Good harness needed

Jim Boyd

Hey Folks!

Time to get serious about a harness.

I have an older style vest harness. It is heavy, bulky and covers my jacket pockets.

Looking for maximum comfort, ease of getting it on in the dark and least restrictive.

I can’t quite talk myself into the waist style harness (rock climber) - I bought one and it just does not feel “right”.

Not as concerned with cost (actually, that is my least concern) but am very interested in the qualities listed above.

What works for you - and why, please?

Many thanks

shdw633

I really love my Featherlite Tree Spiderweb pants. It has the safety harness built right into the pants so it feels like you are just wearing a set of bibs. Light and comfortable even for my big frame. You can find them on sale from time to time but they usually run up around $150+. Here is a link that has some mediums for $50.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com...1091&msclkid=f33e1ca86ec3179652fe7c5dd3a4bec0

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Hey Folks!

I have an older style vest harness. It is heavy, bulky and covers my jacket pockets.

Looking for maximum comfort, ease of getting it on in the dark and least restrictive.

I can’t quite talk myself into the waist style harness (rock climber) - I bought one and it just does not feel “right”.

Not as concerned with cost (actually, that is my least concern) but am very interested in the qualities listed above.

Many thanks

Although I actually use a vest style for most of my hunting, I use this one for warm weather hunts or for when I am wanting to wear under my outer layers. Simplistic and easy in and out of.

https://huntersafetysystem.com/collections/harness-pre-load/products/x-1

treemanjohn

Banned
I don't like harnesses with a D ring in the rear. Check out quality tree saddles even though you don't like waist style

DSGB

2nd the HSS X1

Gl4di4torRr

Hey Folks!

Many thanks
You're hunting from a treestand?

Sixes

I also use the Summit pro model. I've owned several over the years and this one is the best for me.

Not hot, not heavy and not complicated. Tried the HSS and found them to be very hot and did not suit my wants for a harness.

Jim Boyd

You're hunting from a treestand?

Yes. Mostly ladders, some of which are 20-25’ tall.

I am 64 yo and gave up the climber a few years back.

Gave up lock on stands about 15 years ago.

Jim Boyd

What did you not like about a rock climbing harness? I use a Black Diamond Alpine Bod. I'll never go back to a full body harness.

Have buddies that use them but they just “look” top heavy to me.

I have a brand new one. When I put it on, I just cannot see myself relying on it in a fall.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I love my New Tribe saddle without the removable legs.
I use an ascender tied in to one of the soft (read SILENT) hip D rings. This provides easy one handed adjustment both tightening and releasing the rope I use as a pole strap. If the legs are left in use you have a great 3 point tie off in the front for vertical support. I use this mostly for setting my ladders and my lock ons/climbing sticks. Most comfortable and safe feeling rig you'll wear.

I leave a tie-in strap at waist level on my stands and when I'm hunting, I actually use an even more simple web belt with a carabiner to clip into them.

20210721_210112.jpg

Last edited: