Harness question and thoughts? (horror story included from 2019)

Jim Boyd

A guy I know here in SC fell 29’ last fall and he will never be the same. Shattered his femur and his pelvis along with a broken ankle.

Have always hated a harness - started with the cheap ones that come with the stands and moved to a vest style about 5 years ago but to be honest, I have done a very poor job of keeping it on.

Not as young any more (mid 60’s) and need to become more responsible.

I am a ladder stand guy and no longer hunt from climbers and lock on’s.

Additionally, I have a very real fear of heights - I cannot recall the last time I shot a deer standing up. I get in the stand and get my butt where it belongs - on the seat.

Almost the only thing I stand up for is to urinate.

I am fine at 20 - 25’ feet - just need a seat and a rail out in front of me (crossbow hunter).

Comfort and convenience, along with the ease of putting the harness on - will be key for me. I do not like my vest harness. It seems to perpetually be tangled up and it blocks a good many of my pockets.

My buddy uses a very light rock climbing harness and am considering this route. All of the harness is on your lower body.

Thoughts and suggestions, folks?

Thanks !!

2FAD6946-4493-4A65-B186-CF6A2B2366A0.png

Last edited:

Triple C

Jim - I'd suggest you reach out to Al33 or Jerry Russell in the trad bow section. Both wear the rock climbing harness (very similar to the one above), with the tether in front about waist high rather than in back over your head. Simply slide the tether under your armpit and you're good to go. In the case of a fall, the climbing harnesses orient you facing the tree with the tether in front of you whereas the over the back has you dangling facing away from the tree with nothing to grab to swing you around. I haven't made the switch yet but loved his setup when I saw it.

shdw633

Jim - I'd suggest you reach out to Al33 or Jerry Russell in the trad bow section. Both wear the rock climbing harness (very similar to the one above), with the tether in front about waist high rather than in back over your head. Simply slide the tether under your armpit and you're good to go. In the case of a fall, the climbing harnesses orient you facing the tree with the tether in front of you whereas the over the back has you dangling facing away from the tree with nothing to grab to swing you around. I haven't made the switch yet but loved his setup when I saw it.

I have thought about it but am afraid of ending upside down and not being able to upright myself.

flintlock hunter

My heart problem leaves me with some severe circulation trouble, the kind where 1000gm Thinsulate boots need a bit of an assist for the feet to put up with the cold Pa winter deer seasons. The leg securing part of the harnesses I've looked at have me convinced I would risk losing my legs if I ended up dangling in the harness very long.

I've elected to take my chances with the old belt type safety belt, and only hunt either off the Quad, (I have the handicapped permits), or my ladder stands with shooting rails. I try to maintain the belt about chest high so I stay uprite if I fall.

shdw633

My heart problem leaves me with some severe circulation trouble, the kind where 1000gm Thinsulate boots need a bit of an assist for the feet to put up with the cold Pa winter deer seasons. The leg securing part of the harnesses I've looked at have me convinced I would risk losing my legs if I ended up dangling in the harness very long.

I've elected to take my chances with the old belt type safety belt, and only hunt either off the Quad, (I have the handicapped permits), or my ladder stands with shooting rails. I try to maintain the belt about chest high so I stay uprite if I fall.

Best thing you can have in a stand with you to assure you won't be hanging there to long.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/primal-tree-stands-descender-fall-arrest-system?

The one I sent a link to is a one time use device but they do make a reusable one that will run you over $100 but for individuals, like myself, the peace of mind that comes with knowing I am not going to be left hanging out there, because I can't get back into my stand after falling out, is priceless

shdw633

Best thing you can have in a stand with you to assure you won't be hanging there to long.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/primal-tree-stands-descender-fall-arrest-system?

The one I sent a link to is a one time use device but they do make a reusable one that will run you over $100 but for individuals, like myself, the peace of mind that comes with knowing I am not going to be left hanging out there, because I can't get back into my stand after falling out, is priceless

This is the reusable device:

https://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Syst...1PCWRNQKD7T&psc=1&refRID=MRPJ3RY8D1PCWRNQKD7T

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I have thought about it but am afraid of ending upside down and not being able to upright myself.

This.^ 4 point harness system for me personally.

Ray357

AWOL
A guy I know here in SC fell 29’ last fall and he will never be the same. Shattered his femur and his pelvis along with a broken ankle.

Have always hated a harness - started with the cheap ones that come with the stands and moved to a vest style about 5 years ago but to be honest, I have done a very poor job of keeping it on.

Not as young any more (mid 60’s) and need to become more responsible.

I am a ladder stand guy and no longer hunt from climbers and lock on’s.

Additionally, I have a very real fear of heights - I cannot recall the last time I shot a deer standing up. I get in the stand and get my butt where it belongs - on the seat.

Almost the only thing I stand up for is to urinate.

I am fine at 20 - 25’ feet - just need a seat and a rail out in front of me (crossbow hunter).

Comfort and convenience, along with the ease of putting the harness on - will be key for me. I do not like my vest harness. It seems to perpetually be tangled up and it blocks a good many of my pockets.

My buddy uses a very light rock climbing harness and am considering this route. All of the harness is on your lower body.

Thoughts and suggestions, folks?

Thanks !!

View attachment 1035171
I have never used on for hunting, but I have for rock climbing. They should work fine so long as you are in a ladder stand. Last thing you need is to get stuck dangling upside down with no way to right yourself.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Whichever route you go, get used to wearing it at all times and then start using a lifeline on your ladders just like on lockons. I promise you that after you use it a few times you will feel neked without it. You never have to untie and the majority of the danger of falling from a ladder is slipping on a rung or the ladder shifting when climbing up or down

Triple C

I've personally never worn a rock-climbing harness. Perhaps Al will see this and weigh in. dmwolfskin also wears the rock climbing harness. Whoever turned them on to them (I think it was Mr. Russell), demonstrated a fall with rock climbing vs standard hunting harness. Apparently the fall arrests you upright due to the leg straps supporting your lower body and orients you facing the tree where you can grab the tether or the tree. This should turn in to a good thread with more weighing in that wear both.

j_seph

What keeps one from falling upside down and sliding out of rock-climbing harness

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I can only add about tree climbing harnesses. The ones that are smaller seem to hold you upright whereas the large one’s can turn me upside down if not careful. My next harness will be again an undersized one on the last couple of belt holes. In case some of you may think you need oversized due to heavy clothes. I recommend one size under.

TimBray

Worn one since the late 80s after I nearly fell out of a tree about 35' in the air. And about the same time a friend was a volunteer for the FD in his community in Morga County. They got a call for a hunter that fell out of the stand. He was about 15' up in one of the old board-in-the-vee of 2 trees. Fell asleep and fell out. Rifle landed barrel-first evidently as he landed on it with his chest and drove it into the ground up to the trigger guard. I can't remember if he passed in the ambulance or at the hospital. That story will stick with me forever.
Don't use a climber anymore but need to get something for a ladderstand when I do go.

DAVE

If the belt slips up around your chest in a fall you probably won't be able to breathe.