.

Rosewood

Taco4x4

Update. I am still hunting the bike trail Bonanza. I agree with what your saying. They will get used to it but not the bigger deer. I am still seeing deer just about every set but not the quality I know lives there. No cam pics of anything I would call a shooter. Normally by now I have several bucks on my hit list but not this year. I have been scouting every weekend moving cameras around trying to find out where there hiding at. It makes it more work that relaxation but I love the chase and when it finally comes together its so much sweeter. I plan to give it 110 percent till Jan 10th.

rosewood

I think u are right. Big bucks rarely get used to people.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !

Go check some golf courses.

As a matter of fact, since hikers/bikers/horseback riders can share the WMAs during hunting season, why can't hunters share the golf courses?

I'd rent me a cart, load up my buck and head to the 19th hole. I'd even wear silly clothes so the golfers would feel so dumb(I assume golfers feel dumb wearing their silly clothes).

texas deer.pngpants.png

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
BTW, how has the hunting been at Standing Boy WMA(assuming the trails were put in)?

Any issues with the granola munching spandex wearing girly men?

Taco4x4

They were put in alright. Two or three at different skill levels. The last one they put in took out my best area. They call that one the LONELY HUNTER. Funny ain't it. During the week they are in there with trucks surveying for more trails. You cant walk anywhere on that property without seeing survey tape around trees. They say no one is allowed on the trails till 10am. Ha Ha sometimes I hear them riding at 8am. That wouldn't be so bad if they just ride but no they feel the need to carry on a loud conversation while they ride and the kids feel like they have to scream going down every hill. So aggravating. OK with that off my chest yes I still see deer. The first hour and last hour are best of course because THEY haven't arrived yet. Meat would be no problem. Plenty of little bucks and does but that ain't what I am after. I know what really lives there. I Plan on some intensive scouting this weekend. I will pull a good one out of there again this year.

rosewood

Go check some golf courses.

As a matter of fact, since hikers/bikers/horseback riders can share the WMAs during hunting season, why can't hunters share the golf courses?

I'd rent me a cart, load up my buck and head to the 19th hole. I'd even wear silly clothes so the golfers would feel so dumb(I assume golfers feel dumb wearing their silly clothes).

View attachment 1054734View attachment 1054735
I said rarely...always a few exceptions

Go tell that to them SEEK ONE Boys! LOL
The biggest one Lee Ellis killed, He turned around (while still in the tree) and told the land owner (40 yards away) he just shot him while the property owner sat on his back porch drinking coffee, he said he heard the THWACK

Taco4x4

Mr. jiminbogart please don't try to hunt them golf courses. Well unless you have a fat wallet. Funny you brought that up after what happened to me a few weeks ago. I grew up hunting Bull Creek watershed land next to Bull Creek Golf Course here in Columbus Ga. Our backyard butted up to that land ( City Land ) It was an extension to our backyard in our minds. We hunted small game and dove back there and no one ever seemed to care. My buddy shot his first deer there back in the early 80's Any way for off and on 35 years I have been huntin that place. Yes as it got more developed around it I switched to Archery only and it was now city limits. So a few weeks ago I took a break from the bike trails and went to Bull Creek seen a bunch of deer but nothing big. At dark I get a phone call. Yes Mr. GW done ran my tag and called me. Sir will you please come and meet with us at your truck. Ok sure be rite there. I was Enlightened that what once was ok is not ok anymore. He said THINGS CHANGE and now you need written permission to hunt here and the City pretty much ain't gonna give anyone that. I was issued two citations. One for hunting without permission and the other for no orange. Good thing I was saving for new 33's for my Taco because it was 973.50 to pay that. Tires will have to wait now. Stay away from Golf courses. Unless your actually playing golf.

Taco4x4

Go tell that to them SEEK ONE Boys! LOL
The biggest one Lee Ellis killed, He turned around (while still in the tree) and told the land owner (40 yards away) he just shot him while the property owner sat on his back porch drinking coffee, he said he heard the THWACK
I am willing to bet that those bucks were born and raised around that environment and have fully adapted to that way of life. On the other hand a 3 plus year old buck is not going to except a lot of change happening around them and move away from it. Now in three or four years you will be able to ride your bike out there and watch 10 pointers feeding beside the trail because that's all they have ever known.

rosewood

I can echo that remark. I built some freestanding pipe feeders. The does and younguns jumped on them within a few weeks, but I didn't see the first mature buck eating from one of those feeders until about 2-3 years after I put them out. I am confident those bucks grew up eating from those feeders with their mom. Any bucks that didn't grow up eating from them pretty much avoided them. When I catch a buck roaming through and he goes straight to the feeder, I know he has been there before.

Rosewood

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Man I hate to hear this. I don’t do a ton of public land hunting but I do some. I don’t know when the city folks and yuppies went into their outdoor craze but I wish they hadn’t. And these people are pushy and far less live and let live than most hunters. We were camping at Bull Mountain during early June and I was blown away by the amount of city boy mountain bikers.

rosewood

Man I hate to hear this. I don’t do a ton of public land hunting but I do some. I don’t know when the city folks and yuppies went into their outdoor craze but I wish they hadn’t. And these people are pushy and far less live and let live than most hunters. We were camping at Bull Mountain during early June and I was blown away by the amount of city boy mountain bikers.

We have to introduce them to firearms. Got to get them to shoot just once. I have never let someone shoot and then they say "I didn't like that". Most times they have a big smile on their face.

Rosewood

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
This area was originally slated to become a state park, but we ended up getting to use it more like a WMA. There are a lot of WMA acres that hunters get to use that were not purchased with hunter's dollars. While hunters do foot the bills for most WMAs, we do get the benefit of areas purchased with non-hunting sources. Let's be thankful for that and not bash some of these other uses since we are also benefiting from non-hunters.
Exactly. This area was acquired with the intention of eventually being a state park. Dnr was able to use it as a public hunting ground until that happened. Now it’s happening. The years it was used as WMA are really just “gravy” to hunters
there have been other places that were acquired for similar reasons that hunting wasn’t allowed. Be thankful for what you’ve been able to do up until now.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
If those bikers ride during rifle season, do they have to wear an orange vest? If not, why not? Or is it bow only?

Rosewood
No
Because the law says hunters and those accompanying hunters have to wear orange
Squirrel hunters etc don’t have to wear it either

They could just shut it down to hunting —the 95-98% of the states population that doesn’t buy a hunting license wouldn’t know the difference and would probably support it

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
If I remember correctly Dnr had to fight pretty hard against the locals who came out in force to NOT allow hunting on that piece of property. Be glad the hippies and Karen’s didn’t win.

Last edited:

brunofishing

Mr. jiminbogart please don't try to hunt them golf courses. Well unless you have a fat wallet. Funny you brought that up after what happened to me a few weeks ago. I grew up hunting Bull Creek watershed land next to Bull Creek Golf Course here in Columbus Ga. Our backyard butted up to that land ( City Land ) It was an extension to our backyard in our minds. We hunted small game and dove back there and no one ever seemed to care. My buddy shot his first deer there back in the early 80's Any way for off and on 35 years I have been huntin that place. Yes as it got more developed around it I switched to Archery only and it was now city limits. So a few weeks ago I took a break from the bike trails and went to Bull Creek seen a bunch of deer but nothing big. At dark I get a phone call. Yes Mr. GW done ran my tag and called me. Sir will you please come and meet with us at your truck. Ok sure be rite there. I was Enlightened that what once was ok is not ok anymore. He said THINGS CHANGE and now you need written permission to hunt here and the City pretty much ain't gonna give anyone that. I was issued two citations. One for hunting without permission and the other for no orange. Good thing I was saving for new 33's for my Taco because it was 973.50 to pay that. Tires will have to wait now. Stay away from Golf courses. Unless your actually playing golf.
That stinks man, I would be in court with that one. I know of a few firefighters that are still hunting behind the DMV. I remember when there was bow targets set up all through those woods.

Liberty

Columbus is a democrat controlled liberal city. This year ot had a record number of murders, and it ain't over yet. City folk usually don't care about hunting, and bicyclists have a law on the books that says you have to dodge them in your car. These are examples of the society driving this.

I am willing to bet that those bucks were born and raised around that environment and have fully adapted to that way of life. On the other hand a 3 plus year old buck is not going to except a lot of change happening around them and move away from it. Now in three or four years you will be able to ride your bike out there and watch 10 pointers feeding beside the trail because that's all they have ever known.

Yeah I agree with you there that this year its probably over and gonna disturb the deer a bit, but I was mainly referring to the OP, you made it sound like standing boy was over and gonna be void of deer. As long as them does stay there them big boys will be around