Harness question and thoughts? (horror story included from 2019)

TomC

I hated vests until I bought a Muddy. Straps are thin, doesn't block pockets like a lot of vests, easy on and off, light and not bulky.

uturn

Rock climbing harness are made for climbers...that kinda says it all for me! Once you roll out a few times with one you will be amazed!

And as an added bonus when you chill down or heat up and want to add a piece or take your heavy jacket off..bingo nothing in the way!

Don't think you’ll ever look back! I use a Black Diamond from REI..you‘ll be tweaking your lock-on, climber and ladder lanyard or tether length etc until you feel good about what works for you!

I tend to have mine a little long most times and choke up my pussiac to what feels comfy to me that day and tree if that makes any sense? I also buy the lines from REI and make most of my own...I have a few super light ones too they REI have some real good products.

Good luck Jim!

Last edited:

nmurph

I've been using a climbing harness for several years. Before that, I was using a swiss seat made by using a single piece of rope. I took a mountaineering class in college and spent many days hanging over the side of the ROTC rappelling tower. I don't like the hunting harnesses bc I don't want to be left hanging with my back to the tree. I also keep a piece of rope in a pocket so that I can self-rescue off of the safety line.

Edited to add: a properly adjusted climbing harness is on your waist...above your pelvic bones. The rope is clipped in above that. There is little chance you are going to invert in a deer hunting situation. Also, I would rather take my chances with a climbing harness when I can easily self-rescue.

Last edited:

shdw633

That's what I have. Is adjustable and reusable.

Big question what are your legs or your life worth. Can spend $120 on a Wingman and it'll slowly and gently lower you to the ground if you fall out of the ladder stand.

I have the Primal Descender but am looking hard at the Wingman because it looks so much lighter, just not sure I like the additional strapping hanging around.

Kev

My dad fell from the top step of a box stand and shattered his spine. He somehow lived but has been messed up since. Always thought a box stand was safe until then.

flintlock hunter

If the belt slips up around your chest in a fall you probably won't be able to breathe.

Actually, you can breathe. If my health problems allowed me to breathe like normal people I would be able to wear a regular harness without problems. Unfortunately for me, I'm in a catch 22 where belts/harnesses are concerned, and wanted to share the difficulties with others who still hunt with less than 50% of heart capacity.

The old style belts do not tighten on their own, but you are correct about that making breathing more difficult, but for my situation those belts are the lessor of two evils.

flintlock hunter

That's what I have. Is adjustable and reusable.

Big question what are your legs or your life worth. Can spend $120 on a Wingman and it'll slowly and gently lower you to the ground if you fall out of the ladder stand.

I WILL be checking into the Wingman. If it does what you're saying, and I am not saying otherwise, that may just be what I need to prevent the problems discussed previously. Iknow this was intended for Jim Boyd, but thank you for sharing.

ringorock

I use an HSS Ultra-Lite Flex Realtree Xtra Safety Harness with a slow release tether. The tether is bulky, but it just lowers me from the tree if I fall or so I hope. The harness is super comfortable unlike the ones that come with a climber.

j_seph

So how many of y'all have actually fell from a deer stand with the climbing harness on. Meaning not intentionally fell to try it out but like oops kind of fell out?

TimBray

One other thing comes to mind. I have always put my harness on UNDER my jacket/coveralls. Laid the tether over my shoulder until I had my jacket or coveralls on. Much more comfortable to me at least.

Albuds

A guy I know here in SC fell 29’ last fall and he will never be the same. Shattered his femur and his pelvis along with a broken ankle.

Have always hated a harness - started with the cheap ones that come with the stands and moved to a vest style about 5 years ago but to be honest, I have done a very poor job of keeping it on.

Not as young any more (mid 60’s) and need to become more responsible.

I am a ladder stand guy and no longer hunt from climbers and lock on’s.

Additionally, I have a very real fear of heights - I cannot recall the last time I shot a deer standing up. I get in the stand and get my butt where it belongs - on the seat.

Almost the only thing I stand up for is to urinate.

I am fine at 20 - 25’ feet - just need a seat and a rail out in front of me (crossbow hunter).

Comfort and convenience, along with the ease of putting the harness on - will be key for me. I do not like my vest harness. It seems to perpetually be tangled up and it blocks a good many of my pockets.

My buddy uses a very light rock climbing harness and am considering this route. All of the harness is on your lower body.

Thoughts and suggestions, folks?

Thanks !!

View attachment 1035171
I’ve
A guy I know here in SC fell 29’ last fall and he will never be the same. Shattered his femur and his pelvis along with a broken ankle.

Have always hated a harness - started with the cheap ones that come with the stands and moved to a vest style about 5 years ago but to be honest, I have done a very poor job of keeping it on.

Not as young any more (mid 60’s) and need to become more responsible.

I am a ladder stand guy and no longer hunt from climbers and lock on’s.

Additionally, I have a very real fear of heights - I cannot recall the last time I shot a deer standing up. I get in the stand and get my butt where it belongs - on the seat.

Almost the only thing I stand up for is to urinate.

I am fine at 20 - 25’ feet - just need a seat and a rail out in front of me (crossbow hunter).

Comfort and convenience, along with the ease of putting the harness on - will be key for me. I do not like my vest harness. It seems to perpetually be tangled up and it blocks a good many of my pockets.

My buddy uses a very light rock climbing harness and am considering this route. All of the harness is on your lower body.

Thoughts and suggestions, folks?

Thanks !!

View attachment 1035171
I’ve had safety ropes installed on all our ladder stands for the past 4-5 years and wear a rock climbing harness from REI. Never climb a stand without it and find the harness very comfortable. If you are concerned about using the prussic knot to get back down if you do fall would highly recommend the Treestand Wingman.
https://treestandwingman.com/

Kris87

I've been wearing a rock climbing harness for 7 years. Way safer than a full body harness, which is absolutely more difficult to get yourself back into the stand while wearing.

And for those asking how you don't turn upside down? Well, I'd defer to the guys who cut trees for a living, or the rock climbers, who fall more than deer hunters. If any of you have actually tested a rock climbing harness vs a full body harness, hanging from a tree, you'd already know the answer which you'd wear.

D

Deleted member 35556

What can you self rescue in? These harnesses are great, they're all I use. I've also confirmed that if I come out of the stand, that I can self rescue and get back in with this on. I've also confirmed that I could get down a tree of certain sizes, if I needed to. Both types will arrest a fall as they should. A Rock climbing harness can be worn into the woods, can be worn under coveralls. It's non-intrusive for the most part. But above all else - the thing you wear is the thing you should buy.

Marsupial

Banned
At work guys wear the belt rock climbing harnesses all day, everyday. Working on roofs. You can not end up upside down or slide out. We’ve tried. You can hang in them too. They are more comfortable and safer than treestand harnesses. Cheaper too. The only downside is tether is in front of you instead of behind you.

ssramage

So how many of y'all have actually fell from a deer stand with the climbing harness on. Meaning not intentionally fell to try it out but like oops kind of fell out?

I have not, but I almost did, and I would have looked really foolish.

Last year, I was scouting for a tree for my climber and decided to do a "test run" up and down prior to hunting the next morning. I was wearing my harness but was in a hurry so I was just going to strap in at height. I ran up the tree went to turn to grab the tree strap, and my pants caught the side of my climber, twisting it off the tree. I grabbed a branch to stop my fall. Shook me up and reminded me how stupid I would look to be wearing a harness, and still fall.

@Jim Boyd , I wear an older Muddy Pro Harness. It's lightweight and I hardly know it's there. It even has a built in bino harness on the front straps that I've used a bunch. I may replace it this year because it's pretty old, but I've never been uncomfortable in it, even in the hottest weather.

Kris87

I used to rappel upside down in a normal climbing harness as a kid. I guess it really depends on body shape.

Proper fitment more than anything. I don't know why people think they'd turn upside down and fall out. I've never understood that.

shdw633

Unless I read this wrong, the article does not mention harness style and also says he got tangled up.

Wrap anything around you at the wrong point and of course you can hang upside down.

It was one of the stories that came up when I looked up hanging up side down in a climbing harness. Point was that it happens and that it is possible to happen. If you are young than it is not a big deal, but if you are older than it can be a big deal. Any harness can be dangerous for an older person as they may not necessarily have the strength or endurance at times to get themselves out of a tough situation and hanging from a harness can put you in a dangerous situation; which is why I recommend one of the safety descender's with whatever harness you go with.