Harness question and thoughts? (horror story included from 2019)

Bubba_1122

I will, for sure.

I personally think the tide is turning.

I have other thoughts but will share later. On the stand and deer in sight.

Greatest cause of injury to deer hunters? By far it's falls from tree stands. Climbers and hang ons are in use 56 % of where the incidents happen.

Here's a little more info (Tree Stand Safety Awareness Foundation):

https://treestandsafetyawarenessfounda.godaddysites.com/

There's a lot of legitimate reasons to.

There aren't really any good reasons not to.

Feel like it can't happen to you. Everyone thinks that. It's not true.

Feel like being tethered hampers your mobility? Try deer hunting in a wheelchair one Saturday this fall. Now there's a perspective.

Being safe starts with being smart. Hope everyone has a great season in the deer woods.

Jim Boyd

Greatest cause of injury to deer hunters? By far it's falls from tree stands. Climbers and hang ons are in use 56 % of where the incidents happen.

Here's a little more info (Tree Stand Safety Awareness Foundation):

https://treestandsafetyawarenessfounda.godaddysites.com/

There's a lot of legitimate reasons to.

There aren't really any good reasons not to.

Feel like it can't happen to you. Everyone thinks that. It's not true.

Feel like being tethered hampers your mobility? Try deer hunting in a wheelchair one Saturday this fall. Now there's a perspective.

Being safe starts with being smart. Hope everyone has a great season in the deer woods.

Great, great thoughts and opinion.

I know I need to be corrected.

It is just trying to correct decades of behavior.

I sat in the stand last night, 21’ up and was perfectly comfortable - but I know I need to get harnessed up.

Deer on the move during the hunt also!

AD29D31A-0203-4331-9E6B-9EC2859E5E96.jpeg

Kris87

Also, if anyone wants to convert to a RCH, then its very easy to make your own tether that you can use on a lifeline and leave attached to the lifeline the whole time. I simply use another lineman's rope, or get some 3/8" quality rope, and measure how high I can raise my hand above my head. That's how long I want my tether so when I'm climbing, I can push my prussik knot that high. Then when you step onto your stand, simply leave it attached and push it to your desired height to keep it out of your way. It doesn't make any movement if you keep your lifeline tight.

nmurph

I disagree- I bet the number one cause of hunting injuries is to knees/backs/ankles from miss-steps in woods.

Bubba_1122

I know I need to be corrected.

It is just trying to correct decades of behavior.

I very much understand. And no intention to correct anyone. Just to encourage folks to stay safe (myself included).

I was cleaning up around a stand last Saturday and wanted to see what else needed to be done. Didn’t have a harness on or even with me. Very carefully climbed up, took a look and climbed back down. Not the first time I”ve done that.

Felt kind of odd (don’t think I’ve actually hunted without a harness in a couple of years (probably since I had neck surgery in 2017)). Just a little more careful than I used to be (sure not wanting to do that neck or back surgery thing again). Felt a little odd being up there “unhooked” .

Last edited:

Bubba_1122

I disagree- I bet the number one cause of hunting injuries is to knees/backs/ankles from miss-steps in woods.
That’s logical.

My comments were just sharing what I’ve read. I do think they’re talking about serious injuries (involving ambulances, emergency rooms, funeral homes, etc).

Regardless, the point is that falling from a tree stand, whether climber, lean to, chain on or built into the tree is a dangerous proposition. And there are ways to pretty well manage that risk if there’s the commitment and the self discipline to be consistent with it.

As I tell my grandsons when they do stupid stuff (and grandsons < 10 years old regularly do stupid stuff(as do I)) - “ just know that you can’t undo it once it’s done”.

Last edited:

Ugahunter2013

Does anyone know of any videos like the one above for what to do if you are in the HSS type harness with the safety strap in the back?

Bubba_1122

Does anyone know of any videos like the one above for what to do if you are in the HSS type harness with the safety strap in the back?
For dealing with what to do if fall start at about the 9 minute mark of the video (everything in this assumes you're conscious and able to actively deal with the situation).
https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...ea5f68db01c8d8fd88e86b6d8d9f3ac3&action=click

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...=fc99b7c9fdf0ea233d4759417f11c5d5&action=view

I think probably the things in the video along with a tool like the Wingman are the best ways to best ensure your safety and survival in the case of a fall.

Last edited:

uturn

Also, if anyone wants to convert to a RCH, then its very easy to make your own tether that you can use on a lifeline and leave attached to the lifeline the whole time. I simply use another lineman's rope, or get some 3/8" quality rope, and measure how high I can raise my hand above my head. That's how long I want my tether so when I'm climbing, I can push my prussik knot that high. Then when you step onto your stand, simply leave it attached and push it to your desired height to keep it out of your way. It doesn't make any movement if you keep your lifeline tight.

Spot on...this is almost exactly the way I do it also...you can get all you need at REI!

splatek

UAEC
A guy I know here in SC fell 29’ last fall and he will never be the same. Shattered his femur and his pelvis along with a broken ankle.

Have always hated a harness - started with the cheap ones that come with the stands and moved to a vest style about 5 years ago but to be honest, I have done a very poor job of keeping it on.

Not as young any more (mid 60’s) and need to become more responsible.

I am a ladder stand guy and no longer hunt from climbers and lock on’s.

Additionally, I have a very real fear of heights - I cannot recall the last time I shot a deer standing up. I get in the stand and get my butt where it belongs - on the seat.

Almost the only thing I stand up for is to urinate.

I am fine at 20 - 25’ feet - just need a seat and a rail out in front of me (crossbow hunter).

Comfort and convenience, along with the ease of putting the harness on - will be key for me. I do not like my vest harness. It seems to perpetually be tangled up and it blocks a good many of my pockets.

My buddy uses a very light rock climbing harness and am considering this route. All of the harness is on your lower body.

Thoughts and suggestions, folks?

Thanks !!

View attachment 1035171

didn’t read all the replies, but a rock climbing harness is designed for falls much higher. you could also get a hunting saddle, comfortable for the most part. sorry to hear about your buddy. One of my scariest moments in my 46 years was when the bottom dropped out from my climber. I was harnessed but still scared the living bejesus outta me

Ugahunter2013

For dealing with what to do if fall start at about the 9 minute mark of the video (everything in this assumes you're conscious and able to actively deal with the situation).
https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...ea5f68db01c8d8fd88e86b6d8d9f3ac3&action=click

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...=fc99b7c9fdf0ea233d4759417f11c5d5&action=view

I think probably the things in the video along with a tool like the Wingman are the best ways to best ensure your safety and survival in the case of a fall.

Thanks for the vids. I guess if you do fall, the idea is to call for help. I wasn't sure if there was a way to get down the tree. I guess you could shimmy down but that would be difficult to move the strap down at the same time.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Thanks for the vids. I guess if you do fall, the idea is to call for help. I wasn't sure if there was a way to get down the tree. I guess you could shimmy down but that would be difficult to move the strap down at the same time.
A climbing knot will repel you down.
Blake’s hitch is one.