Give a simple explanation of the Trinity.

Big7

The Oracle
So, you want simple?

Go HERE:
https://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/GODA22.htm

And though my particular faith does not allow self discernment
of Scripture, let's just say for the purpose of this thread,
that anything we can not understand, God has it figured out FOR us and HE will reveal it in His own time.

Other than that, we have to run on what has been revealed
and have FAITH in what has not.

FAITH being the operative on this one.

Israel

BANNED
Sorry, it was my clumsy attempt to say that, in my opinion, the failure preceded the doctrine being formalized in the Nicene Creed (325 A.D).

We fail miserably in our understanding of relationships among ourselves, and what we think we understand, we fail to successfully implement; which leaves our supposed understanding unsubstantiated. How could we possibly even think of defining relationship within the Devine?

^^^^^^that^^^^^

I in them, and Thou in me, that they may be perfected into one, and that the world may know that Thou didst send me, and didst love them as Thou didst love me.

This cannot be grasped...but it is to be believed and received.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
^^^^^^that^^^^^

I in them, and Thou in me, that they may be perfected into one, and that the world may know that Thou didst send me, and didst love them as Thou didst love me.

As I sat musing your post I noticed that the 1st and 2nd person pronouns (I and Thou) have active voice verbs, and the third person (they and the world >>and them<<) have passive voice verbs, and a big smile came with — we may not understand how it works, but we are told why it works.

Deut 32:
1 “Let my teaching drop as the rain,
My speech distill as the dew,
As the droplets on the fresh grass
And as the showers on the herb.
3 “For I proclaim the name of the Lord;
Ascribe greatness to our God!
4 “The Rock! His work is perfect,
For all His ways are just;
A God of faithfulness and without injustice,
Righteous and upright is He.

Last edited:

1gr8bldr

Did Paul believe in the preexistence of Jesus? Did the Jews believe in the preexistence of a Messiah?
If he did then calling him the second Adam would not work. He would be the first. The Jews, unlike our generation, believed in Jesus not pre existing actually but "in word". Because those of faith believed God's promises as fact, although not already come to pass. "and the word became flesh"

hobbs27

If he did then calling him the second Adam would not work. He would be the first. The Jews, unlike our generation, believed in Jesus not pre existing actually but "in word". Because those of faith believed God's promises as fact, although not already come to pass. "and the word became flesh"

Second Adam won't work anyway. He was the last Adam.

gordon 2

^^^^^^that^^^^^

And understood! Or the verse gets written 50 times on the blackboard--after school.

hobbs27

He was manifested in the flesh without sin.(keyword "manifested"

1 Cor.15:47
The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven.

Look at this translation.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
The first man was dust from the ground; The second man, THE LORD JEHOVAH from Heaven.

welderguy

Look at this translation.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
The first man was dust from the ground; The second man, THE LORD JEHOVAH from Heaven.

I like that!

Also, Hebrews 7 likens Melchizedek to Jesus, saying he had no record of a beginning or end.
Jesus had no beginning or end.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Whelp! I see the spirit of this thread has followed the swine right off the abyss. Thanks for the input while it lasted.

1gr8bldr

Whelp! I see the spirit of this thread has followed the swine right off the abyss. Thanks for the input while it lasted.
Sorry about that. I enjoy discussing the bible. But this was not the proper place for apologetics. You guys should have a place to discuss your beliefs without conflicting discussion. Lesson learned on my part. I will stay in the apologetics from now on. Please accept my apology.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I dont think Ive ever heard a simple explanation of the trinity. Most times I attempt, people doubt that I believe in it.

Artfuldodger

I read this explanation from a Catholic;
Father is the first person of the Trinity. Son is the second person. Holy Spirit is the third.
Reason being, God the Father is the ultimate origin of all. God the Son is "eternally begotten" and co-eternal, but begotten nonetheless. Further, the Holy Spirit "proceeds" from the Father and Son.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
I dont think Ive ever heard a simple explanation of the trinity. Most times I attempt, people doubt that I believe in it.

Made me smile. Been there.

gordon 2

Lord ministers to the faithful Hebrews-Jews=Father.
Lord ministers to the Jews and Gentiles = Jesus.
Lord ministering to His people in the here and now=Holy Spirit.

Same Minister, different ministries.

:) LOL

Vectorman

This popped into my mind yesterday during service. (Yes it got a little boring and my mind wandered). How would you explain the Trinity in a simple manner. The best I've ever understood it was as H2O. Meaning, whether being in vapor, ice, or liquid it's still H2O.

Just interested in some other SIMPLE visualizations.

The only simple answer here is as some others have explained, there is no simple answer. This is one of those things that requires faith in what we don't understand.
I've heard some of the "simple" explanations and they all fall short. ex. Water being solid, liquid, gas.... a good try but water can be one of the three at any time but cannot be all three at the same time. .....Father/Son/Husband ... I am all three at once but I cannot be all three separately at the same time that communicates with each other individually. (If you try this they will send the men with the long sleeved jacket to pick you up ::gone: )

This is one of the reasons that we shouldn't try and put God in a box of explanation. God has said very clearly that we shouldn't take a physical object and use it to explain who He is because it will fall short.