Grady County

joedublin

Maybe they are working their way west to around Whigham and Climax...and maybe I'll get lucky next week....sure hope so !

Tailfeather

Finished up with a big doe. Never got a shot at any of the bucks I was after. Had a fine time, regardless. On to quail and especially turkeys.:D

joedublin

Last 4 days of the season I sat on a big open field and had 2 big 8-points , on different days, chasing the heck out of 3 does. The bigger one gave me a good, standing still broadside shot at about 60 yards and I put him down. Seems like our SW Grady county lease is just a last week or two of the season spot. What we all really need is for the season to start a week later and then last for a week longer.

joedublin

SW Grady county went into the chasing part of the rut the second week of January...didn't leave us much time to put venison in the freezer. We need another week or two !

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Joe, we saw about the same over here in Miller/Early county line. Season went out, bucks still chasing. In fact here it is, late in Jan, and i saw chasing sign on our roads two days ago. I've actually gone and sat in stands a week or two after the season closed in past years to see if i would have killed anything. Saw better bucks than i had all season both times. One sitting, rattled up five rack bucks, and one was a stud. They came in so fast from different directions, they were scaring one another. And all i could do was watch.

joedublin

Buck activity after season closes

That's why we badly need to have the extreme SW part of GA season to start a month later and then be extended for a month, until Feb.15. We miss the best part of the rut the way it is now !

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ur right Joe, they're rutting on our property right now in Miller County. Fresh scrapes, chasing sign all over the roads and plots etc. This missed activity would probably have gotten some of those smart ol nocturnal bucks killed if the season was still in. I wouldn't be hunting though, got my two before the season went out. Both were old bucks over five years of age. But that doesn't always happen as most of us know.

Attachments

• A299.jpg
    A299.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 316

rvick

we have been trying to put my 90 year old uncle on one of the big ol gobblers that are running around the farm here in thomas co. but my aunt has been in hospital so he has to stay close to home. my friend from calvary/reno area has 2 nice ones already. J., you probably know him, he teaches wildlife management at the tech college here, i listened to one gobble most of the afternoon a couple days ago. C. bought a new flats boat & we spent the most perfect turkey huntin day ever last week catching speckled trout & such. was a great day fishing tho. Mossy Oak crew will be here in 2 weeks to do tracking dog show. Good luck on those turkeys.

jimbar

Rvick, I let one get by me down here in Florida last Sunday, 20 minutes later it was killed by an 86 year old man, so glad I didn't take a shot at it. Im going to get up there Saturday afternoon and check my cameras in Ochlocknee and Reno, hopefully they'll tell me where to go Sunday morning.

Tailfeather

Congrats, Lefty. Randy, just got fortunate to find these two without any ladies. Taking my son on the River Creek adult/child hunt Fri-Sun. Can't wait.....Good luck, fellas.

Attachments

• IMG_20150322_075421397_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150322_075421397_HDR.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_20150321_140027.jpg
    IMG_20150321_140027.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 208

southGAlefty

Lucked up on #2 yesterday morning, first time I've been able to get out the house since we had our little girl April 1. Seems like it's getting right, the hens weren't as much of a problem as they were opening weekend.

rvick

Tailfeather with the nice tom he took on a "semi" guided hunt on the RVick farm in Thomas Co. 10 inch beard, 1&1/16 spurs. Thanx for letting the big one walk, Joe! Watch for ol' Tom's brief appearance on an upcoming episode of Mossy Oak's Gamekeepers.

Attachments

• IMG_20150416_102809.jpg
    IMG_20150416_102809.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

joedublin

We have only 10 members in our club and I'm still tryin' to get some of them to shoot turkeys as well as deer. So many turkeys on the land that it's hard to get to the deer stand without them raisin' a ruckus and alarming every deer in the area.

Tailfeather

Don't forget me, Joe, when y'all need members. Or even turkey only membership if nothing else!!